Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.03 Released  (Read 123776 times)

smariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.03 Released
« Reply #135 on: April 14, 2010, 11:19:19 am »

Linux!!!!!! :(

I'm playing in Linux with WINE. It works 'perfectly'. Perfect in this case meaning identical to how it works in Windows, which is admittedly less than perfect.
Likes schrödinbugs for their reality destroying implications.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 14, 2010, 11:34:39 am »

Linux!!!!!! :(

I'm playing in Linux with WINE. It works 'perfectly'. Perfect in this case meaning identical to how it works in Windows, which is admittedly less than perfect.
We just have to wait for the native client... these things take time.  When it's merged with the 40d# line things will be better for us Linux users...

(also, FYI Footkerchief:  I'm most definitely a he.  ;D)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 14, 2010, 11:47:23 am »

From bug log -- "   Adventurers and dwarves melt in rain/water"

One of the reasons I have been loathe to play the fort I started was this.  It seems that most the active players are not as concerned with this...  Does this just happen very rarely, or is the work around easy, or at least easy for some types of players, or why is this not something anyone is mentioning?

The descriptions I have seen of it in action seem to indicate it is a real fortress breaker, so I am curious as to why I seem to be the only one in this thread so far who is sort of waiting on this fix before continuing playing.

Thanks!  And yeah, I'll add mine to the litany of voices praising the speed with which major fixes are being implemented.  Very appreciated by the world weary Alpha tester.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 14, 2010, 12:01:32 pm »

^^^ It's dependent on worldgen parameters in ways that aren't yet entirely clear.  Some worlds don't seem to get it at all.  There's a good chance your fort would be fine.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 14, 2010, 12:15:35 pm »

I imagine that even if you have a world that has that issue you could just turn weather off too.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 14, 2010, 12:24:44 pm »

From bug log -- "   Adventurers and dwarves melt in rain/water"

One of the reasons I have been loathe to play the fort I started was this.  It seems that most the active players are not as concerned with this...  Does this just happen very rarely, or is the work around easy, or at least easy for some types of players, or why is this not something anyone is mentioning?

The descriptions I have seen of it in action seem to indicate it is a real fortress breaker, so I am curious as to why I seem to be the only one in this thread so far who is sort of waiting on this fix before continuing playing.

Thanks!  And yeah, I'll add mine to the litany of voices praising the speed with which major fixes are being implemented.  Very appreciated by the world weary Alpha tester.

Neither I nor the other handful of DF players I know personally have encountered this one. I'm muddling by with a shoddy military until training works right, but there's plenty of other stuff to explore till that gets squashed.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 14, 2010, 12:42:20 pm »

I think the melting has more to do with temperature than rain... at least from my reading of the comments.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 14, 2010, 12:48:47 pm »

Hi!

I have not encountered this bug in any of the 31.0x fortresses myself, so I can confirm that it is probably a question of luck at the moment.

I suggest you do not worry too much about it and start playing anyway...

Deathworks

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 14, 2010, 12:54:36 pm »

Yea I guess you're right, I'll go and take a stab at messing around in Fort mode, arena mode is starting to get a bit boring and could do something else for a change.

Urist McRamirez!

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 14, 2010, 03:11:40 pm »

when will the port be? I cant be the only Mac user...right?  :P
Kissing the sergeants boo boos since 2009

daoist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 14, 2010, 04:05:44 pm »

After your first rainfall you'll know if your dwarfs are going to melt or not. If so, just generate a new world and try again. It's not like you're going to be 70% into a megaproject and your miners start melting.

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 14, 2010, 04:54:07 pm »

iFeelyourpain.

zxcvmnb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 14, 2010, 07:17:29 pm »

[...]
Transparency is always good in the dev proccess.
[...]

I'm not so sure about "always". I think in this case it's a very good thing, but in some other closed-source projects, such tranparency simply led to massive crises at even the slightest hiccup, with flamewars immediately erupting over which bugs the developer ought to deal with first, trends in the rate of progress, whether it was acceptable to mention the delay at all, the possible causes, the fate of the project, the fate of donations, plans for replacement projects, etc.... Fun times. That isn't likely here, though.

Geti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 14, 2010, 07:22:07 pm »

Surely you can get WINE of some sort working. DarWINE isn't too terrible afaik, but then again I'm not using osx so I wouldn't know.

EsnRedshirt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 14, 2010, 08:22:19 pm »

Has anyone noticed some extremely long load times in this version compared to the last one? (0.31.01-02). I aborted loading a game after it sat on the load screen for 25 minutes. Thinking it was possibly the world, I tried to gen a new one- and stopped it at year 324, since it was taking around 40 seconds per year... Wondering what's up with that; I haven't seen those sort of slowdowns before.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23