Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Let there be daggers! (and more)  (Read 1772 times)

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
Let there be daggers! (and more)
« on: December 18, 2007, 05:19:00 pm »

Well, why not? Dwarves can use them and learn the Knife User skill in adventure mode, why not in fortress mode??? And why not put the weapon definitions in entity.txt, so we can properly equip humans in fortress mode with pikes, bows, and more?

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let there be daggers! (and more)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 06:20:00 pm »

Daggers are light short-short-ranged weapons that would commonly be used by thieves, spies, assassins.  They are nice as a secondary weapon, but a legion of "Daggardwarves" will get slaughtered against swords and spears.  But if you want them in, you can edit the entity file, but may require a world re-generation.

Speaking of secondary weapons, I think butchers should have meat cleavers.

[ December 18, 2007: Message edited by: Klokjammer ]

Code: [Select]
g  <-  This is a goat
g  <-  This is a goblin mason
g  <-  This is a gremlin covered in white paint

Does everyone understand the difference now?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 06:28:00 pm »

Sidearms have definitely been suggested before. Perhaps they'll be part of the combat overhaul.

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 07:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Klokjammer:
<STRONG>Daggers are light short-short-ranged weapons that would commonly be used by thieves, spies, assassins.  They are nice as a secondary weapon, but a legion of "Daggardwarves" will get slaughtered against swords and spears.  But if you want them in, you can edit the entity file, but may require a world re-generation.

Speaking of secondary weapons, I think butchers should have meat cleavers.

[ December 18, 2007: Message edited by: Klokjammer ]</STRONG>

There is the problem! The military screen don't have a setting for daggers....

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 09:33:00 pm »

Thats easily fixed by editing the raws.

One thing that would benefit the game a lot is to allow civilians to carry weapons. Every dwarf (excluding children) at the very least should carry a belt knife or dagger. If nothing else it could be used for eating. The only problem is making it work so that they are only used in appropriate settings. I need to give the idea some more though.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 09:44:00 pm »

Hasn't this been discussed many, many times before?
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Doler 12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 08:37:00 am »

I am in for daggers and knives. The can serve as a back-up wapon for archers and crossbowman. The can also be used by front soldiers when the lose there main-weapon. A good knife is also importmen in the wildernis. So if adventure mode is expend with more options, like really eating, drinking, hunting etc, a knife whould be really handy.
BLOCKQUOTE>quote:
Originally posted by Helmaroc:
<STRONG>I saw one peasant and all his family was dead of old age. Nephews, parents, grandparents, children, brothers. All dead. I let him jo

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 09:48:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Tamren:
<STRONG>Thats easily fixed by editing the raws.
</STRONG>

Hmmm could you explain me how to do it? I made daggers craftable all nice, but there is no option to make my dwarves "daggerdwarves"....

Yat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 10:07:00 am »

I forsee people's hammerlords or marksdwarves foregoing their proper weapon to use the knife. It's the kind of thing that always happens, blame it on the dwarves desire for carnage

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 09:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Nite/m4re:
<STRONG> Hmmm could you explain me how to do it? I made daggers craftable all nice, but there is no option to make my dwarves "daggerdwarves"....</STRONG>

Go into the RAWs and find the entity default file. Go in and add[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_DAGGER_LARGE] to the rest of the weapons in the "mountain" section, which is dwarves.

Im not sure if anything has changed but in the previous version i managed to make my dwarves use longswords instead of shortswords.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

doomlichen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 06:04:00 am »

Yeah, I too modded in dwarvish long swords which are wielded in 2 hands and are comparable to axes (10 less damage, 1 more step of crit boost)

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 01:15:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tamren:
<STRONG>

Go into the RAWs and find the entity default file. Go in and add[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_DAGGER_LARGE] to the rest of the weapons in the "mountain" section, which is dwarves.

Im not sure if anything has changed but in the previous version i managed to make my dwarves use longswords instead of shortswords.</STRONG>

Daggers are different, though, because they use a separate skill, whereas shortswords and longswords are both used by the 'sword' skill. There isn't currently a way to get your military dwarves to wield daggers without changing them to be something else, I don't think. (Similarly with other undwarvenly weapons, like blowguns.)

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 02:01:00 pm »

Its too hardcoded then? Damn, well have to wait a bit more then.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 06:12:00 pm »

Yeah. I tried making humans playable, once. I was able to make bows and arrows, which was pretty awesome, but there was no way to get them to equip them. It's hardcoded. I hope Toady makes the "list" editable at some point.

Momaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2007, 12:55:00 am »

I'd just like to point out that a knife and a dagger aren't the same thing.

A knife is a single-edged cutting tool meant to serve a million and one household purposes. Nowadays we have knives for many special purposes, but historically, you had a belt knife and did pretty much everything with it. Consider the classic Finnish "puukko" type. Knives have a single full-length edge, though parts of the back may be sharpened for special purpose knives.  Knives usually have sharp point, though do not not require one. Belt knives typically have between 2 and 5 inches of cutting edge.

Versus a dagger which is a double-edged, always-pointed weapon intended for causing mostly stabbing wounds. Daggers are both longer (some could be considered short swords) and heavier than knives.  Daggers typically also have crossguards to keep one's hand from slipping forward while stiking (which knives do not require), and a pommel to both counter weight the blade and to offer a less lethal alternative.

In short: a knife is a sharp piece of metal meant to cut things like rope and cloth and wood...  while a dagger is a sharp piece of metal meant to stab people.

Dwarf citizens would carry a knife. Dwarf soldiers would carry a dagger.

Pages: [1] 2