Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caste-level triggered morphing  (Read 629 times)

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
Caste-level triggered morphing
« on: April 11, 2010, 01:18:29 pm »

Currently castes act mostly as seperate entities in a creature; males and females are entirely seperate, for example. What I'd like to see is the ability via modding to turn one caste into another, preferably via a caste-level tag such as [MORPH:agemin:agemax:kills:size:caste_tag], where the ages, kills, and size tokens would be triggers (or any number of formats could be used, such as :triggertype:value, ie 'AGE_YEAR:6'). It would change a specific creature to an entirely different caste once those triggers are reached.

Esssentially caste-level morphing would give a huge range of functionality in terms of modding; creatures like ant-men who have distinct castes (queen, drone, etc) could be triggered to morph into a specific caste at certain dates in their lifespan. A chicken creature could begin life as a baby egg, then hatch into a chicken thanks to caste-level body tag changes.

The only tricky part coding-wise is ensuring body parts translate properly between creatures with vastly different body tokens, ie. should an ant-man drone with a missing leg that morphs into a queen also be missing a different leg? Then you'd also have to check for scars, clothing, and so on (woe to the flying creature that morphs into something without wings!).

Anyway, just a thought.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Caste-level triggered morphing
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 03:03:14 pm »

This is planned:

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: Quote from: i are not good with compu
I'm hoping we'll be able to define phases of development (i.e. [Child] of creature has its own tokens, and at [Age] it becomes [Adolescent] and its tokens change).

Not yet -- I didn't want to deal with wound/inventory transfers yet for completely different bodies, but I'm hoping to get there in some future release.

More:

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: JoshuaFH
In the future, will it be possible to create creatures that 'transform' upon receiving certain stimuli, or after meeting some condition? Like, a snake that transforms into a bird and back? Or a caterpillar that undergoes the various stages of cacoon to a butterfly?

There are a boatload of problems that I think were brought up, but it's something that'll likely happen as we move toward magic and also work out how things like metamorphosis and eggs and all that work out.