Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What's With The Anger / Lack Of Joking Here Nowadays?  (Read 5865 times)

Pathos

What's With The Anger / Lack Of Joking Here Nowadays?
« on: April 11, 2010, 07:56:49 am »

Lately, I've been seeing lots of humour / joke threads be beaten down / torn apart by angry people. Like that one who said he was watching Toady like an eagle or something.

Where's the funny gone from the forums? >:

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: What's With The Anger / Lack Of Joking Here Nowadays?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 08:06:02 am »

A lot of "humour" / "joke" threads showing up on the wrong part of the forums is what I've been seeing. There is an entire other part of the forums for non-DF related garbage like "Toady One I Am Watching You Like A Hawk."

But if you're legitimately wondering why the people posting "What should we call the clown car" and "Guy let's make new preselected memes for the community" threads over and over again are getting negative response, it's because in the first scenario a lot of people really don't like the way-past-its-due-date clown analogy (or any similar forced metaphor I should add) and the new version is the best time to stop that and the second scenario was a bad idea to begin with.

There's plenty of humour on this forum, it's just lightly sprinkled on everything rather than being concentrated in "haha look guys this is going to be so good just wait" threads.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 08:13:01 am by Retro »

Pathos

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 08:12:42 am »

A lot of "humour" / "joke" threads showing up on the wrong part of the forums is what I've been seeing. There is an entire other part of the forums for non-DF related garbage like "Toady One I Am Watching You Like A Hawk."

But if you're legitimately wondering why the people posting "What should we call the clown car" and "Guy let's make new preselected memes for the community" threads over and over again are getting negative response, it's because in the first scenario a lot of people really don't like the way-past-its-due-date clown analogy and the new version is the best time to stop that and the second scenario was a bad idea to begin with.

There's plenty of humour on this forum, it's just lightly sprinkled on everything rather than being concentrated in "haha look guys this is going to be so good just wait" threads.

Except, that's how it used to be. It was truly funny stuff. I've noticed a lot more anger on these forums lately, too. As a general thing, I mean.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 08:32:05 am »

Things are still exceptionally funny, and there isn't yelling at most of it. The problem is in those who come on here thinking they are funny and aren't.

It'd be like me posting a picture of a dog sitting on its butt and having a big laugh at it, and beating on anyone who isn't rolling on the floor about it. It's just a dumb dog sitting on it's dumb butt. When something of that nature comes around, hostility is the natural course of action. Wishing something to be funny doesn't make it so. Sure, some small percentage will laugh at it, but that doesn't actually make it funny.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

MaxMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 10:04:34 am »

I haven't seen any anger but maybe I missed it? This is a great community never the less.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 10:47:36 am »

If I had to guess I'd say it's because of the new version having just came out.

This has attracted a lot of new forumgoers.

And as science shows, people you don't know are jerks.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 10:56:14 am »

But if you're legitimately wondering why the people posting "What should we call the clown car" and "Guy let's make new preselected memes for the community" threads over and over again are getting negative response, it's because in the first scenario a lot of people really don't like the way-past-its-due-date clown analogy and the new version is the best time to stop that and the second scenario was a bad idea to begin with.

Except, that's how it used to be. It was truly funny stuff. I've noticed a lot more anger on these forums lately, too. As a general thing, I mean.

If the new version has taught you anything, it should be that change is good.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 11:31:40 am »

Its not like we're angry all the time or that we don't enjoy humour, but making omg look guyse dis so funnay kind of threads is the very opposite of funny. As a matter of fact, 90% of all threads created to be funny end up being lame and retarded.

Please, no more of the clown stuff, its old and was never funny, just like real clowns.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 12:11:14 pm »

Or statements about how Dwarf Fortress was featured in -insert random crap here- when it wasn't.

Those aren't funny either.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 12:23:28 pm »

Please, no more of the clown stuff, its old and was never funny, just like real clowns.

Clowns aren't meant to be funny. They're meant to traumatize small children.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 12:34:27 pm »

See, they are apt analogies for HFS!  heh heh

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 12:38:58 pm »

Its not like we're angry all the time or that we don't enjoy humour, but making omg look guyse dis so funnay kind of threads is the very opposite of funny. As a matter of fact, 90% of all threads created to be funny end up being lame and retarded.

Bingo!

Lame threads whose point is "Lets be funny and overdo meme!" are pretty much guaranteed not to be funny.

Small chart of not funny:
* Thread whose point is to create new meme.
* Thread whose point is to debate existing meme and extend it.
* Thread where people are asked to make new jokes about X using Y meme
* 3rd and onwards thread that tries to capitalize on brand new meme.
* Post where someone tries to shoehon meme to topic.
* Post where someone tries to shoehorn topic to meme
* Profit!

See, there is nothing inherently unfunny about mentions of Clowns or Magma. But there is also nothing inhenretly funny about it.

Seriously, when someone describes new HFS as "If those things are Clowns then that place is freaking Ciscus" and does in in gracious offhand manner, it is hilarious. When someone makes "Clowns & Circus" thread, it is guaranteed to be not funny.

The same way as canned "use magma" response is met with silent audience and well timed "use magma" is met with maniacal laughter.

Lets face it, most of DF players do not have standup-comedian tallent. Don't try being funny on your own.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 01:06:48 pm »

Hi!

I don't know, besides the clown debate that caught the attention of people (I think Zwei describes that quite well), I also have a feeling that people are also a bit more pushy nowadays about things. Asking Toady One to add this or that feature, or nagging about when the next port for Mac or Linux will be out. Mind you, I am not against those ports, and I am not against improvements of the game (I am desperately trying to find my own, personal bug to report and render to destruction that way), but that nagging and some of the "do what I want" feels rather poisoned.

Another problem I see is that there have been some people people who have been disappointed by the new release because they have not realized that this is a intermittent alpha release for extended bug testing on the "will this actually run?" level. Some of these people have voiced their dissatisfaction about the current state of things rather loudly, resulting in angry debates without realizing that this release is basically only for those willing to do constant bug testing.

Deathworks

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 01:21:09 pm »

Not only are the jokes being bashed down, but the games too, the forum is less fun then I remember it to be several months ago.

It's just really hard talking with someone who is opposite from you in many ways...

I just don't know how to say it, it's kinda just like the fun in fun is going away.

And the reason I was angry at the Hawk thread was that it was rubbish, If it were not so silly and simple 'I'M WATCHING YOU TOADY' then I might have had some fun, but it's just the kind of thread that turns me off, in short; I dislike those kinds of threads with a passion.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 01:39:35 pm »

It's just really hard talking with someone who is opposite from you in many ways...

Okay, so don't.  Is it so hard to not post?  Unpopular threads die far more quickly when people who dislike them ignore them...rather than perpetuating the problem and feeding the trolls.
Pages: [1] 2 3