Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: do "remains" decompose  (Read 1181 times)

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: do "remains" decompose
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 12:17:16 am »

They are suppoused to, but there is a bug that makes them not decompose. They will give off miasma, but won't decay and dissapear.

I wanted to correct this.  Vermin like rats and apparently turtles and fish don't decompose at all.  Fish will become rotten, and other vermin might too, but I haven't seen them drop below that and I haven't ever seen miasma come from the bodies even when they're left underground for months.

Non-vermin do decay.  I had a troll or something get into my fortress and after I killed it I let it sit there, eventually the body started creating miasma and I dumped it outside where it eventually became a troll skeleton.  Other things that I've killed underground have had a similar effect.

I suggest using the atomsmash to get rid of the bodies until you have a lava pool to dump them into.  Not sure if there's anything you can do about the blood though.  I'm not entirely sure they're cleaned up when the seasons change any more.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 12:19:54 am »

Soap can clean creatures now, maybe floors too? Else, flush it with water!
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 02:32:54 pm »

I think if you designate a water source, dwarves will clean up blood over time. Either that or the game automatically does it.

I had a civilian axelord go berserk on me because he failed a mood, wearing full mithril gear, and turn my fortress into a nice shade of Armok Red. Within a year, the entire thing was cleaned up, with a few patches of blood here and there.

Not sure what happened, but there looks to be mechanisms in place to clean things up in some form.

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 02:46:50 pm »

Soap can clean creatures now, maybe floors too? Else, flush it with water!

I don't know; I had a corpse hit the river a year or two before I bothered to tap it for a well, but as soon as the water came in it was preceded by a wave of blood pools from multiple creatures. It just might not be the perfect way to wash up, is all I'm saying.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 02:53:23 pm »

Hi!

Some information/correction:

Footkerchief explained that remains are based on the main material in the live vermin. So, insects, for instance, end up as chitin remains and chitin does not rot (and thus not cause miasma). Squirrels and rats, however, turn into rottable material (probably meat/fat) and will rot with miasma and everything.

Freezing water also destroys everything inside it. (Just a hint for those with surface pools who don't want to go smashing).

Dwarves with the cleaning job enabled will occasionally and spontaneously clean underground tiles. They do not require anything to do so, neither a barrel as in the 2D version, nor soap. When they clean a tile, all the blood on that tile and the adjacent 8 tiles will disappear.

The other way to get rid of blood is rain - wherever a rain drop hits, it will destroy all blood in that particular tile. That is the only hope you have against above ground blood. So, if you have above ground structures with a roof, there is NO WAY to get the blood cleaned away from in there except by removing the roof and waiting for rain.

Deathworks
Pages: 1 [2]