Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dealing with unkillable you-know-what (spoiler)  (Read 3459 times)

Emnar

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun...I should know!
    • View Profile
Dealing with unkillable you-know-what (spoiler)
« on: April 11, 2010, 01:25:54 pm »

I can find lots of complaints about forgotten beasts that can't be killed (general consensus is it's a bug, right?), but not many strategies for workarounds.  How have you dealt with them?

My challenge right now is a giant humanoid, who breathes poisonous gas  :-[, made of diamond  :'(.  Given the current state of damage modelling, my dwarves can never kill Mr. Bling, just get him down to nearly everything lopped off, and the rest red, before he slowly wears them down.  I guess with endless shoulder-checks.

I'm fully prepared to take casualties killing a giant made of diamond, but the fact that he can never die seems unfair.  (I wouldn't be averse to modding if there's a quick RAW fix to the invincible-titan issue.  Hey, I want to try out my shiny new hospital, and that'll never happen if I just dump Mr. Bling in a pit!  Suggestions?)

What strategies, fair and not, have you used to deal with your unkillable megabeasts?

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with unkillable you-know-what (spoiler)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 01:30:55 pm »

Have you tried luring him onto a cage trap?
Then you can just toss him in a volcano.

Lordcryst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 01:38:21 pm »

They have [trAP_AVOID] or something, meaning they must be unconscious on a trap in order for it to function.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 01:41:06 pm »

Can't you dig a hole underneath it and eventually make it cave-in so it falls to its death? That way, you haven't wasted the precious diamond corpse/statue that you might gain from it :)

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 01:41:50 pm »

Sadly there's no way to mod titans or fiends or forgotten beasts or whatnot, as they are hard-coded and not in any raw file. And most of them completely avoid traps, yes.

Generally the only way to kill things like that is to melt them somehow; until creatures without brains get 'severonbreaks' than there's nothing you can do. Some unkillable creatures can be modded though, such as bronze colossi, to get them to be killable.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 03:06:40 pm »

Mr. Shine...  He Diamond.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 04:35:13 pm »

<claps> Win!

Anyway, yeah. Anything that's made of inorganic substances appear to be unkillable by way of not having vital organs... since death in this game appears to now be linked to vital organs, and not to simply lopping everything off, that's a problem...

Jesus I hope toady fixes the damn damage and death mechanics soon... I'm finding the game unplayable at the moment unless I turn off invasions...
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 08:23:33 pm »

[SPEED:1] and either wall or chan.... f*ing channel ramps!! Wall the bastard in as fast as you can and deal with him later.

Rawl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 08:50:13 pm »

isn't it supposed to be Him Diamond?

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 09:34:26 pm »

I have a retardedly-fast mason/miner who I use to finish off the traps. What I'll do is, there'll be a short path with most of the surrounding area channeled out. Like this:
XXXXX
X___X
_____
X___X
XXXXX
Then, I lure the megabeast onto the center and channel out the last two areas with a miner. Roof collapsed, disaster averted, corpse collected. I actually have a stockpile of corpses containing only megabeasts. Like a trophy room.

God, I love this game.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 09:49:24 pm »

either lure him into a 6 z level pit or mod in super dwarfs/ knock out farts and lace the place with cage traps.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 10:05:42 pm »

isn't it supposed to be Him Diamond?

'Tis indeed.

Mr Shine
Him diamond
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 11:35:27 pm »

<claps> Win!

Jesus I hope toady fixes the damn damage and death mechanics soon... I'm finding the game unplayable at the moment unless I turn off invasions...

i'm in the same boat. I'm not continuing the play the new version for anything other than laughing at the awesome forgotten beasts in legends mode or for suicide runs at the new HFS. As for any serious forts, those will have to wait until the combat mechanics are fixed. I sincerely hope I don't have to wait as long as I did for this version to come out to see the combat stuff fixed up. But the latest bugfix release makes me feel confident toady will get it hammered out.

TauQuebb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 07:51:19 am »

Hehheh, Pratchett is awsome, got that book signed.

But yeah, I find the best way was collapsing a 5x5 lump of granit roof on them, but i think i will do some experiments, try using seige weapons on the unkillables as a test

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 09:53:44 am »

Retractable bridge over deep pit, so he would be kept safe from your dorfs. Then you could experiment on ways to kill it.
Pages: [1] 2 3