Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: stockpile designations  (Read 635 times)

M K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
stockpile designations
« on: November 18, 2006, 12:58:00 pm »

haven't read all the slated improvements, but this came to mind when digging out the bedrooms.

Have a designation type called "Gather to Stockpile" with a submenu that can specify WHICH stockpile to gather.  The type allowed in the stockpile will determine what they look for in the designated area.

Got a large dining hall you are trying to excavate and clear out to make it grand and glorious?  You could designate a Gather Stockpile area over that room and assign it to any stone stockpile.

Instead of the dwarves picking a random item over the entire fortress to haul off, they would first check for designated gathering areas.  If/when there's a priority system available, you could assign a priority to various designations to help them decide which to do at any given moment.

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
Re: stockpile designations
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 02:15:00 pm »

This has been suggested before, I know, but it really is a very good idea that can't be stressed enough.  I had exactly the same trouble with my dining room; the dwarves actually remove the newest items first (it's not as random as you might think), so they make the trek to clean the grey stone out of the trans-chasm deep mining operations before they go for the ones sitting on the fancy double-engraved floor in the dining room.

There are so many useful designations that could be created.  A "Dangerous Area" designation may make sense during sieges or farm flooding, for instance.

"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA