Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.03 Released  (Read 123813 times)

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.03 Released
« Reply #180 on: April 16, 2010, 09:24:46 pm »

Mine is...varying.

It takes most of my processor with PARTIAL_PRINT:YES:15-and then it maxes out somewhere around 50 FPS. My cap is set at 100, as usual-but I have occasional debilitating freezes (as in "significant mouse lag") while DF figures...something out.

Generally the only thing I have running is Media Player Classic and a couple Explorer windows open in the background-occasionally, organizing my files has helped DF get its head unstuck from its ass.

I have a gig and a half of RAM, a three-gig pagefile, and a Pentium M (a Pentium III on Pentium IV base.)

The problem is, for some reason, DF isn't using all of my processor-it'll go for maybe five to ten minutes, half an hour at most, running smoothly at 50 FPS, and the second I stop paying attention it roughly and abruptly stops for no apparent reason, dragging my computer along with it (despite the fact that the Task Manager insists that only 20% or so of my processor is in use.) At least two or three times now, this has required that I kill the process from the Task Manager, and I've had to hard reset my computer from an apparent lock twice.

I have only about 30 dwarves and 20 animals, most of them exotic-breeding pairs of Warthogs, Black Bears, Grizzlies, and Dogs. I've tried DF Accelerator, but it didn't seem to do much good.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 16, 2010, 09:30:50 pm »

The problem is, for some reason, DF isn't using all of my processor-it'll go for maybe five to ten minutes, half an hour at most, running smoothly at 50 FPS, and the second I stop paying attention it roughly and abruptly stops for no apparent reason, dragging my computer along with it (despite the fact that the Task Manager insists that only 20% or so of my processor is in use.) At least two or three times now, this has required that I kill the process from the Task Manager, and I've had to hard reset my computer from an apparent lock twice.

What does "stop paying attention" mean?  Switching to another window?

Captain Failmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://chairangaem.blogspot.com
« Reply #182 on: April 16, 2010, 10:55:45 pm »

In case you haven't seen it, G-Flex has a very good thread about the new combat system, and the lack of cumulative effects is one of his main points.  Something vaguely like HP is necessary, yeah, and you don't have to look to exotic syndromes to see why -- the fact that you can fracture a bronze colossus's head (or slash right through a fleshball) an infinite number of times without it falling apart is maybe the single biggest problem with combat, except for the actual bugs of course.

Said syndromes are just an example of something that wouldn't happen in the current simulation, but otherwise should. 'Death by a thousand cuts', however improbable, should be possible.

I do think we're heading in the right direction though, certainly.
A HREF="http://chairangaem.blogspot.com">LOLCHAIR ADVENTURES

finesse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 17, 2010, 08:00:20 am »

So glad to see the Hospital issues being solved.. just the military now and I'll be a happy Dwarf!

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 17, 2010, 08:02:57 am »

I am SO HAPPY to see healthcare fixed! Now I'll only have to wait for military issues to be fixed and then I can start a fort.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 17, 2010, 08:19:29 am »

It's wonderful to see the medical system being fixed. I'm think there's still the plaster powder issue, but beyond that it's looking promising.

All I need is the military system fixed and the immortal collosi and fun stuff fixed and then I'm good to go. But to hold my special game I plan to do, I need the nobles positions fixed, the sleeping in proper beds fixed and the farming issue fixed at the very least.

So far though I'm pleased with the results. Keep at it Toady!
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 17, 2010, 08:44:32 am »

Acid rain fixed too, nice.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

seanose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 17, 2010, 09:14:40 am »

Very much agree: hospital issues was second in priority, right after military, for me.

I've done a bit of fort-building, and had a lot of fun underground, but until I know that using the military page will actually result in an actual army (instead of, say, endless waiting for training), it's been too hard to work up the effort to really learn it.

As soon as hospital+military are done, I'm back underground, baby.

By the way, I *love* the look of how workshops etc now take on much more of the color of their materials.  My fort just looks so rich and varied, now.

Very excited!

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 17, 2010, 12:33:53 pm »

Hi!

While I can only welcome the bug fixes, personally, I consider the spreading blood the biggest regular problem besides the multiplying mayors. Neither of these two can be evaded and can easily cripple your fortress.

Deathworks

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 17, 2010, 06:55:42 pm »

Yea, I'm waiting for the hospital stuff and military stuff to get fixed, although I'm trying to get one started (keep fussing over the particular dwarves on embark)

@Deathworks: You forgot the other issues with nobles.

Also, Toady, could you look into the esc key not working for the choose fort location and preparing for embark screens? That one is particularily annoying for me.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 06:57:36 pm by smjjames »

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 17, 2010, 07:42:48 pm »

What does "stop paying attention" mean?  Switching to another window?

Sometimes, yeah. Other times I'll just open a magazine, note my laptop heating up, and look up to see that DF has wedged its cranium well into its posterior.

Geti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 18, 2010, 05:47:41 am »

Running on a pentium M under arch linux with WINE, performance is better than on another laptop I have access to with windows vista and a core 2 whatever (1.5GHz x2). Conclusion, arch linux is epic win/vista is a resource hog. I only get crash problems, not leaks or locks or whatever else.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 18, 2010, 07:16:07 am »

Am i stupid or animal stockpiles still don't working?
Finis sanctificat media.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 18, 2010, 10:46:05 am »

I finally figured out the military page and managed to kill my first goblin (a thief) with an adequately trained macedwarf after I set the squad to kill.  The dwarfs training stopped and ran out, the ones that were not training at the time ran out without grabbing weapons.  The first dwarf to reach the goblin repeatedly bashed it with a shield.  The next dwarf, who was mace training, smashed the gobin through his silk coat and hit a rib which pushed into the heart and broke it!

Since the game crashed every now and then (usually after four hours of playing and not having set auto save or having manually saved... I upgraded to 31.03.

My problem now, after upgrading from 31.02 to 31.03 is that it crashes every few minutes, either to the desktop or a hard crash, which has made my current fortress unplayable.

igless

finesse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 18, 2010, 08:08:13 pm »

I finally figured out the military page and managed to kill my first goblin (a thief) with an adequately trained macedwarf after I set the squad to kill.  The dwarfs training stopped and ran out, the ones that were not training at the time ran out without grabbing weapons.  The first dwarf to reach the goblin repeatedly bashed it with a shield.  The next dwarf, who was mace training, smashed the gobin through his silk coat and hit a rib which pushed into the heart and broke it!

Since the game crashed every now and then (usually after four hours of playing and not having set auto save or having manually saved... I upgraded to 31.03.

My problem now, after upgrading from 31.02 to 31.03 is that it crashes every few minutes, either to the desktop or a hard crash, which has made my current fortress unplayable.

That's very strange, i've experienced no random crashes.. only one ever on the Military screen, but nothing from just playing.. have you changed anything in the raw's? Did you copy over the new raws into your saved game? Run any game hacks?

Is it possible its something else causing the crashes? drivers/hardware/memory? Do other programs that are resource intensive crash?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23