Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Are there any tutorials for how bodies work, how to make new creatures/parts?  (Read 1632 times)

Grub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This would be an ULTRA useful tutorial. There's plain old data on the wiki but nothing I would call a full guide. Sort of like "My first Fortress", there would be "My First Creature" or "My First Body Part"

That would be incredibly great.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile

Keep in mind that we've had all of ten days with the new version.
Expecting someone to have a full guide of ANYTHING that has changed is a bit extreme.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Grub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It wouldn't even have to be a full guide. Just something to get started on. The idea of things like "body tokens" and how body data works is a little confusing to a newcomer to modding like me. Less of a encyclopedia entry (in terms of wording) and more of a guy sitting down with some other guys and going, "Alright, here's basically how it works.." and talking about it in layman's terms. Even if this doesn't exist now, this would be a good direction to go into, I think.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 06:19:02 pm by Grub »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

What I want to know is what STP does in relation to body parts.  For the most part, body parts don't seem very different from the old version, except for the STP and the relative size tags.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

I think everything can be figure out from the existing examples.

Basically there's [BOODY:PART1:PART2:PART3] etc. on creature and those PART1, PART2, PART3 etc. are defined in a separate file and have their properties (and now relative sizes, from the 0.31.01). Then you should remember that if a part connects to something, their "substrate" should be mentioned in the BODY:*** earlier. I.e. if PART1 connects to PART2, it should be BODY:PART2:PART1:***

If you have specific questions, just ask.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Grub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Really what I'm talking about is the structure of how these things are set up. It's like a map I'm not entirely sure how to read. When working with new creatures or parts, what's the very first txt file you should look at? And then do I read from the top down?

I suppose that's a good first start as any.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

One thing that I think would be awesome is if toady actually made a tutorial of it. After all, he knows the system inside and out so it shouldn't take him more then maybe an hour to whip one up.

Not saying it's gonna happen but it would be nice. There are "defult" templates in the raws which explain things a bit more.

Btw where are venoms stored in the raws?

Grub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One thing that I think would be awesome is if toady actually made a tutorial of it. After all, he knows the system inside and out so it shouldn't take him more then maybe an hour to whip one up.

Heh, I'd almost pay him to make a tutorial.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Actually any modder can do it, it only takes time and it's very simple.

Really what I'm talking about is the structure of how these things are set up. It's like a map I'm not entirely sure how to read. When working with new creatures or parts, what's the very first txt file you should look at? And then do I read from the top down?

You basically work with a creature in your creature_***.txt file where you make their [BODY:***:***:***:***] string and place there the parts you need from the body_default.txt. Once you need to place a part which is not in the vanilla, you make your own body_***.txt file where you create the parts you need (mostly copying other part's behaviour from the existing raws). Note that you can use BODYGLOSS thing, it is used when you want some bodypart which already exists but you want the same function with a different name. Various BODYGLOSS-es are defined in body_***.txt files too.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile

I've made a tutorial for just such a purpose. It's a little rough, so any formatting or style help you can give is appreciated.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Grub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've made a tutorial for just such a purpose. It's a little rough, so any formatting or style help you can give is appreciated.

Whoa, awesome! You rock, Tfaal. I'll get to reading it right away

Gorobay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What I want to know is what STP does in relation to body parts.
STP means standard plural. It adds an "s" to the singular.

Grub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

that's a good start, tfaal :)
I'm working on an easy-to-read part reference guide right now. Who knows if it will ever be done because, well, Dwarf Fortress is just a game I think is interesting. But if it ever gets done you guys will know about it.

Grub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

An interesting statistic: Internal Dwarf Fortress temperature = Celsius*101.8

Internal Game Boiling Point of Water = 10180 degrees
Celsius Boiling Point = 100 degrees

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile

That doesn't quite work, because there's some addition going on as well. In dwarf fortress, absolute zero is a positive number, while in the centigrade scale, it's -275.15 degrees.
Edit: The wiki gives the conversion formula as
Code: [Select]
[DF scale] = [CELSIUS] * 9/5 + 10000
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 10:23:45 pm by tfaal »
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.
Pages: [1] 2