Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Allow us to leave a fortress to its own devices  (Read 1303 times)

Solmyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Allow us to leave a fortress to its own devices
« on: April 11, 2010, 05:44:34 am »

As an alternative to abandoning a fortress, I'd like an option to just leave it to run itself and start a new game in the same world. In my current game, for whatever reason I was able to start with dwarves from a civ that has NO mountainhomes, only a king (wherever he is) and some other people. It would be fun to re-establish that civ hands-on, building several fortresses for it to occupy without abandoning each one.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Allow us to leave a fortress to its own devices
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 05:57:23 am »

Not sure but it seems like this already is possible.

When I abandoned fortresses that weren´t just experiencing any dangerous events (like siege, ambushs or megabeasts) I could read in the histroy of said fortress, that after my abandoning of the fortress the adventurers band that founded the fortress would get dissolved, but immediately a new adventurers band would get created.

While I am not 100% sure (never having visited one of these fortresses with an adventurer) this sounds to me as if the fortress has survived and now runs on its own. 

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 06:08:00 am »

Sometimes dwarves will not leave the abandoned fortress. It won't serve as mountainhome though; you won't be able to start an adventurer from there (other than play now) nor retire there. If your fortress had shops, they won't function either. The items will still get scattered, etc.

So an option to retire a fortress is still to be implemented.
Also, this has been suggested, like, over 9000 times.

Kuraudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 06:40:52 am »

If I recall the interviews with Toady I read correctly, this won't be implemented until the Caravan arc preliminaries at the very least.  Not *that* far off but still a ways away.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 02:07:40 pm »

This is one of the features that I'm looking forward to most.  Long-term, I'm hoping to be able to resume worldgen on an existing world, including player-started forts, so I can run a fort for a while, then "retire" from fort management, hit the "age world 50 years" button and then get back into the world as an adventurer, or with a new fort, and have all my old forts and adventurers integrated into the history.
I brake for stumble bumblings