Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Making it harder  (Read 2720 times)

Nagassh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making it harder
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 11:39:53 am »

I've been wondering this too
the above ground creatures seem to be far more sparse, three or four at a time
what can I do to make then come in large packs, without actually going through and turning up their pack numbers individually?

Wait for a siege.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 11:50:36 am »

I've been wondering this too
the above ground creatures seem to be far more sparse, three or four at a time
what can I do to make then come in large packs, without actually going through and turning up their pack numbers individually?

Wait for a siege.

will I still get a siege if I don't have any goblin/elf civs nearby?
4 years in and not a single ambush
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Wakmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 11:52:49 am »

You could rely entirely on your military for defence, but for now I'd personally wait until some of the bugs are worked out. I've a hospital full of soldiers because one or two guys are hogging all the weapons.
Yeah i know it i had a crossbow dwarf trying to club a undead down with a crossbow.
He was torn to pieces in one hit.

I am trying the 2 copper and a anvil now one guy is getting killed by monsters he has a page full of red body parts and he is quite content?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 12:17:28 pm by Wakmaster »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 12:34:14 pm »

You can't get a big challenge out of wandering critters.

The big fights are sieges and ambushes and such. For real fun, gen a world where the dwarves were fighting and look back through history and find a year when they were at war with a bunch of civs, then settle near them. I've seen plenty of worlds where a dwarven civ would be at war with both elves and goblins at the same time, and they will both siege you. Then when the human caravans come start killing them and siezing all their goods, if its anything like the older versions they'll get pissed and start sieging you too.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Wakmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 12:47:44 pm »

My game bugged now my last dwarf is unconsious so he doesnt need food or water...

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2010, 12:55:37 pm »

My game bugged now my last dwarf is unconsious so he doesnt need food or water...

Unconscious dwarves still need food and water.

Wakmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2010, 12:57:22 pm »

He hasent eaten for a whole season and he isent hungry or thirsty.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2010, 01:32:07 pm »

actually, i've been having the same complaint with the new version.  I embarked with 6 nobles (5 social dwarfs to fill the starting noble poistions, and one axe-dwarf to be the militia captain) and one usefull dwarf which was dabbling miner/mason/woodcutter.

so I basically had 7 mouths to feed with one working dwarf, and no real means of food production until migrants came.  I made it harder by embarking on a Terrifying biome.

what visited me in the terrifying biome?  a bunch of hoary marmots and a few mountain goats.  Some time in the second year a SINGLE zombie wolf showed up. My militia commander, two recruits, and swordwarf liason (who was visiting at the time) broke all its bones but couldnt kill it after three seasons of beating and wrestling.

For some reason, the militia commander would only use his training axe against it (though he was carrying both training axe and steel axe.)  when i made hm drop the training axe, he prefered to shield bash the enemy instead of using his stell axe.

oh well.

Wakmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2010, 01:36:47 pm »

Try setting his weapon to battleaxe and not specific
That worked for me one time

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2010, 02:24:16 pm »

Btw if a dwarf gets killed in a haunted biome isent he supposed to change into a undead?
No such condition exists, but it would be a nice init option.
This would be awesome and terrifying to see in game. I can picture it already.

Urist McMiner has been struck down.
Urist McMiner has risen as a skeleton!
Urist McWoodcutter cancels Eat: Interrupted by Skeletal Dwarf.
Urist McWoodcutter has been struck down.
Urist McWoodcutter has risen as a zombie!
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2010, 04:09:54 am »

I wasn't around when it was only 2D but apprently that was true. Dead Critters (dwarves as well) would rise from the grave after dieing, not auto I think, but none the less...

ALSO someone had found some lines in the raw that had to do with Thoughts. Something along the lines of...

McUrist, McThing has been Depressed lately, attacked by undead Family member.
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2010, 06:00:00 am »

Oh my.  You'd have to dump their bodies into a magma shaft instead of just burying them in a regular graveyard. 

Sounds awesome. 

As per the original question, I think the release of 2010 made it harder.  I can barely get my military to do anything, marksdwarves are flat out broken, and goblins are now coming with things like giant toads and other assorted distractions.  Tthat's really all they're good for too, distracting my dwarves while the goblin chops at them.  But it's different.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

plenum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2010, 06:22:12 am »

Protect diversities: biological, ecological, cultural.
This yields colorful future to our (grand)children.

Wakmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2010, 07:11:32 am »

As per the original question, I think the release of 2010 made it harder.  I can barely get my military to do anything, marksdwarves are flat out broken, and goblins are now coming with things like giant toads and other assorted distractions.  Tthat's really all they're good for too, distracting my dwarves while the goblin chops at them.  But it's different.
If u mean ur millitary runs all over the place try making a burrow for the squad behind some fortifications so they cant get out to melee or be stupid.
Put a bed some food and the weapons in there to i have not tested this but i think it works.
I have seen that burrow orders work no matter what they will always go there  even if a enemy is meleeing them or they are doing a job.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2010, 08:27:56 am »

Oh my.  You'd have to dump their bodies into a magma shaft instead of just burying them in a regular graveyard. 

Sounds awesome. 

Or wall up their tomb. Or use them as traps.

"Urist! The Goblins have brought trolls! They've broken through the doors, and half the guard are still hospitalised!"

"Are they passing the catacombs?"

"Yes, but..."

"Unseal the Hushed Casket."

Of course, dropping invaders into a zombie pit, well, that's just a self-stocking trap, that is. The more you drop the more that rise.

Or leave the slaughtered gobbo siege out to rise and harass the next wave.
Pages: 1 [2] 3