Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a program that can visualize the world after generation?  (Read 1014 times)

Grub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dump the info of the world gen and then use that info for a program to give you a detailed, interactive 2D LOTR-style map, or create a large 3d model of the world (at different scales like macro, normal, or micro) to look at.

This would be really cool.

Maxxeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a program that can visualize the world after generation?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 05:37:55 pm »

I would love this. even if it generated a really high res heightmap of the overworld for use in a 3D program (being a 3D artist ;) ) with the colours of every area in another file :D

I dont care if I'd have to leave it overnight to render the file, I'd be happy to have it!

Grub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 05:40:09 pm »

yup. hell, if you could dump a micro-detail version into a separate 3d modeling program, you could then take it and slap it into a game like crysis or something so you could run around your world in first person.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 06:12:59 pm »

You can already generate a heightmap.
Go to legends mode and press P (I think).
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Grub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 06:14:25 pm »

It would be a hybrid, though. Not just a heightmap, but details like where tree areas are, where water is, where ice is, where towns are, what biome area names are, etc, so that a program could in theory look at it and give you a detailed overview of the whole shebang.

Maxxeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 06:30:51 pm »

you can extract a purely elevation based map from legends, but it isn't a high enough detail for a 3D program. It's only a basic overveiw of the world. I'm talking a 1:1 scale map. It would be huge, but also hugely rewarding!

each square would need to be set a greyscale colour, and then exported.

for example, the map I'm playing now has a huge canyon with a waterfall running down it. in the elevation map, it just shows as a grey line for the river.

Then afterwards, you could export a colour map, based on the colour of every material in the map. you could then blur this in photoshop to give a more realistic look to the texture. The heightmap could also be gently smoothed either in photoshop ofr the 3D program.
trees could be exported as point data on the map, just dots for each tree, different colours for each type. this could then be used with a particle system or speedtree to place each one!

it would be very possible to use in games like crysis, but you'd probably need a pocket sized map! the detail level of the maps wouldn't be as high as it's configured for small islands!

I would imagine It's actually quite easy, as it's essentially a more detailed version of what legends already does!  It would just export masses of data!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 06:32:46 pm by Maxxeh »

Grub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 06:31:49 pm »

Yeah! A full info dump would be brilliant.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 09:51:07 pm »

i think some of the more detailed stuff arent really stored, only sites have detailed information, unimportant places are generated on the fly

Maxxeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 08:55:06 am »

really? so when you cross the world in adventure mode, it's all randomly generated as you walk?   ???

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 09:04:09 am »

AFAIK, it only stores those sites where something important happened.

Maxxeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 06:21:28 pm »

I see, thats a shame..
well if you revisit a barren area with your adventurer, does it remember landmarks? even if nothing of importance happened there?

It seems strange if it's random, as how would the worldgen know what biomes you have on your embark point, and how does it contain accurate hills and mountains in the right places as you walk? also the current elevation map exported by legends is very accurate on a small scale.
I suppose there'd have to be a set template depending on certain variables in each area, which is then put though a random seed, and then blended with the adjacent squares? sounds like alot to do on the fly!
It sounded alot easier when I thought it was all set in stone on world gen!

If it is random, but the game remembers where the adventurer has been, then a very intensive option is available. a program that emulates an adventurer visiting every square of the map, and then using the stored memory to generate the heightmap!
lol

I just wish I knew some coding so I could give it a go! lol

how about a smaller scale version that exports the heightmap data of your current fort? I'm assuming thats possible due to programs like 3dvis.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 06:26:21 pm by Maxxeh »

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 07:22:51 pm »

guys, I think it's generated in the world history.

One time, I downloaded a map, and embarked on a spot (which got burned down by fire imps). I re-downloaded the save, and re-embarked on the same spot, and nothing was different.

Also, if you gen a map using someone else's seed for a certain spot (assuming the same version), the site they used is still exactly the same.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 07:25:37 pm »

guys, I think it's generated in the world history.

One time, I downloaded a map, and embarked on a spot (which got burned down by fire imps). I re-downloaded the save, and re-embarked on the same spot, and nothing was different.

Also, if you gen a map using someone else's seed for a certain spot (assuming the same version), the site they used is still exactly the same.

exactly...that is the entire point of the seeds....I think everything is already fleshed out number wise and all to the system but when it comes to height maps and stuff it prolly makes that from stored info only when it is accessed...or so...idk

Maxxeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 07:58:28 pm »

very good point! that is a much more foolproof way of determining non-randomness! lol

ok.. so now, you just work out how to get all that massive amounts of data that determines land height of every square on the map, export them all square by square to a lossless image (.TIFF), with the lowest height value as black and the highest point as white, and everything else will be 255 shades of gray in between!

easy! ;)