Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: The Arena Mode test, v2!  (Read 15917 times)

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: The Arena Mode test, v2!
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2010, 03:51:43 am »

The previous Arena Mode test game applied CAN_LEARN tags to all the relevant creatures. This might be useful.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2010, 07:36:05 am »

The previous Arena Mode test game applied CAN_LEARN tags to all the relevant creatures. This might be useful.
Time to throw the tag everywhere it seems!
And there was this question about undead creatures before, if I recall correctly - yes, they're allowed, I'm gonna get 0.31.03 just to torment the raw files and the arena. Skeletons only, just for the sake of zombie dump-chars that will die in ~10 seconds *shrug*

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2010, 12:51:28 pm »

Tigermen have CAN_LEARN, so I'm fine.

Also, nightwings are incredibly powerful. I wouldn't mind them being banned.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Flar Moonchill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2010, 01:22:33 pm »

EDIT:  There are some faulty listings on the character sheet.  Orgrinder's leather fez should be 8 points, not 5.  NuNu's bronze helm is also valued the same as a copper helm.

Ahhh missed that, Umm either drop the Fez all together Or If I've got enough points drop it to Silk/cloth if that would make 5 or less instead :-)
- If you know what I mean, and I''m sure that you do.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2010, 01:53:41 pm »

Couple of questions:

Is skeletal going to cost anything?

Ogres are banned.  A few people think nightwings are way to powerful.  Are there any other creatures besides these and megabeasts that people think are way to powerful?  I'd like to know, just in case I need to submit another character instead of the nightwing.

What are people's thoughts as to a tiered system?   What I mean by this is instead of the outright banning of stronger creatures, they get a reduced number of points.  So tier 1 monsters like ogres might get 40 points, tier 2 like iron men: 80, and tier 3 like polar bears or dwarves: 120.  I think the tier system would work especially well if tournaments like this take off.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2010, 02:44:43 pm »

I was thinking of doing my own arena and decided if I ever did I would do a tier system based on sizes, due to them being so important in the combat system. In addition there would be additional 'dangerous creature' modifiers you have to pay on top, either 10,20,30 or 40 points, with say an iron man paying 40 extra, a nightwing 30 and a zombie dwarf 30. Doing tiers for all creatures could work better than this, but there are a lot of creatures in df. (I would also overdo the materials costs with weapons and armour costs separate and with everything else in more appropriate places, eg lead is way better than wood, perhaps as good as bronze)

Flagrarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2010, 04:34:43 pm »

Name: Flagro
Species: Human
Weapon: Lead flail [3] ( Would that be right? Free weapon, 3 points for lead?  :-\ )
Skills: Adept Maceman [42]
        Great Dodger [75]

If this is right, I would have no points left...but I might've made a mistake somewhere in there.
I've had my name said wrong at least 10 times so far in my whole forum life.
Oh, HORROR! This is clearly a travesty of untold proportions! The typo gods truly have brought their wrath down upon this poor man!

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2010, 06:55:23 am »

Name: Cannon Fodder
Race: Human
Equipment: Adamantium axe, copper mask (35)
Skills: Adept Axeman, Adept dodger (84)

So it should be 119 points spent
I was going to have a kobold instead but I used my better judgement
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2010, 01:26:50 pm »

Are we waiting for a certain number of combatants so we can start the tournament?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2010, 04:10:20 pm »

Are we waiting for a certain number of combatants so we can start the tournament?
Yeah, that's the point exactly. I'm drawing a hellton of designs for the new formula now and trying to save Cavebrands all at once, it'll arrive in three days or so, I dunno.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2010, 04:11:08 pm »

Yeah, that's the point exactly. I'm drawing a hellton of designs for the new formula now and trying to save Cavebrands all at once, it'll arrive in three days or so, I dunno.

Cage traps, man, cage traps.  We can pull that off, right?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2010, 04:09:04 am »

Cage traps, man, cage traps.  We can pull that off, right?
When I get to that point, there are too many people dead and I get tantrum spirals. Time to mess with the game's inner workings. Thought it'd never get down to this point.
Also, added people to the roster.

Flar Moonchill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2010, 07:15:34 am »

When I get to that point, there are too many people dead and I get tantrum spirals. Time to mess with the game's inner workings. Thought it'd never get down to this point.
Also, added people to the roster.
[/quote]

Hey hey, this still a-go-go? :-)
- If you know what I mean, and I''m sure that you do.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2010, 07:56:02 am »

Yeah, I'm waiting so we get an even amount of characters. 14, to be exact, 16 would be the perfect amount.
So...three more slots open, go on and sign yourself in.

Areku

• Bay Watcher
  • Merry Christmas to all ye landlubbers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2010, 09:22:47 am »

Very well then, I'll give it a go:

Species: Troll
Ammo None
Weapon: Adamantine Greataxe x2 - 56 points
Head Armour: Racoon leather cap -10 points
Hand Armour: none
Body Armour: none
Foot Armour: none
Leg Armour: Sasquatch leather trousers - 8 points
Shields: none
Skills: Adept axeman - 42 points

total: 116 points
Points left: 4
"And apparently your daughter likes to eat live cats"
                              - Legacy of Fíma succession game, fort two, said by Big Cheese, weaponsmith, about Duh102's daughter. (Not that you know any of these dwarves)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7