Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Help me find good rap/hip-hop  (Read 8647 times)

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
Help me find good rap/hip-hop
« on: April 12, 2010, 07:19:48 pm »

I've always avoided the genres because the mainstream stuff is droll and uninteresting. I don't expect B12ers to be the best to ask about this but I'm hoping some of you are listeners.

So recommend me some non-mainstream rap/hip-hop (and if I missed some good mainstream, recommend that also).

Thanks guys.

For people that are following this aswell, I am keeping track of all recommendations in a Grooveshark playlist. Ill be adding to it as we go.

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/playlist/Rap+hip+hop+discovery/27582137

I was able to find most things people suggested. If you haven't heard of Grooveshark, its a huge online song library with a great player. I have no idea how their licensing works, so I recommend trying it out before they are shut down or something.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 08:03:11 pm by Eduren »
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Help me find good rap/hip-hop
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 07:35:59 pm »

This all depends on what you call hip and hop.

Does Disco count?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 07:37:21 pm »

If you think it sounds good, I want to hear it.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 07:41:10 pm »

Is there even such a thing as good rap?

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 07:41:23 pm »

Sage Francis - strongly recommend "Sea Lions", "Crack Pipes", and "Makeshift Patriot"
Aesop Rock - strongly recommend "None Shall Pass"
Fatal Wisdom - "Children of Hecate",  "The Cursed"
Immortal Technique - "Dance with the Devil"

and seriously, you said no mainstream but you're thinking of 50 cent and the like. (rereading you say good mainstream you missed so this counts)
Wu Tang Clan and Notorious B.I.G. CANNOT CANNOT CANNOT be beat. Wu Tang, get C.R.E.A.M., Protect Ya Neck, and Wu Tang Clan ain't nothin ta f** with. And ODBs stuff is especially the best, he was one of the best members.
Biggie Smalls wise, "Notorious Thugs", "Party and Bullshit", "Gimme Da Loot"(my fave by him) and "Nasty Girl" (Then I, whip it out, rubber no doubt is legitimately the best rhyme ever made)
Also Roots, and Kanye West are pretty good for a more hiphop vibe

ALSO!!! GORILLAZ!! Gorillaz is really good hiphop/music in general. "Clint Eastwood" is their best. (Note that I haven't listened to their new one yet, but I heard good things)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 07:43:07 pm by Chutney »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 07:43:34 pm »

Well, I'll take the plunge.  I'm not a fan of the genre in general, but I love any song with strong rhythm.  So I know some good songs, but I'm not familiar with the field.

It may be trite because of how "famous" Windmills already was, but stuff by The Gorillaz is quite good.  will.i.am is pretty talented, so you can check him out.  If you're willing to go back in time a little, Jamiroquai made a lot of great tunes, 20 0 1 and Deeper Underground are probably my favorites but I haven't checked up on them in years.  And I know he's mainstream and all (and that I'll catch a lot of shit for this) but Eminem was famous for a reason.  I'm a fair fan of some of his mid-career stuff, like Run Rabbit Run and Sing For The Moment.

Of course, if you're asking about hip hop and rap at all, you were probably already familiar with all that.  And my niche favorite Gogol Bordello doesn't really count.  I'm interested to hear some good new hip hop myself.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 07:49:52 pm »

Well, here's some that I listen to for the tunes. I generally only listen to instrumental music, so foreign languages work just as well.

More to come later if I can find the URLs and you want it.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 07:53:45 pm »

I don't think Dschingkis Khan really counts as "hip hop" or much like it.  If so, George Clinton & The Parliament Funkadelic definitely do.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 08:00:42 pm »

I don't listen to a lot of HipHop but I can conveniently sort my iTunes by genre.

The Streets (best rap song evar.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veAIHDGghP4

K-Os (breakdancing hobo in this video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryAeRXArVHY

K'naan (from the somalian ghetto)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq0pygjQK74

Sweatshop Union (localish)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_oyQ4jSa8M

Oh, and as Aq. said, The Gorillaz are quite good.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 08:02:26 pm by kinseti »

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 08:02:43 pm »

Thanks guys.

For people that are following this aswell, I am keeping track of all recommendations in a Grooveshark playlist. Ill be adding to it as we go.

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/playlist/Rap+hip+hop+discovery/27582137

I was able to find most things people suggested. If you haven't heard of Grooveshark, its a huge online song library with a great player. I have no idea how their licensing works, so I recommend trying it out before they are shut down or something.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 08:12:24 pm »

By Armok, there is so little real rap in this thread I'm shocked. Dont worry, the doctor is here, and I've got the medication.
I'd recommend starting with a healthy dose of Tupacs All Eyez On Me, probably his best album. After that, take a good dash of early DMX, probably something from Year of the Dog.
Then, once you're feeling strong enough, start with Mobb Deeps The Infamy, and slowly move over to NWA's Straight Outta Compton.
Finally, a relaxing shot of Hieroglyphics will have you all straightened out.
You're probably not feeling the hyphe vibe since you said 'not mainstream,' but I assume you mean contemporary hacks like Bow Wow or...uh...whatevers popular at the moment. But this is a good spray of the best of rap, so try it out and see what ya think.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 08:18:19 pm »

By Armok, there is so little real rap in this thread I'm shocked.

Is it too late to prove my cred by recommending Grand Master Flash and Houdini?  I'm just not a fan of old-school rap/hop.  Not a lot going on besides beatboxing.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 08:21:16 pm »

By Armok, there is so little real rap in this thread I'm shocked.

Is it too late to prove my cred by recommending Grand Master Flash and Houdini?  I'm just not a fan of old-school rap/hop.  Not a lot going on besides beatboxing.

What are you defining as old-school? NWA? Pac? Nas? Or do you mean the real dark ages, back in the late 70's/early 80s? Cuz thats mostly beatboxing, yeah. But by the 90's, you hardly ever see beatboxing anywhere.

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 08:29:06 pm »

Well, musical tastes tend to get flamed, but I hardly like rap at all. That said, there is one rap group that I particularly enjoy, and that is "The Flobots" (or is it just Flobots without the "the")

They rap, they don't talk about their cars, it's all good.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 08:45:23 pm »

Ummm, Kottonmouth Kings has some good stuff at least I think so >_>

Potluck too...

Then again I have very odd tastes that I won't get into here.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7