Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dealing with unkillable you-know-what (spoiler)  (Read 3452 times)

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with unkillable you-know-what (spoiler)
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 11:31:45 am »

Once he's already surrounded by dwarves, you may have an issue. You should have a few options, though.

One, a highly destructive cave-in/magma flow... either should work, but will kill your dwarves too, and since miners won't get near him...

Second, you should be able to mod him to death. Just lower the melting point of diamond.

As for siege weapons... last I'd heard, a metal-tipped balista bolt lightly bruised a dog.

By the way... anyone know if creatures made out of non-living material are poison immune?

In general, http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=54532.0 traps for handling the nastiest of the nasty.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Thornet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 02:32:05 pm »

Anyway, yeah. Anything that's made of inorganic substances appear to be unkillable by way of not having vital organs... since death in this game appears to now be linked to vital organs, and not to simply lopping everything off, that's a problem...

I had a giant clay humanoid come to my fortress yesterday. I was terrified because I thought he would be invisible, but my wrestler went at him with a training axe. There wasn't even corpse left, just piles of clay everywhere.

So maybe it's only really hard substances? 

AnotherDwarvernDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 02:41:21 pm »

Anyway, yeah. Anything that's made of inorganic substances appear to be unkillable by way of not having vital organs... since death in this game appears to now be linked to vital organs, and not to simply lopping everything off, that's a problem...

I had a giant clay humanoid come to my fortress yesterday. I was terrified because I thought he would be invisible, but my wrestler went at him with a training axe. There wasn't even corpse left, just piles of clay everywhere.

You probably meant invincible. Mud is quite visible. But yeah, soft substances can easily be punched off. Try fighting with a blood man some time - weak, and splattery.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 02:49:35 pm »

Indeed, however, if he had been a ball of clay or a lump of flesh, the slashing weapons that enable the death of this soft, humanoid critter, are utterly useless.

Thornet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 03:01:21 pm »

You probably meant invincible. Mud is quite visible. But yeah, soft substances can easily be punched off. Try fighting with a blood man some time - weak, and splattery.

Yes, invincible <_< >_>. Although, I'm not sure which one would be more terrifying.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 03:20:44 pm »

I haven't had much issue with forgotten beasts, as I've only had one dwarf die to one so far, and one of three I've encountered has been spending several months chasing after a kitten without striking a single blow.

But as for the . . . deeper randomly generated things, I plan on using an cave-in caging chamber, like one guy used against the froggy clowns in the previous version.

Then I will display them in the throne room I'm building for the magma sea throne room challenge.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Ardenn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 03:31:03 pm »

I have a forgotten beast fire-breathing aphid wandering around my cavern, which is completely blocked off from my fort.

Another one, a blob of water, came along into the same cavern. I was hoping they would start fighting (do they?), probably in a near-infinite stalemate, but the game crashed before they encountered each other and the blob has not returned.

I really wanted to see if the aphid could turn the blob into steam.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 03:32:44 pm by Ardenn »

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 06:20:04 pm »

I don't see why they would care about a balista bolt through the head anyway- without organs you can only cut off body parts and mangle them, neither of which is deadly without vital organs right now.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 07:51:02 pm »

If a creature has a single body part, can you cut off that one?  Sounds unlikely, but with this game you can never really know, can you? (at least after a fresh version)

I just ran into something with a dust breath attack that causes fever and, if exposure continues, massive bleeding.  I think I may just temporarily mod dwarves into immunity.  Anything to get near it almost instantly drops, and marksdwarfs are hard to use now.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

sinan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 09:24:19 pm »

So I was thinking myself clever by constructing a giant shaft down the centre of my fort , about 25z levels so far, the shaft is 11x11 with a 9x9 retracting bridge on top. I constructed this so I'd be able to deal with ridiculous stuff that my military couldn't handle.

Well, I got an un-killable forgotten beast and wanted to try giving it the drop after it had its way with my small military. I managed to trap it on the retractable bridge, but now when I operate its lever the bridge doesn't actuate, I know the bridge works because I've used it to drop pets. The beast is a building destroyer, but unfortunately won't destroy the bridge that's supporting him... grumble grumble.

Any precedent for retractable bridges not operating? how should I deal with this thing?

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2010, 09:43:19 pm »

Maybe... it's... resistant to what'cha'ma'call'it... Bridges.  Working at all.  Not even the atom smasher variety is it resistant to, but all bridges?

sinan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2010, 10:20:54 pm »

Does anyone know if these beasts will leave of their own volition if I open the gates and don't let it path to my dwarves?

Ardenn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2010, 10:35:18 pm »

Nah, I've had 3 wandering around my cavern for a while now. I created a goblin pit with an opening...

After fighting the aphid for about a season, 16 macegoblins killed it. Later I looked at the pit and the "deadly dust" monster had killed them with barely any effort.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2010, 10:36:20 pm »

I think the best way to get rid of these things is simply to call upon Armok to smite them from existence.

Unfortunately, there's no Dwarf Companion for 31.03 yet, so you'll have to bust out your super memory editor skillz...
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2010, 11:45:34 pm »

As for siege weapons... last I'd heard, a metal-tipped balista bolt lightly bruised a dog.

What about a
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
catapult stone?
Pages: 1 [2] 3