Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how to restrict population to a burrow/get military to train?  (Read 871 times)

gaewgw

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hello, i hope this is the correct place to put such a thread, but there were two huge problems i had with the newer version of dwarf fortress

1. i couldn't figure out how to get my population to stay inside, but i have heard its possible to restrict them to a burrow instead (not sure how, but my fortress is under attack to the point where i cant play until i figure this out)

2. i cant seem to figure out how to make my guys (specifically crossbow men) train/spar, i set them up to do it and they just don't seem to want to train

thanks for any help! (i love the new version as a whole immensely)

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: how to restrict population to a burrow/get military to train?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 07:12:07 pm »

1. i couldn't figure out how to get my population to stay inside, but i have heard its possible to restrict them to a burrow instead (not sure how, but my fortress is under attack to the point where i cant play until i figure this out)

1. Make a burrow where you want you civilians to gather.
2. Go to the (m)ilitary screen.
3. Go to (a)lerts.
4. Create a new alert, name it something like "Emergency!".
5. Highlight the new alert, and select the burrow from the list of burrows on the right.
6. When you want the civs to go to the burrow, press enter while the alert is highlighted, which will put a little [CIV] at the end, indicating that that's the current civilian alert.
7. When you want to cancel the alert, set the civilian alert level to "Inactive".
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

gaewgw

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 07:21:50 pm »

3. Go to (a)lerts.
5. Highlight the new alert, and select the burrow from the list of burrows on the right.
6. When you want the civs to go to the burrow, press enter while the alert is highlighted, which will put a little [CIV] at the end, indicating that that's the current civilian alert.
7. When you want to cancel the alert, set the civilian alert level to "Inactive".

beautiful, thankyou

can anyone explain the military training thing to me?

gaewgw

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 07:50:17 pm »

Check the wiki:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Military

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Military_guide

oh, thankyou

they have updated it alot since i last looked, and it seems my problems are due to bugs

i hope these get fixed eventually but thankyou everyone!

Devast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 08:31:29 pm »

3. Go to (a)lerts.

Thank you