Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Are Goblins harder now?  (Read 3095 times)

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are Goblins harder now?
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2010, 01:35:27 pm »

I found that the hardest part of training was realizing that you have to set your barracks to train the squad you want training there.  My current fort is in a Goblin and Elf free world, so I cannot directly comment on the difficulty of goblins.  Eventually I intend to get the humans to attack me, but that can wait until I have more than 9 axedwarfs.  After all, the 9 axedwarfs are all that is keeping the elk-birds from storming into my fort and killing people.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2010, 01:37:30 pm »

Kobolds with their TRAPAVOID are bigger disaster here. They come in squads and armed now, ambushing me all the time since early detection system was using traps.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2010, 01:42:04 pm »

Kobolds with their TRAPAVOID are bigger disaster here. They come in squads and armed now, ambushing me all the time since early detection system was using traps.

Kitten farms and ropes would still work for early detection though?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2010, 01:44:32 pm »

Kitten farms and ropes would still work for early detection though?
Yeah, thats what i'm doing now - buying all cages elves bring and putting tamed bears/cougars/raccoons around fort. But replacing them after each siege/ambush is annoying.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2010, 01:52:42 pm »

Honestly the old system was quite boring. There's no excitement when my two partially armored champion axedwarfs can hack 40 gobbos to pieces in a matter of seconds without sustaining any wounds. However, I think things may have gone too far to the other side of the scale. Now even my completely armored axedwarfs can be easily knocked out or killed by enemies who would have been a pushover before. And once your military is in bed recovering, your whole fortress is one enemy away from total collapse.

Unarmed recruits don't stand a chance against any competent baddie. Although I had plenty of "fun" recruiting 50 unarmed guys and watching them attempt to punch a Stegasaurid to death while the militia was in bed. Needless to say, casualties were high.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Brybry

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2010, 02:10:34 pm »

If there are silver weapons, can you make silver armor/weapons?  I seem to have an abundance of precious metals (gold/nickel/silver) with a little bit of copper and no iron/etc to be found. 
Look for more of that copper and in the process i'm betting you might have some tin (look for granite I think, you sound like you have mostly igneous intrusive layers to me). Then make bronze and you're way better of than you would be with copper or silver anything.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2010, 02:16:28 pm »

If there are silver weapons, can you make silver armor/weapons?  I seem to have an abundance of precious metals (gold/nickel/silver) with a little bit of copper and no iron/etc to be found. 
Look for more of that copper and in the process i'm betting you might have some tin (look for granite I think, you sound like you have mostly igneous intrusive layers to me). Then make bronze and you're way better of than you would be with copper or silver anything.
Mainly getting copper from Tetrahedrite (sp?) so I've not found any copper veins.  I've been doing some exploration digging, but fearing digging too far/deep has kept me close to the surface for the most part.  I may just start buying stuff, but I'm afraid doing that will only invite more fun stuff before I'm ready.  (Since I'm pretty sure I read that trade and exports are figured into siege potential.)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2010, 08:52:08 pm »

Just had another ambush, this time three goblin squads, with human as leaders. One of them was a priest. I killed most of them and my dwarves just got minor wounds.

What's bugging me is that I'm getting ambushes EVERY SEASON now, at least for the last three seasons, ant in this short amount of time it's adding a new squad every season.

On the third season of ambushes, the gobbos also tacked on a bronze-clad priest and an iron-clad pikemaster (if I remember right), who both had high quality gear.  The pikemaster ran off ahead of the group and triggered all the traps for the goblins, something like sixty rows of stonefall traps three wide (yes, he triggered just about ALL of them himself), and didn't take a scratch.  That's about when I abandoned.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Nagassh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2010, 09:20:39 pm »

I had a siege of well over 60 goblins attack. 1 axe lord who wanted to fill his flask in full iron armour kept a great deal of bowmen and crossbowmen (well, gobs) and a master swords goblin stuck in combat unable to kill him until they had ran out of ammo and the rest of the siege caught up. He only died after suffering full red wounds, having both eyes shot out, both ears shot off, his lower legs cut off and most of his fingers removed. He'd also just punched a forgotten beast spider hard enough to kill it while pathfinding to an axe.

That dwarf had better have a heroes tomb.

I had set up an artifact glass tomb in the dining room with glass windows walling it off, I intended to give it to my old sheriff who, after macing a forgotten beast to death, was shot by a stray arrow through the lung and died. He was the husband of the unluckiest dwarf I've ever had - due to crashes she was traumatized in 3 different saves.

1) First time she had her baby maced in her arms, before being whipped without dieing by a goblin for what seemed like forever.
2) Next save she avoided that fate, but had her head cut open by a goblin babysnatcher.
3) In the final (and current) save, she was attacked by the same goblin as before, but this time had her baby stolen despite her and the military trying their best. She was permanently bedridden too, losing her ability to stand.

In the end I gave up on the save, one goblin siege left and another turned up before it had left the map. I still have the save though, tempted to kit out the one military dwarf I still have and see if she can take down a siege alone. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]