Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: cat cancels clean self: area inaccessible  (Read 2551 times)

antone

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
cat cancels clean self: area inaccessible
« on: April 11, 2010, 12:15:38 pm »

I keep getting spammed by messages like: cat cancels clean self: area inaccessible what area is he looking for ?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: cat cancels clean self: area inaccessible
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 12:18:27 pm »

Reading the thread title made me think of an image of a cat with one of those cones around its head desperately trying to lick itself. Area inaccessible!
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 12:20:12 pm »

So this is a feature and not a bug.
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Todestool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 12:21:20 pm »

I know dorfs need water to clean themselves, so maybe critters do too.  That spam is most likely the result of the fairly common pathing bug.  Locking and unlocking a door (any door, anywhere) should fix it.  If you have no doors, save and reload.

There is also a vanishingly small possibility that you actually have a cat trapped somewhere.  Just follow the piteous mewing...

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 12:27:08 pm »

Hi!

Yes, cats (and other animals) use water to clean themselves up, adding to the blood bath surrounding your water sources.

Actually, thanks to that behavior, I had the funniest (in my opinion) job cancellation thus far:
XXXXX, cat cancels clean self: water source vanished
Fortunately, that was something I expected and no problem - my water source are surface pools, and they freeze over for a few days during winter.

Deathworks

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 12:40:27 pm »

XXXXX, cat cancels clean self: water source vanished

That is one dehydrated cat.

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 12:49:01 pm »

can we assign cleaning areas?  I want a bathouse [dwarven style: stand in that pool of blood and pile of vomit near a trench of water.  Now clean!]

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 12:57:01 pm »

I've seen this with dogs, and I also immediately wondered who put a cone on the dog's head.  But it seemed to be caused by having a zone designated as a water source that was unreachable.  Cats and dogs apparently need water to clean themselves now.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 01:05:52 pm »

can we assign cleaning areas?  I want a bathouse [dwarven style: stand in that pool of blood and pile of vomit near a trench of water.  Now clean!]

Oh, I'm totally designing this.  Put a reservoir on top of the "bathhouse", then put in some pressure plates or levers, and a drain and suddenly you have a shower for your dwarves!

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 01:09:09 pm »

Hi!

For cleaning self, that is no problem. Simply mark a zone and make it your water source. Dwarves (and anyone else) will prefer to go there to clean themselves up. Although I have also seen some tell-tale blood around other surface pools, it seems to be fairly reliable.

Deathworks

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 01:15:34 pm »

Hehe, now we need separate water zones - washing water and drinking water.

It's kinda nasty to have one dwarf run up and grab a bucket of water at the same time that another guy is washing off a bunch of blood and guts from a fight, with the water all red and bloody while the guy is getting it. The poor dwarf in the hospital is probably wondering why his water has a metallic taste.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 01:17:51 pm »

Hi!

It's kinda nasty to have one dwarf run up and grab a bucket of water at the same time that another guy is washing off a bunch of blood and guts from a fight, with the water all red and bloody while the guy is getting it. The poor dwarf in the hospital is probably wondering why his water has a metallic taste.

I have not checked this myself as I have not dug a well in 31.0x thus far (too busy with other projects), but people have reported that wells will not be used for clean self. This would also fit with the happy thought "had a nice bath" caused by clean self. If that is the case, having a water source pool and a water source well would actually do that separation. But as I said, no confirmation on my part.

Deathworks

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 01:19:19 pm »

As anybody who has or has had a cat will know, cats are very fussy about being clean, so its not real surprising.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 01:34:57 pm »

Actually, I do believe this error message is a bug, and I believe it has something to do with bars of soap.

I had a cat and a dog in a fortress, along with a well and a large stockpile of soap bars. My dwarves would clean themselves off next to the well no problem and use soap to take baths, apparently. But the cat and dog got covered in blood and they would run to the soap stockpile, stand near it, then give that error message over and over and over and over again.

Annoying!

Also what the hell are they trying to do, drag the soap over to the well by their teeth?

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 02:02:38 pm »

Nasty?  It's hardcore is what it is.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.
Pages: [1] 2