Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.03 Released  (Read 123737 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.03 Released
« Reply #270 on: April 29, 2010, 01:48:01 pm »

^^^ Turn on PARTIAL_PRINT in init.txt if you haven't already.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 29, 2010, 02:17:43 pm »

I'm playing in Linux with WINE. It works 'perfectly'. Perfect in this case meaning identical to how it works in Windows, which is admittedly less than perfect.

I've tried running the new DF via WINE on my new iMac; load times, world gen, and general frame rate are all abysmally slow.  Am I doing something wrong, or was this an issue with DF itself?  It seems like some people were also having similar problems, and that the most recent update resolved them.

Either way, I'm guessing it's going to be a while before a mac-compatable version of the new-and-improved DF is released...
Personally, it feels like load times are much slower in the new version (31.03) than the last (40d)... in the Windows build.  I haven't tried running it in Wine yet.  The first few times on embark when I thought the game crashed, but it was taking extremely long to save and load.  (I'm also running it on the same RAID 0+1 array as I was before.)  In game is faster though.

edit: I have not tried turning off compression in the init which may help (depending on how Toady is de/compressing the data...)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Yobgod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 29, 2010, 08:29:59 pm »

I'm in WINE as well, and the load/save times are indeed terrible, but other than that the game runs fine for me.
Unfortunately, I can't say the same for Dwarf Therapist, which has no visible text.

My system is getting a little aged, but it's replacement is under construction. We'll see if that makes any difference...

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 01, 2010, 01:04:48 am »

I'm in WINE as well, and the load/save times are indeed terrible, but other than that the game runs fine for me.
Unfortunately, I can't say the same for Dwarf Therapist, which has no visible text.

My system is getting a little aged, but it's replacement is under construction. We'll see if that makes any difference...
My load times are terrible too. Don't think it's just you.
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 01, 2010, 01:25:03 am »

I'm playing in Linux with WINE. It works 'perfectly'. Perfect in this case meaning identical to how it works in Windows, which is admittedly less than perfect.

I've tried running the new DF via WINE on my new iMac; load times, world gen, and general frame rate are all abysmally slow.  Am I doing something wrong, or was this an issue with DF itself?  It seems like some people were also having similar problems, and that the most recent update resolved them.

Either way, I'm guessing it's going to be a while before a mac-compatable version of the new-and-improved DF is released...
Personally, it feels like load times are much slower in the new version (31.03) than the last (40d)... in the Windows build.  I haven't tried running it in Wine yet.  The first few times on embark when I thought the game crashed, but it was taking extremely long to save and load.  (I'm also running it on the same RAID 0+1 array as I was before.)  In game is faster though.

edit: I have not tried turning off compression in the init which may help (depending on how Toady is de/compressing the data...)

Nah, I have compression off and it loads a lot slower than 40d. Likely due to the new underground features.
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 03, 2010, 08:56:18 am »

While I was working on the adventure mode screens update, Scamps ran into the room and jumped up on my arm so that he was hanging from it briefly with his front claws. That startled me and I swung to the right, knocking my desk and banging my knee into my tower. Somehow that popped the case open, and when I looked down my computer was laying open on its side with my phone sitting inside of it on top of the motherboard next to a spinning fan. It seems fine, though. I guess the memory is in perpetual danger though, from falling phones and stuff. Scamps, who was crouched right next to the scene with his little tail wagging, got a ten minute timeout.

Uh oh, Scamps almost screwed up Toady's PC.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 03, 2010, 09:53:24 am »

Makes me think we need a new ethics token.

[ETHIC:CAT_HI-JINKS:PUNISH_TEN_MINUTE_TIMEOUT]
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 03, 2010, 12:03:45 pm »

While I was working on the adventure mode screens update, Scamps ran into the room and jumped up on my arm so that he was hanging from it briefly with his front claws. That startled me and I swung to the right, knocking my desk and banging my knee into my tower. Somehow that popped the case open, and when I looked down my computer was laying open on its side with my phone sitting inside of it on top of the motherboard next to a spinning fan. It seems fine, though. I guess the memory is in perpetual danger though, from falling phones and stuff. Scamps, who was crouched right next to the scene with his little tail wagging, got a ten minute timeout.

Almost? I mean...a phone fell into his PC who knows what may come up at a later stage(Though I'm no pro but isn't a phone hitting your motherboard or memory a bad thing?). At least he can afford some good hardware now with the latest big donation :D
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 03, 2010, 12:20:09 pm »

Yea, naughty Scamps!

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 03, 2010, 12:49:14 pm »

Perhaps naming him Scamps was a bad thing, as he may now always want to live up to his namesake. At least you didn't name him Goblin... I mean, then Toady would end up with a lot of dwarven children and worthless trinkets.
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 03, 2010, 01:05:34 pm »

Although, maybe he could make them into codemonkeys and get versions out faster.

Who am I kidding. I think any one of us would love to be Tarn's codemonkey.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 03, 2010, 01:25:14 pm »

Codemonkey like fritos. Codemonkey like tab and mountain dew...

Codemonkey want making Dwarf Fortress. Stupid manager Rob.

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 04, 2010, 02:58:57 pm »

Toady, in the future make sure you case is always screwed closed securely.  We do not want a repeat of this incident.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 04, 2010, 03:22:45 pm »

Toady, in the future make sure you case is always screwed closed securely.  We do not want a repeat of this incident.

I recommend surrounding all important parts with a magma trap of some kind. Perhaps replace the cooling system with a flood trap that drains into a pit, which you can then obsidianize.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 04, 2010, 03:59:46 pm »

I don't think magma would be very good as part of a liquid cooled system.  But I'm not sure, my college computer hardware classes seem to say it won't but magma solves everything seems to say it will.

Anyone want to donate a computer, a liquid cooling kit, and a plane ticket to Hawaii for science?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23