Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: #Warm clothes# instead of 34 items...  (Read 2031 times)

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
#Warm clothes# instead of 34 items...
« on: December 18, 2007, 06:19:00 am »

Ok,I do like the large number of stuff that can be made, but there is a point when further stuff just creates more micro and less game. So I'm for diminshing the total number of items. the hat "hat" is good enough for me, but I would prefer the clothing "clothes". the input needed to make clothes could vary between climates, say that there are the clothings

Very Warm Clothes (dwarfes will want to have them on glacier maps)

Warm Clothes (cold)

Clothes (sufficient for dwarfes working indoors, they will have a bad though if they need to go outside in the snow wearing this)

Light Clothes (working in the forge, in the tropics and near magma)

Noble clothes (nobles do not go outside), dwarfes will get a happy though for owning a noble clothes if they are not noble, nobles will demand more noble clothes if other dwarfes can afford it aswell.

Royal clothes, high nobles demand this regularly, they require a good skill level to make and use up a crapload of stuff. Precious metals, gems, silk exotic leather, dyed cloth solely, should be worth a huge sum of money and take a long time to make.

the input for a Clothes item would then vary say 8 cloths and 2 leather for warm clothes, 3 cloths 1 leather for light clothing and 6 clothes, 4 silk and 4 leather for noble clothing.

this would diminish CPU load quite much, reduce micromanagment and make stockpiles more efficient. it would also reduce the need to spend 20 minutes going through every stockpile thwowing away narrow clothing.

also make clothes storable in cabinets, so if I build 10 cabinets and designate them as warehouse they will be stacked with "clothes" that dwarfes will fetch new ones here when the old ones are worn out.

Eventually create the task repair clothes at the clothier shop, dwarfes go there themselves and que a job ut (repair clothes, wich wil ltake their X clothesX and 1 cloth and turn it into "Clothes" of a lesser quality.

auto check clothes for sex. males take up male clothing , and females dito. in the description later it says

This is a dwarfen female dress. its made of red dyed cloth, blue dyed cloth, jaguar leather, cloth and goat leather. it is of good quality. It is a traditional dress bla bla and is in need of repair.

and finally, get rid of the exotic clothing shop

Fedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: #Warm clothes# instead of 34 items...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 06:57:00 am »

I like the idea about repairing Clothes with a piece of cloth, aslong as it still deteriorates over a long time or gives it a very low quality so the dwarves get new ones and dump the old.
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 07:00:00 am »

No. Except for decreasing the CPU load, I don't like this idea at all. The borderline absurd attention to detail is what I and many others love about this game. Honestly I don't even pay attention to clothes right now but I wouldn't want the option removed.

What ought to happen (and maybe at one point will), is the ability to order up bundled packages much like what you're suggesting. Instead of having to select each article of clothing, order 10 sets of warm clothes and have it pop out the necessary boots, jacket, etc., presuming materials are available. (It'd be useful for armor too.) I presume we'll get something like that eventually to take the edge off of having to micromanage crap while you deal with greater things like warfare and diplomacy.

Edit: The No was directed at the idea of single item clothing like "warm clothes", I do like the idea of repairing clothes, and cabinets (and maybe make dressers too) could definitely store items better (rather more consistently) than they do now.

[ December 18, 2007: Message edited by: Funkadelic Jive Turkey ]

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 07:14:00 am »

How about lowering it to three categories - Helm, Outfit, Boots. Give many different kinds of outfits for variety, but still only three equipment slots.

Example outfits:
Explorer Furs
Traveler Outfit
Goblin Chainmail
Dwarven Halfplate
Noble Robes
Peasant Garb
Scholar Robes
Delver Gear
etc.

[ December 18, 2007: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

puffs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 11:15:00 am »

Just have the option to "make a set of clothes" from the clothier's workshop, while keeping the option to make individual pieces.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 01:24:00 pm »

Maybe custom order macros for the manager? As in, designate an order macro "Make suit of plant fiber clothes", and add "Make plant fiber dress", "Make plant fiber trousers", "Make plant fiber gloves", "Make plant fiber socks", "Make plant fiber shoes", "Make plant fiber hat", and "Make plant fiber leggings" to it. Save such macros separate from the worlds. Some should probably come with the game, like the one I described.

In a sense, macros already are in the game - make shoes is actually "make left shoe" and "make right shoe", and all other paired items.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 06:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Red Jackard:
<STRONG>How about lowering it to three categories - Helm, Outfit, Boots. Give many different kinds of outfits for variety, but still only three equipment slots.</STRONG>
Head
Upper body/torso
Lower body/legs
Hands
Feet
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 06:15:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>In a sense, macros already are in the game - make shoes is actually "make left shoe" and "make right shoe", and all other paired items.</STRONG>

Is it really? I always got the impression they made one shoe\glove per order, but pairs for things like that would be (if they aren't there already) great.

ZrO4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 02:23:00 am »

whats wrong with *no* clothes

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 02:24:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by ZrO4:
<STRONG>whats wrong with *no* clothes</STRONG>

Ever seen a naked dwarf?

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 02:29:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Funkadelic Jive Turkey:
<STRONG>

Is it really? I always got the impression they made one shoe\glove per order, but pairs for things like that would be (if they aren't there already) great.</STRONG>

a shoe (or sock, or glove, or mitten, or...) order takes 1 cloth/leather and makes 1 left shoe and 1 right shoe.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 02:55:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Quift:
<STRONG>diminshing the total number of items</STRONG>
GODDAMNIT, NO!
That would be the equal of removing limb damage and given dwarves a basic HP value like every other generic RPG/Adventure game. It is NOT going to happen, not given the complexity of the rest of the game.

quote:
[clothing types]
this i can agree with, and to an extent, it's already in the game. The *giant cave spider silk socks* wont be afordable to a hauler when the economy is on, but the -pig tail socks- would be. It'd also help that nobles would grab the * stuff, and true nobles (royalty) would grab the higher stuff. Also showing what effect clothing has on dwarves in connection with the environment would also help.

quote:
cabinets
cabinets already store clothes... it's just that dwarves seem to store only rotting clothes in them. [anways, the clothing and economy Ai needs to be improved heavilly before my dwarves get to wear any of the clothing i've made... why do you think i remove all my clothing stores?]

quote:
repair clothes task
Hell yes!

quote:
and finally, get rid of the exotic clothing shop
i say keep it, but alter it so as to make it stock only the more interesting dwarf-wearable items -- things that are <<improved>> or of above-standard quality compared to the rest of the clothes in the fortress (if 90% of clothes are - quality, then * would be exotic)
But yeah, no narrow goblin/elf and 'large' human crap in dwarven shops.

[ December 19, 2007: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 04:20:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Align:
<STRONG>Head
Upper body/torso
Lower body/legs
Hands
Feet</STRONG>
In my opinion if you are only going to reduce it to only five you might as well not bother. It lacks both the convenience of the idea and the options of the original.

:confused:

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 05:01:00 am »

I liked the option of keeping all the current items but having a 'build set of clothes' selection, it would have to take more materials but that shouldn't be a problem.

But to be honest having to queue up a make 30 hats, make 30 socks etc orders in the manager isn't a big hardship. The main annoyance i have with clothes is that dwarves don't seem to replace them.

I like the idea of repairs though, with the econmony on it could be cheaper to repair than to buy new ones, and use thread as well.

Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 02:17:00 pm »

A suggestion to reduce cpu load would be to have each item in the game have an identifying id# hidden from the user , if they don't already. Then for irems that rot, wear out, etc, there would be a value stored for the last recorded amount of wear. If the item is in use, place it in a the proper ordered location in an ordered list by calculated wear-out date or when it reaches the next level of wear, and the time the item entered the list. Then you only have to check the last item in the list to see if it is expired yet, and if the item has disintegrated, drop it from the list, if it has reached a higher wear level, update the item properties and put it at the proper place in the list. When a worn item is removed, it is removed from the list and the amount of wear is added to the item's stats so it can be placed in the proper list location when used again.

I hope like hell this makes the slightest sense and will be helpful if Toady reads this.

Pages: [1] 2