Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dark stone weapons  (Read 1598 times)

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dark stone weapons
« on: November 20, 2006, 03:48:00 am »

It seems to me that obsidian would be much more suited to making arrow-, quarrel- and spearheads than short sword blades.

However something like this might have to wait until item stacking is better implemented, as if all you made was the head you'd need to use wood (or something else) to create the shaft, and one piece of obsidian + one log of wood is a pretty steep price for a single spear.

lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Dark stone weapons
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 04:06:00 am »

What needs to be done - and has been suggested - is for resources to be cut or split into smaller peices but again, without stack recombining... It'd be hell for the game to cope.

This would make the arrow head /spear point thing useful. Though, in the mean time, it should be conceivable that a chunk of obsidian could be used to create 20 or so obsidian bolts.

Just an FYI, imagine a stick split nearly in two, with razors glued 2/3s the length of the split; or even, just simply obsidian strips stuck into a solid peice of wood -- that's how an obsidian sword is made. As well, dwarves cannot use bows, because their physical stature simply prohibits it; hence their absolute reliance on crossbows.

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Scribble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 05:41:00 am »

I rather feel that obsidian swords are a little too good at present and might be better being downgraded to 'iron' strength instead.

However, obsidian could certainly be used to manufacture other weapons, particuarly, bolts, spears and maces.

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 05:50:00 am »

I'm aware of the bow part -- but a human and elf fortress mode is planned, is it not? They'll be able to use bows.

On your description of an obsidian sword... the thing I'm envisioning from your description is more like the weapon used by ... oh, was it the Mayans? Aztecs? Inca? I can't remember. (By the way, I just spent about an hour trying to find the name and background of this weapon, and failed.) It was basically, as you said, a stick with obsidian (or other sharp stones) attached to the sides. But it worked more as a spiked club than a sword, and aside from that fact, the short sword is typically more of a thrusting than a slashing weapon (though it works as both), and the weapon I'm envisioning doesn't work too well for thrusting.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 06:00:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Scribble:
[QB]I rather feel that obsidian swords are a little too good at present and might be better being downgraded to 'iron' strength instead ... and maces.

1. Obsidian weapons are too good right now because they dont break. The greatest asset of Obsidian is that it's capable of sharpening itself with each cut. However, this is also it's greatest weakness; it will eventually sharpen itself down to nothing.

2. It's volcanic glass. Any excessive compression (or was it tension, when dealing with glass?) will cause it to shatter into useless (and dangerous) pieces. Thus, maces of obsidian would be as useful and as long-lived as a glass vase /lamp in a melee. Maybe not immediately, but eventually it would destroy itself; without a chance to reuse the peices.

[ November 20, 2006: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 06:08:00 am »

I think the idea was not for a mace built soley of obsidian, rather to be a piece of wood or metal with spikes, studs or flanges of obsidian. Sharp studs would probably be the most practical, as it's much harder to shatter a small piece of glass than a large one.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 06:12:00 am »

Ah, that does make more sense. A single spike of obsidian driven into anywhere can be quite nasty, especially if it's triangular with grooves (ie: sharp)

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 07:38:00 am »

a number of versions back it was actually possible to create obsidian weapons (and glass arrows at the like.) through the managers shop.

I had a number of axe dwarves with obsidian axes.

though amusingly, one sword master killed another during sparring in that fortress by puncturing his lung.

i'd be all for glass arrows and obsidian weapons being craftable again, even if that wasn't intended.

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 06:44:00 pm »

Hey Rondol, is the weapon you're thinking of a macuahuitl?

Click here and scroll down for a picture:
http://www.famsi.org/research/pohl/pohl_aztec5.html

g+@@T@+

The intruder arose, casting off its black cloak.  "Behold, stunted jesters!  It is I, Scuro!"  A jagged scar marked the goblin's face from eye to chin, his greasy mane gray and wild, and about his neck was the broken silver amulet, strapped together by a leather band.

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 06:52:00 pm »

Sounds like a perfect addition to dwarf fortress, what with the "maiming and disabling"

Abyssal Squid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 07:18:00 pm »

I'd like to see more non-metallic weapons all around.  Clubs and spears are easy to make and use, and flint is fairly easy to work into razor-sharp edges.  I'd see flint, being such an abundant resource, as no stronger than copper or bronze, and wearing down as quickly as obsidian.  It would be cool to see low-tech civilizations running around with stone spears instead of metal, or to play as an exile who has to live off the land for a time.

It would also be nice to be able to make weapons without using an anvil, so you can arm a militia before you get your anvil.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 09:40:00 am »

gah.. had me some masterpiece ob swords..

spar.

1 dwarf ended up with injuries to brain, eye, ear, etc, etc (something like that.. lots of injuries).... and somehow died from suffocation!

wonder what they did, sounds more like someone wacked his head in with a hammer than a sword!

stone mace/hammer like stuff would make sense.. and should probably be easy to make..  only need something to tie the rocks to the sticks!

Scribble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 10:48:00 am »

I think the idea was not for a mace built soley of obsidian, rather to be a piece of wood or metal with spikes, studs or flanges of obsidian. Sharp studs would probably be the most practical, as it's much harder to shatter a small piece of glass than a large one.
quote:

Ah yes that was precisely what I was thinking of. Enabling craftsdwarves to create equivilents to the DS shirt sword by using a peice of obsidian and wood.

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 01:29:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Ookpik:
<STRONG>Hey Rondol, is the weapon you're thinking of a macuahuitl?

Click here and scroll down for a picture:
http://www.famsi.org/research/pohl/pohl_aztec5.html</STRONG>

Quite possibly...

fmunoz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wesnoth.org
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006, 07:01:00 pm »

That weapon is also know as macana
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macana
More info in the entry with indian name
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macuahuitl
A really dangerous weapon.. described as able to behead a horse in a single blow.
Pages: [1] 2