Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LAYER_LINKED  (Read 1233 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
LAYER_LINKED
« on: April 11, 2010, 01:56:57 pm »

Has anyone verified what happens if a playable civilization is given the Layer_Linked tag? Does it cause any errors? What happens? Because frankly, there are many, many interesting possibilities here, not just for playable entities, but expansions of existing animal civs.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
Re: LAYER_LINKED
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 02:18:59 pm »

I think it might cause infinite rejects if they're the ACTIVE  Controllable civ, as they don't actually get placed in civs like the rest of the creatures.

But if you add civ-controllable to them after a world is genned with a race that does get actual civs placed,  I believe they still play like a dwarf fortress, you're above ground and have to build

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 04:33:04 pm »

Subterranean civs are generated at embark, and not on the world map [I confirmed this by re-embarking on the exact same spot several times using the same world], so if you set a LAYER_LINKED civ to be playable you will get infinite map rejects.

Setting LAYER_LINKED to a creature post-creation does nothing, the tag seems to be ignored as far as buildable structures and labour settings are concerned.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 05:26:53 pm »

Interesting. So what -can- be done to underground civs, then?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 06:27:58 pm »

I suspect that if you made a civ of above ground creatures the layer linked tag, they form above ground, but I neither tested it nor heard of any exploits experimenting with it.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 06:40:06 pm »

Subterranean civs are generated at embark, and not on the world map [I confirmed this by re-embarking on the exact same spot several times using the same world], so if you set a LAYER_LINKED civ to be playable you will get infinite map rejects.

I dunno. It apparantly places them during World Gen, or it at least claims to.