Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multiple species in a single entity?  (Read 1260 times)

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
Multiple species in a single entity?
« on: April 11, 2010, 03:52:51 pm »

I noticed that all the animalmen shared a single entity in the raws, and I wondered: does this mean they all live together in one civ, or does each individual civ choose a single race to lead it?  I tested this in a very simple manner: I removed the elves' entity file, and added [CREATURE:ELF] under [ENTITY:PLAINS] (and that was the only change I made).  I gened up a pocket dimension then selected start game>adventure mode, and:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Note that I have the elf civ selected, but the symbol is the same as for humans. Also, the elves have the "Play now!" option, separate from humans.
I stopped there to post this, now going to conduct further testing.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Multiple species in a single entity?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 04:11:54 pm »

A civ entity will select a creature at random from the listed possibilities.  That was the case in the last version, too.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 05:11:14 pm »

Really? Didn't know that :P
Oh well; anyways, my test adventurer is doing fine, just exterminated the last(?) megabeast on earth.  He then got lost underground, but i just found a downwards passage and am gunna explore the HFS there  ;D

Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 05:18:37 pm »

if you add a race to a entity then the individual cities or nations of that civ will have a different race that shared the entity.

if you have two different entities with CIV_CONTROLABLE then you have to tab to the war and trade screen when embarking to see which civ is going to be used in fortress mode. can be changed in game by pressing +/- on the nations list and going back to the war tab. whatever is on the topmost in the war/neighbors tab is the race to be used.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 07:52:34 pm »

Nice. This means you can pile on the extra races, and not worry as much about game balance being screwed up.  Dark Elves and Chaos Dwarves under [ENTITY:EVIL], anyone?

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 09:29:06 pm »

Nice. This means you can pile on the extra races, and not worry as much about game balance being screwed up.  Dark Elves and Chaos Dwarves under [ENTITY:EVIL], anyone?
just to make it clear because i might have explained weirdly. 1 entity, multiple races, multiple cities, each city is a different race but they all work together. if they siege it'll be of one race or the other at a time.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 07:03:30 am »

Exactly.  That way, you can put in all those new races, and not be under constant siege by ALL of them...