Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reversing harvest order  (Read 412 times)

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reversing harvest order
« on: November 20, 2006, 03:35:00 pm »

Like most other tasks, dwarves harvest plants in last-in-first-out order: the most recent plant to spring up is the first that will get harvested.

This makes "older" plants wither if a lot of crops mature at the same time.  The farmers could handle all of them if they didn't pick the freshest ones first.

I don't know if this would require a big change to the task-queue code, but it's something I'd like anyway.

A related request: could farmers be forced to take "Harvest" jobs before "Plant Seed" jobs?  It's silly watching them plant new crops while they let the old ones wither.

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reversing harvest order
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 06:19:00 pm »

Sounds to me like the job system utilizes a stack right now rather than a queue.  Both are valid programming constructs used for different purposed, but both are very similar.  I don't see how changing from one to another would be difficult.  Maybe it would help with the jobs that just never get done because you keep adding more.  Just a thought.
''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.

qalnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 12:14:00 pm »

You don't really want a queuelike structure for jobs, either. The current stack model works kind of well for most things, with the possible noted exception of harvesting (which, frankly I've never even had a problem with).

It's not ideal, but given the choice between a stack and a queue a stack wins hands down.

The problem with a queue is that, if you thought there were problems with some jobs never getting done before, just wait until the jobs you really really want to get done aren't getting done because they're still busy hauling rock from 3 gaming sessions back.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 01:21:00 pm »

is it me.. or does farmer harvest only literally means "growers" harvest only as opposed to those with any farming job?

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 04:37:00 pm »

I think I agree that stack is better than queue for many tasks, but a queue is more suited to harvesting due to time and spoilage.

Food hauling might also be a candidate for a queue instead of a stack, for the same reason.  Although in that case what's needed is a distinction between spoiling and non-spoiling foods (seeds/anything in barrels), with spoiling foods getting priority.

Kitchens and butcher's shops are very rot-prone, but having the worker clear his own shop (as discussed in this thread) would take care of that problem nicely.

Walker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 10:04:00 pm »

I was giving the stack/queue issue some thought yesterday, and ideally I'd like some way to reverse it for some jobs.  Both harvesting and mining come to mind immediately.  Or have some way to designate priorites that jump the queue.  The biggest problem I'm finding is that as I expand, I tend to add up the jobs in the order I want them done, but of course they get done in the last in-first out order, which actually slows down my development...

This as far as I am concerned is an interface issue, as if I don't add the jobs to the map I have to either make notes outside of the game to add it later, or simply try to remember the add-ons between sessions.  Either of those solutions are less than ideal in a game this complex.

Obviously as your building and planning get more routine, through more play time and experience, some of this goes away... but for someone new, or slightly lazy it gets in the way quite a lot.