Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Rename the new noble positions  (Read 3437 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rename the new noble positions
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 12:09:15 am »

Has nobody considered a simple "Head Doctor"? Though I change the profession name of mine to Surgeon General. *Shrug*

"Practicioner" makes it sound like we're trying to go for political correctness or something. "'He's not a doctor, he's a medical practicioner!' *Snub*"
Technically, Doctor can refer to someone not in the medical field.  It has been modified in modern times to refer mainly to medical doctors, but doctor does not assume medical training.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 12:16:13 am »

Technically, Doctor can refer to someone not in the medical field.  It has been modified in modern times to refer mainly to medical doctors, but doctor does not assume medical training.

The game already uses "Doctor" as the catchall profession for the medical skills, so that's a moot point for purposes of this discussion.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 12:22:52 am »

The game already uses "Doctor" as the catchall profession for the medical skills, so that's a moot point for purposes of this discussion.
Maybe that needs to change as well. ;)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

xaque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 01:38:47 am »

What about "Chiurgeon" as an appropriately antiquated sounding version of surgeon? "Head Chiurgeon" sounds like it fits with the DF way of naming things to me.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 01:50:59 am »

What about "Chiurgeon" as an appropriately antiquated sounding version of surgeon? "Head Chiurgeon" sounds like it fits with the DF way of naming things to me.

There is a certain point where I favour recognition over accuracy.

I know Chiurgeon is more historically accurate but no one is going to know what that is unless they look it up or ask someone.

It is also the reason why I wouldn't accept Barber either.

xaque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 02:17:51 am »

There is a certain point where I favour recognition over accuracy.

I know Chiurgeon is more historically accurate but no one is going to know what that is unless they look it up or ask someone.

It is also the reason why I wouldn't accept Barber either.

DF already has a precedence for not caring about whether people know what it means-- "eye teeth" come to mind, not to mention all the stone types. (If you were a new player trying to figure out DF, and saw an "Orthoclase Wall", what are the chances you'd figure out it was made of stone?)

Besides, Chiurgeon sounds cool, and is commonly used in other fantasy settings. I first found out about it from Magic: The Gathering.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2010, 02:38:59 am »

The "chirurgeon" thing was covered in FotF:

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: Joutilas
Using terms like "doctor" or "surgeon" bothers me somewhat. I'd use a more archaic term that doesn't have so strong link to modern medicine. Chirurgeon? Barber surgeon?

Or then have "progression" for the titles: healer -> bone-mender -> doctor -> chirurgeon

etymonline.com (which I don't know well, so won't vouch for) says "chirurgeon" is a "failed Renaissance attempt to restore Gk. spelling to the word that had got into Eng. as surgeon; now, thank the gods, archaic", while a few dictionaries say "chirurgeon" was alongside "surgeon" in middle english.  I try not to use words with modern origins (let's ignore items for now...), but "surgeon" isn't modern.  If a word is still in use, it doesn't bother me.  "Doctor" is also an old word, which supposedly gained its medical meaning ~1377 (though this wasn't common until the 1500s) (etymonline again).

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 10:11:00 am »

Practitioner seems to be out of the time period as well. Regardless, the term needs to fit any doctor. A surgeon is as likely a candidate for the position as a diagnostician is.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 10:12:44 am by Pilsu »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 11:07:38 am »

Why is "Healer" not appropriate?

Or better yet, wound fixy person.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 11:25:15 am »

Practitioner seems to be out of the time period as well. Regardless, the term needs to fit any doctor. A surgeon is as likely a candidate for the position as a diagnostician is.

Better linky: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barber_surgeon

Surgeon is definitelly most fitting.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 11:26:11 am »

Why is "Healer" not appropriate?

Or better yet, wound fixy person.
I have no problem with "Chief Medic" or "Chief Healer", but "fixy person" is just as corny as "Chief Medical Dwarf"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2010, 11:34:22 am »

It is always odd that in fantasy settings humans rarely if ever refer to themselves as humans... but other fantasy creatures... yeah.

Especially odd was one game where the human characters had classes like Warrior, Archer, Thief, and Wizard... but the Dwarf and Elf are actually called "Dwarf" and "Elf"
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 11:38:41 am by Neonivek »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2010, 11:38:18 am »

It is always odd that in fantasy settings humans rarely if ever refer to themselves as humans... but other fantasy creatures... yeah.
It's one of those psychological things about relating to the reader or something along those lines.  I've noticed it in Sci-Fi shows like Star Trek as well... They sometimes got it right with the Klingons and Orions calling us Human all the time, but I think it was meant as a detachment technique to make the viewer see these races as outsiders or rough (inhuman.)

rossbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2010, 11:44:40 am »

Especially odd was one game where the human characters had classes like Warrior, Archer, Thief, and Wizard... but the Dwarf and Elf are actually called "Dwarf" and "Elf"
They refer to themselves as Men all the time, though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2010, 11:46:07 am »

Yeah but "Men" can apply to just about anyone.

Dwarven Axemen for example
Pages: 1 [2] 3