Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smash-and-Grab Raids  (Read 722 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Smash-and-Grab Raids
« on: April 12, 2010, 12:10:21 pm »

The idea's fairly simple; groups of thieves who turn aggressive rather than flee when spotted. Sometimes they'd be after the highest-value loot they could find, be it in the wagons of a passing caravan or your own hoard, and at others they'd be targeting one specific type of goods like weapons or gems. You could even have smaller, more elite groups who only want a specific artefact.

No doubt it can be arranged for them to possess broad Cockney accents when addressed in Adventure mode.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smash-and-Grab Raids
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 01:38:39 pm »

I think this should be filed somewhere under: make goblins have coherent goals when raiding.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 03:56:20 pm »

I think this should be filed somewhere under: make goblins have coherent goals when raiding.

Killing all the dwarf they can get their hands on seems like a coherent goal.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 04:18:35 pm »

Goal as in reason.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 10:57:09 am »

Goal as in reason.
They really, really hate dwarves?
It's entertaining for them to kill dwarves?
Sort of like why recreational hunting exist, some people like killing stuffs.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 12:14:16 pm »

I'm not saying this should completely replace the current raid behaviour. You'd still get the straightforward kill-'em-all raids, but this would be a separate event, perhaps not even carried out by goblins.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

commondragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 04:11:33 pm »

This is something that would be implemented as entities are improved.  The more advanced entities get the more reasons they would have for raids.  Right now raids are only there for "We are at war with ____, so lets attack this outpost"
WheEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 04:41:54 pm »

This happened to me a few times to a lesser extent. I'd often have goblins at the front gate, and when their reinforcements spawned, it would often include a few goblin thieves or kidnappers. Between the siegers and the thieves, it felt like a raid.

So it wouldn't be hard for the game to crank out the occasional heavily armed, very brave, thief and kidnapper squad...instead of just sending one or two poorly armed slobs to get 'et by my dogs at the door.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti