Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dealing with unkillable you-know-what (spoiler)  (Read 3448 times)

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with unkillable you-know-what (spoiler)
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2010, 01:47:24 am »

As for siege weapons... last I'd heard, a metal-tipped balista bolt lightly bruised a dog.

What about a
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
catapult stone?

I didn't think you could get that in fortress mode at all.  ...And if you have it, you're clearly capable of far more deviousness than I.  Since what you have to kill to get it is generally worse in terms of unkillability, isn't it?

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2010, 02:12:29 am »

I remember reading somewhere that you can mine it from above by channeling it. That, or you can mod down the Fracture values. Never delved that far myself, but maybe if you carefully remove some of the walls, you can get some to catapult.

sinan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2010, 01:58:55 pm »

So I scrapped my retractable bridge, as it wouldn't function with the forgotten beasts on it, and built a skinny 9x1 floor held up by supports with ramps on either end to get on and off it.

After opening the gates the vomit beast paths in and waits at the bottom of the ramp. I gave him about 5 days and he just waited for me, so I did what any good outpost leader would do and stationed a guard on the bridge. Well my unarmored guard was just the kind of enticement that vomit beast needed, they fought for a bit of the bridge while someone ran to pull the support leaver, after which they both plummeted 25z levels and the vomit beast turned into shrapnel.

Now I have 3 caravans worth of stuff to haul from outside, not to mention the goblins that got ripped apart.

So any ideas about why the beast wouldn't get up on that bridge without a dwarven sacrifice?

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2010, 03:19:38 pm »

So any ideas about why the beast wouldn't get up on that bridge without a dwarven sacrifice?

Simple, he didn't have a reason to.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

lordofhyphens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2010, 03:28:48 pm »

(0.31.03)

I've got an interesting story from my frozen tundra fortress. A bauxite titan showed up outside, so the dwarfs pull the bridge lever and lock the fearsome beast outside. A season or so later an ambush of gobbos found it and found themselves slaughtered. I thus left my bridge retracted and proceed to ignore the titan whilst it murders incoming migrants, gobbo sieges, and human and hippie caravans.

Eventually, I look and see that the titan has been slain. Further investigation reveals that someone got lucky and chopped it in half.
"Extinction is not an option."

BitLooter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2010, 06:24:33 pm »

I'm being attacked by a peridot monster right now. Quickly drafted my miners in the hope dwarfs that carve through rock for a living wouldn't have any trouble with a rock monster, but no suck luck. So I've come up with an alternate solution: Load last summer's save. This time, I'll seal off the underground so when another one shows up it can't get in. Then I'll ready my trap - a giant pit leading directly into a the magma sea. Anything shows up my soldiers can't handle (who, by the way, spent the whole battle running back and forth on top of the weapons stockpile after I told them to kill it) gets to take a magma bath. Hopefully I won't get attacked by anything magma-proof that swims.
Well really, if you can't be an insane Dwarven dictator hellbent on genociding Mermaids for their precious bones in a video game, where CAN you?

wallie79r

• Bay Watcher
  • Ravenous Seal
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2010, 07:06:42 pm »

My current preferred procedure is to send a few brave volunteers to hold it still, then mine out a nice little chamber directly above the battle site, then drop that through the ceiling, hopefully resulting in Forgotten McScary spending the rest of eternity in a small dark room with the corpses his new best friends! Of course, it hasn't actually worked yet, but Science marches on.
This world will burn and with it end the reign of man, a mercy stroke!

Lordcryst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2010, 09:29:54 pm »

So I scrapped my retractable bridge, as it wouldn't function with the forgotten beasts on it, and built a skinny 9x1 floor held up by supports with ramps on either end to get on and off it.

After opening the gates the vomit beast paths in and waits at the bottom of the ramp. I gave him about 5 days and he just waited for me, so I did what any good outpost leader would do and stationed a guard on the bridge. Well my unarmored guard was just the kind of enticement that vomit beast needed, they fought for a bit of the bridge while someone ran to pull the support leaver, after which they both plummeted 25z levels and the vomit beast turned into shrapnel.

Now I have 3 caravans worth of stuff to haul from outside, not to mention the goblins that got ripped apart.

This skinny bridge and the "You shall not pass" business reminds me of a movie I once saw.

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2010, 10:03:07 pm »

Well...

Have you tried an atom smasher?
Pages: 1 2 [3]