Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Are there any tutorials for how bodies work, how to make new creatures/parts?  (Read 1633 times)

Grub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ah, alright.

GarBolg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Greetings, first time poster here, longtime fan of DF who does a few tinkering here and there.

Usually when I have a problem I manage to pull through and find the source of the my annoyance, but right now even the error log won't help me.

Right now when I try to load up my creature it gives me this(the error occurs at the line
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE] in the creature raw):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Repeat for every single body part, so my little things are made of nothing and thus die in one hit.

I know this is about the tissues but I only copy-pasted the basic tissue and material templates to make my own while changing a few values.

Can anyone help by pointing me in the right direction or is more info required?

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile

It would be very helpful if you posted the complete error log for the creature, along with every file related to it that you've edited or created. However, I can take an educated guess. It seems that there are body parts you've defined (such as the torso, rear body, and front body) that given tissues in the b_detail_plan_default file. In order to fix this, you should go into that file, find BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS, and add something like this:
Code: [Select]
     [BP_LAYERS:BY_CATEGORY:BODY_REAR:ARG3:50:ARG2:5:ARG1:1]
     [BP_LAYERS:BY_CATEGORY:TORSO:ARG3:50:ARG2:5:ARG1:1]
     . . .
And so on for each of the new body parts. In order for that to make any sense to the game, you should also add CATEGORY:TORSO to your torso body part, CATEGORY:BODY_REAR to you rear body body part, etc.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

I'm a little uncertain of how much I can rely on my clown mod thread for answers concerning this problem, so I'm asking for help in this as well.

Basically, I have mimes.  Mimes are like humans, only they can't talk and they have invisible weapons as body parts which they cycle through randomly when fighting.  There are two problems:  One, they won't use these special attacks.  Two, if they lose one of the weapon body parts, it seems to be considered a mortal wound.

And a third but not very pressing or important problem exists as well; How can I set the weapons to be made of a particular material - like, say, steel?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

GarBolg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Well, this isn't the problem since I added categories for each part in the body file that was valid for the BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS default tags.

Here's a download to all the files I made: http://rapidshare.com/files/375156535/Leiaoutans.rar.html

What I used:
-body_anya, the body tags. Is a centaurish creature with two sets of organ located in the quadrupedal part of the body.
-creature_anya, I think I put there everything I needed to except the things to give them different hair and such, but it's also possible to make it work without error by using the standard_materials and standard_tissues body plans.
-entity_anya, most likely unrelated to the situation
-tissue_anya, cut&pasted from the standard tissues, except with changed values, most notably faster healing times, less blood and pain upon being hit and some things that couldn't heal now do.
-materials_anya, cut&pasted from the standard materials, made everything resist heat and cold better, have a higher worth and with better yield and fracture values.
-anya_detail_plan, the detail plan, used the default as a base and added a thing or two like the horn.

I am utterly clueless as to WHERE the cause is and sincerely hope it's not because I did something like put two ":" next to each other in a tag instead of one.

I also hope that I'm not being rude...

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile

more or less on-topic :
Since there aren't anymore [size] and [damblock],
How to make a creature smaller/taller ?
How to make it more resistant (or less) ?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

BODY_SIZE is the creature size, check creature_standard.txt for explanation from Toady.

Resistance is determined by the materials the creature is made from.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

Um.
Help?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

GarBolg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

LegoLord: try replacing the BY_TYPE tags in your attacks with BY_TOKEN.
[ATTACK:PUNCH:BODYPART:BY_TOKEN:MACE] instead of [ATTACK:PUNCH:BODYPART:BY_TYPE:MACE]

A type is something like STANCE or GRASP and thus you can use said attack with any body part that has that type, a token is the nickname you gave to the body part which in this case is MACE.

That should make them use said attacks...as for them being instant killed on hit...no idea, but giving them a relsize of 0 (or 1 if 0 doesn't work) could possibly be used as a workaround.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 07:58:54 pm by GarBolg »

GarBolg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I found out the solution for my problem.
Turns out it's not written anywhere (to my knowledge) that the game dislike reading in more files than usual: copypasting my code to the b_detail_plan_default, tissue_template_default and material_template_default solved everything.

Now if you'll excuse me I'll go cry in a corner since I worked on this since a few days.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

Doh!  Thanks Garbolg.  That might have actually been how it worked in the old version . . . ah well.  I might also add on the [SMALL] tag (I think it still exists) so they don't show up on the body parts list and get hit less often.  Changing the relative size will come after.
Just so I remember

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been reading over the tutorial Toady put into creature_standard. Dear god its going to be awhile before I try modding this version.
Pages: 1 [2]