Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm not dead yet! (Mod for new version under construction)  (Read 1124 times)

Camkitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
I'm not dead yet! (Mod for new version under construction)
« on: April 12, 2010, 08:09:55 am »

Howdy, all.  Though I'm guessing most folks don't remember me, I thought I'd pop in and announce that I'm working on a new mod-set for the latest version of DF. 
I've been away for a while now due to a mixture of apathy, school, and computer failure, but now I'm back in buisness.
I'm going to be mostly starting from the ground up, as nearly all of the files from my previous mod are on my presently-unusable PC.  That being the case, I'm open to suggestions as to what sort of things folks would like to see in the 'cultural expansion' mod I'll be making.  The only set-in-stone additions are the Kitsune (Japan) and the Tai Lung  (China), with mods to the Elves to make them rough equivalents of an Aztec/Inca style civilization, the Dwarves a mix of Germanic and Celtic, the Humans an equivalent of the Vikings, and Mongol-styled Orcs.  Presently stuck for what to do with the Goblins, they may end up turning into the Goths/Vandals.
Other additions will include new plants and animals, loads of new decor, and race-specific weaponry/armor/clothing (The kitsune have the Katana and Naginata, the Tai Lung have the repeating crossbow and Guan Dao, Humans have hatchets and greatbows, etc.).
Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I'm not dead yet! (Mod for new version under construction)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 08:20:40 am »

So... you are making a mod adding new civilization races?
Are the Kitsune some kind of Fox-Mans, or just ordinary Nipponjins?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 09:18:57 am »

As I said a lot of times, you can borrow stuff from my mod if you feel like it. Good luck with that! Let's hope this thread gets updated with a "download link" soon :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Camkitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 07:59:42 am »

Kitsune are Fox-men with some limited supernatural abilites (when I get the thing together I'll have a post describing what).

The mod will contain new everything.  Or at least new 'everything that I can manipulate the raw files to edit'.  This includes new engravings, words for the languages, and all that other good stuff. There will also be some minor balance alterations (farming will be a lot slower, for instance) and such.  The ultimate goal is to give a flavor distinctly different from vanilla.

I might borrow some ideas (and some languages, if you have custom ones made), but otherwise I want to work as close to 'from scratch' as possible.
I'm not going to do custom languages unless I can find a good gen program.  I tried hand-writing an authentic language using notepad and an online Japanese dictionary, but that took a hellishly long time and the resulting file is presently on my not-working hard drive).

Symbiode

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms = bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 01:13:42 pm »

I'm not sure if this works with 2010, but it may be worth looking at for language generation:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=4qrd4uvnupdnj6vi5jpligjdr1&topic=47332.0

DFFD Link:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1738