Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vampire Dwarves?!  (Read 791 times)

pra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vampire Dwarves?!
« on: April 12, 2010, 12:44:28 pm »

I was thinking about the barrels of blood, and had suddenly this idea. The longer I thought about it the more ridiculous it got, and therefore the more I liked it  ;D
I think this could turn out to be a great source of fun....

So, now we have this disease system and barrels of blood which can be bought. A dwarf can become infected with vampirism under certain circumstances. At first it is nothing bad and can be cured, but after some time the dwarf dies and comes back as a vampire. He is stronger, faster and more difficult to kill, but has also a few drawbacks, like, spontaneous combustion when outside. (Shouldn't kill him yet, so that he has a chance to run back into the fortress and spread fire). Also, instead of a bedroom he now needs a tomb to sleep in, and drinks blood from barrels instead of eating (he might still drink alcohol, though). If there is no blood, he has unhappy thoughts, and will at some point attack and suck dry at first pets, then other dwarves.
Also, his friends and relatives will get unhappy thoughts about him becoming a vampire, dependant on their preferences more or less than if he had just died.
He himself should not be too happy about his state, too. Maybe it gets better when he gets buried before he comes back, maybe dependant of the quality of the tomb. So, if you are lucky you get quite a powerful dwarf, and if not, you will have a dangerous monster running berserk in your fortress.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire Dwarves?!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 01:01:50 pm »

Urist McDracula cancels Rest:  Infected with Porphyric Hemophilia.

pra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 02:45:36 pm »

Urist McDracula has been fine lately. He came back from the dead without a proper burial recently. He had a fine drink lately. He slept in a fine tomb recently. He admired his own fine coffin recently.
When possible he prefers to consume elf blood.

Hm wait. Why only vampires?

Zombie animals should also be able to infect dwarves, which then die and become zombies themselves, possibly leading to a zombie dwarfocalypse.

Maybe werewolves, too...

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 05:07:43 pm »

Is this core or bloat?
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 08:21:35 am »

Transformations ala were-creature are a bloat. As with eggs, caterpilars/butterflies etc. Transformations are a problem which Toady one (the great all hail to him) has stated to be rather tricky and which needs some advanced research.

As for Zombies and Vampirism: Thats a thing that can work under the Poison Framework. The Game would just need to know that a creature got the [undead] flag and some changes in the behavior. Thats in the scope of the next few releases if Toady one (the great all hail to him) wants to do that. I guess on the other hand that he does undead-transition at the same time as transformation.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 08:53:27 am »

The question is what causes undeath in DF. Infection is popular method but it could just as well be a matter of the dead rising again thanks to spheres or beings being converted to undeath over time by their power. The notion of a zombie plague might be sorely out of place in this particular game.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 08:55:07 am »

Dwarfs buried in evil lands rising from the dead to plague the living?  WANT.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 08:58:23 am »

Derail - I noticed that Heph puts a little sentence after Toady's (armok be with him) name just like I've done for some considerable time. Interesting.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 09:18:28 am »

Derail - I noticed that Heph puts a little sentence after Toady's (armok be with him) name just like I've done for some considerable time. Interesting.

Heph changed his sig recently. Heph has developed a spleen recently. Hephs ego was encouraged lately by a friend.

Pilsu is actually right the plague of plagues might not be the best fitting trope for df. Classic vampirsm works on the other hand for me.

The zombie-plague has some qualities (apart from becoming undead) that are rather remarkable. For example the higher aggression and lower pain recognition which are similar to rabbies and alike.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 09:38:17 am »

Hmm... looking at the traditional zombie, the effects match up quite remarkably with PCP use.

Extreme numbness, lack of any and all dexterity, occasional violent behaviour, discolouration of the body...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.