Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The need for an arsenal dwarf  (Read 557 times)

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The need for an arsenal dwarf
« on: April 12, 2010, 01:14:24 am »

Okay, so I ran into a little issue with the new military system.  Namely, somehow a troll got loose in my base.  This caught me by surprise since the first notice I got that it was there was when a stray puppy got splatter by a collision with an object, and this was well past the two war dogs I had chained at the entrance which should have given advanced warning. 

I had not yet gotten a good military up an running, so I needed to enact some emergency measures.  One of my rangers was a talented marksdwarf, with some good fighting and dodging skills as well, and she had her own crossbow ready to go.  I drafted her, set her to a single-dwarf archery squad, and gave her a kill order on the troll hoping she could put a bolt into one of its organs and down it before it could do more damage.  So what does she do? 

She goes to put her crossbow away in a stockpile before charging the troll in hand-to-hand combat.

This is ridiculous.  I understand that we need an arsenal dwarf to issue weapons and such, but this is an emergency!  Does a soldier who already has the proper weapon in-hand at the time they are drafted need to put it away so it can be officially assigned?  I know that no arsenal dwarf is needed if the population is below a certain threshold, but I am not sure that is the best policy for implimenting them.  I am thinking that maybe instead of being based on population size, the arsenal dwarf should be based on military size.  Say, once there are more than five dwarves total in the military, fortress guard, or royal guard, then the position of arsenal dwarf becomes necessary.  Below that, the soldiers can work out for themselves who gets what. 

LegitMacgyver

• Bay Watcher
  • Macgyver cancels make bomb, can't find paper clip
    • View Profile
Re: The need for an arsenal dwarf
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 04:06:10 am »

See this is the kind of thing I have been complaining about with this new military system.

I would like to see something like the two real life styles of military.

1. Primitive Standing Army
Similar to previous version of DF

Make some dwarves life long military members that get equipment and train on their own.
Basic system, no unforms, less organized, and training skirmishes have a high health risk due to lack of leadership.

2. Drafted Army

Current Version System could be turned on once you feel your Fortress can support a more complex and organized system.  Schedule would allow military dwarves to also be civilians when needed.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 05:53:28 am »

Arsenal dwarves could be necessary for setting up uniforms and equipping squads with specific items. Without them, you wouldn't have more control than we did in the last version. Arsenal dwarves would also be necessary for such uniforms to be commissioned to be made. I could see militia men wasting all types of bolts on training unless he sets guidelines.

"Arsenal dwarf" is a pretty dumb name. You might miss it but think how odd Arsenal Human would sound like. It sounds like a giant mecha or something.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 01:35:28 pm by Pilsu »

LegitMacgyver

• Bay Watcher
  • Macgyver cancels make bomb, can't find paper clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 06:06:42 am »

That is a great idea actually. 

The military stays very milita/rabel like but...

after you appoint an arsenal dwarf you get a lot of choices such as those offered in the new version.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 10:44:34 am »

"Arsenal dwarf" is a pretty dumb name. You might miss it but think how odd Arsenal Human would sound like. It sounds like a giant mecha or something.
Indeed, while a quasi perfect alternative exists: Quartermaster.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.