Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lead Weaponry; Assumed to be overpowered.  (Read 2703 times)

Leotto

• Bay Watcher
  • Rumplord
    • View Profile
Lead Weaponry; Assumed to be overpowered.
« on: April 12, 2010, 04:07:42 pm »

Akigagak mentioned "heavy weaponry (Lead, Gold, Platinum, etc)" can kill a Bronze Colossus.
Spoiler: OP (click to show/hide)

This is I'm guessing attributed to the fact that weapons are practically impervious to damage(afaik), and now in the new version have weapon damage is affected by weight.

I'd test this myself before posting this thread, but… I'm not the exactly greatest empiricist.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lead Weaponry; Assumed to be overpowered.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 04:13:02 pm »

I think the weight of these things simply increases the power because they affect the force....and idk that calculation....but I would suspect just by simple logic that when something heavy is moving fast it will take more to stop it...therefore even a metal demi-god made of bronze will have trouble stopping such a blow with natural armor. So technically these just make it easier to achieve said effects...as for actually killing the bastards.....well thats still a trick and a half

I think this is more true than ever because of the new layer system. As far as I know when a weapon meets a layer it kinda does a roll to see the effects it has on said layer. So when something heavy hits skin => bone => skin (on other side) it will more likely penetrate the layers (mind you that is a horrifically oversimplified model lol)

Also if you do feel the system is unbalanced and all...and right now it is certainly wonky...look at the thread for the community combat balance overhaul. It has one mod in there that affects materials and the other affects the weapons themselves to help alleviate some of the current issues...and they do a pretty good job
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 04:18:51 pm by dennislp3 »

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 04:26:30 pm »

Of course, in real life, the speed at which you can swing your weapon is much more important than its weight - since all weapons of the same type have the same speed multiplier, though, weight is currently much more important in DF. The ideal solution would be, of course, to have each dwarf's Explosive Strength determine the maximum speed they can move their arm at, and Slow Strength determine how much various weights slow them down. Or something in that direction, anyway - thus, your legendary hammerdwarf, Urist Sedilbomrek with her superdwarvenly massive muscles would hit a lot harder with the artifact* gold maul than a steel one, but her squire, Sedil Uristbomrek, isn't strong enough to reach his maximum speed with anything heavier than a bronze warhammer. Not to mention that he would have little in the way of accuracy if he did try to hit someone with it.

*since you can't order your dwarves to construct weapons or armour out of anything softer or heavier than silver, IIRC.

Morac

• Bay Watcher
  • Arming the magma cannon
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 04:41:49 pm »

Of course, in real life, the speed at which you can swing your weapon is much more important than its weight - since all weapons of the same type have the same speed multiplier, though, weight is currently much more important in DF. The ideal solution would be, of course, to have each dwarf's Explosive Strength determine the maximum speed they can move their arm at
Really? My ideal system would have Explosive strength be the kilo-ton yield of a dwarf when colliding with a solid object.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 05:09:09 pm »

as somebody found out in a testing thread, all materials (or metals) have the same strength at the moment. thats why only weight makes a difference at this time.

As to your claim: 50 highly skilled axedwarves have so far been unable to harm the BC in any way.
I've just given the axedwarf group a fully armored BC of their own, equipped with a platinum axe. after a few 100fps minutes, no damage.

Maybe a fix of the metal-system will eventually fix the Bronze Colossus by itself, without the Colossus needing any kind of tweak

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 05:17:05 pm »

What kind of axe? Great or Battle? IIRC, the main issue with bronze collosi is that they're too big for most weapons to deliver an instant-kill blow (ie, chop their head off or just in half), and being immune to all other kinds of death.
Of course, the real problem is that if you can't chop something off in one hit, you can't chop it off at all. If things were changed so that more damaged limbs were easier to chop through, everything would be a lot simpler.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 05:37:39 pm »

I've added 2 more BC to the dwarf team, a platinum and a lead greataxe equipped.

Didnt change a thing, everything glances away. 30 Minutes worth didnt do a thing, and any more time wouldnt add to the value (dwarves and adventurers would just die of dehydration or some crap)

Leotto

• Bay Watcher
  • Rumplord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 05:57:09 pm »

Comparatively… that's what matters.

Give a BC a Adi. Greataxe and he'll cut the hands and feet off of any number of BCs carrying any weapon of any material other than Adi.

But other than that scenario, I've never seen a BC actually take damage that wasn't caused by temperature.

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 06:23:39 pm »

Sufficiently heavy weapons can smash their limbs up pretty good.
I made a creature with bones of slade (otherwise they were basically human), and the additional weight meant that every punch shattered a limb.

KFD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 07:44:02 pm »

toady definitelly needs to add in soem kind of system for super heavy weapons being improbably hard to wield. And in the case of lead, any weapon made of the stuff would be useless. It would bend under its own weight...

Leotto

• Bay Watcher
  • Rumplord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 09:07:53 pm »

Adamantine Coated Slade Two-Handed Sword anyone?

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 09:35:47 pm »

you know adamantine is very very lightweight?
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 09:51:45 pm »

Well the other issue is that without objects taking damage over time a lot of the soft but heavy materials arn't that bad.

A Gold sword that won't break or lose its edge isn't a bad weapon (if you can weild it that is)

Though don't expect any serious combat balances until it gets worked on specifically.

dsi1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 09:56:37 pm »

Which is why he said Admantine coated Slade Two-Handed Sword.

The cutting power of Admantine and the density of Slade combined would be amazing.
Me: I developed a way to catch demons which shoot web, then I forced it to work in a sweatshop and shoot its magma-proof web at children so I can collect it to make clothes.

Friend: Holy shit.

njero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 09:58:00 pm »

That's the point he was making. A ultra-heavy slade sword with a adamantine edge. Keen and weighty, more deadly than a fat philosopher.

Edit:
Bah, dsi1. You ninja you!
these aren't buzzards, they're cliff racers!
Pages: [1] 2