Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.03 Released  (Read 123819 times)

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.03 Released
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2010, 07:08:34 am »

Nice, pathfinding finally fixed. I'll wait until the two other major gamebreakers are fixed before I start an actual fort, though. Talking about military (equipment/training) issues, and the broken healthcare.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

nataq

• Bay Watcher
  • Atheist
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2010, 07:36:41 am »

after everyone in squad dies, squad doesnt disapear from military menu, after you target it in military menu game crashes.
"If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people."

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2010, 07:44:17 am »

On a more serious note, kudos on the rapid patches.  I'm impressed to see such frequent updates after such a massive release.

Believe it or not, this is how things usually were prior to Toady starting on the overhaul of the game. After a new version release, bug fixes usually came out every 3-7 days and eventually trickled off until the game was in a more or less stable state.  A new version would then be worked on and released incrementally (usually every week or two or so) until enough changes accumulated where bug fixing was needed.  Prior to v.31.x, the longest dry spell between releases was somewhere in the realm of 3 or 4 months.  This latest Sahara'esque run was really an anomaly.

Feels great to be on a regular schedule again!  XD

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2010, 08:08:10 am »

On a more serious note, kudos on the rapid patches.  I'm impressed to see such frequent updates after such a massive release.

Believe it or not, this is how things usually were prior to Toady starting on the overhaul of the game. After a new version release, bug fixes usually came out every 3-7 days and eventually trickled off until the game was in a more or less stable state.  A new version would then be worked on and released incrementally (usually every week or two or so) until enough changes accumulated where bug fixing was needed.  Prior to v.31.x, the longest dry spell between releases was somewhere in the realm of 3 or 4 months.  This latest Sahara'esque run was really an anomaly.

Feels great to be on a regular schedule again!  XD

That beak was closer to 9 months and back then Toady added a whole new dimension to the game. ;)

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2010, 08:09:38 am »

Eh...I'm getting old and my memory is rusty. 

*mumbles something about damn kids and lawns*

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2010, 08:46:55 am »

My dwarves have definitely, without a doubt, carried metal flasks and put booze in them, in the 0.31.02.  It *might* have only been flasks that I traded for, and not made myself.  I'm at work, but I encourage others to test this out with the new version ;p

Also, Toady, I remember reading something in the Devlog about dwarves carrying around flasks to drink from. I made a bunch of metal flasks for my dorfs, only to have them ignored. I ended up trading them to the Elves for much-needed food. Is this still in, or did I somehow get the Future Dev and Devlog mixed up?

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2010, 09:20:01 am »

No one mentioned melting dwarves.  I noted that Toady's post said something about melting, but it was unclear to me as to whether it was related.

Matthew117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2010, 09:35:49 am »

I was worried I would have to wait another 2-3 months for the bug fix release. So these frequent releases are welcome. I hope the next release fixes healthcare and milliary though those are the ones that really affected me.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2010, 09:41:57 am »

Thank you so much Toady for fixing the two worst game-breakers within the month!
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2010, 09:42:23 am »

I was worried I would have to wait another 2-3 months for the bug fix release. So these frequent releases are welcome. I hope the next release fixes healthcare and milliary though those are the ones that really affected me.

I really want combat fixed. fundamentals first, yo.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2010, 10:45:39 am »

I've found that the chases are a little less ridiculous if you have a squad of just one dwarf with an axe chopping up the annoyance grade wild animals.

Except that it's now almost impossible to get squads to use weapons. They just leave them in the stockpile. Maybe it's because they are claimed for other squads or civilians, but it requires a stupid level of micromanagement (inspecting each dwarf's inventory etc.) to put right, and that's assuming there is no combat in the meantime. I lost a 20-strong fort to a zombie fox in an epic, year-long battle because no-one would use weapons. They ultimately died of dehydration because, now, even when disbanded, they keep fighting :I
Huh, doesn't setting up a Uniform and setting a squad/individual to use said Uniform get them to, well, get it?
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2010, 11:42:59 am »

I will probably start playing again when millitary is fixed, the old way works better than the new way...
Hello Hunam

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2010, 11:50:43 am »

Personally I like the way the new military works, it just needs some bug fixes and it should be fine.  You can still treat squads like you did in the last release, just leave them on inactive. If they're on inactive then they only follow given commands.  Switch it onto active when you want the squad to train, as that's the default.  I don't understand why people would like the old way when it didn't really give you any options, other than that they were just more used to it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2010, 11:54:44 am »

I don't understand why people would like the old way when it didn't really give you any options, other than that they were just more used to it.

Because you could accomplish basic tasks (e.g. recruit one of your starting seven as a wrestler) with both fewer keystrokes and less mental effort spent evaluating all the crap the screen throws at you.  The new interface gives you so many options for complex use cases that it actually makes the simple ones more difficult than before.  And then there's:
- the strange and inconsistent semantics -- "Alert," "Alert State," and "Schedule" are all vaguely interchangeable
- various places where the interface allows meaningless input, e.g. switching squad positions in the middle of a weapon assignment
- crucial information that's unnecessarily hard to find, e.g. (o)rder toggle in the scheduling screen which would obviously work better as a list
- information that makes bad use of physical space, e.g. the equipment assignment keys/labels are a jumbled mess when they should be a tidy list like the main Fort Mode menu

To me, the interface sucks as much as it's possible to suck while still being vaguely usable.  But that's all a matter for one of these threads:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=53010.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=53744.0
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 12:28:14 pm by Footkerchief »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2010, 12:12:54 pm »

Yea, Toady should have kept to the KISS mentality with that screen. I understand its a completely new system, but still....
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23