Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Job importance  (Read 901 times)

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Job importance
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 10:12:00 pm »

quote:
This means that jobs in the lowest income class (right now that's hauling, which is especially bad) can potentially never get done, even if every single dwarf has that job enabled. The only way to ensure that hauling jobs are done is to set designated haulers. So you're back to hand-tweaking job profiles for each dwarf to keep the queue clear, but it's less flexible than now.  

If dwarves picked the most lucrative job, but there weren't any jobs except hauling left un-taken, then hauling would indeed be done, wouldn't it? Some money is better than no money.. and dwarves hate being idle, don't they?

I believe the idea is to be able to enable more jobs on each dwarf to start with, but make sure the important (higher paying) jobs get done first. You don't want your farmers spending all spring/summer/fall hauling rocks, but you don't want them waiting outside freezing their butts off all winter either.

Personally, I don't think this would help the way I play. I only make stockpiles when I need to make busywork, and if I need my dwarves to do something else I get rid of the stockpiles. I tend to set my dwarves to be fairly versatile so most of the time there's no need to make unnecessary jobs.

Pages: 1 [2]