Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 233

Author Topic: Gunnerkrigg Court: Confusion, confusion everywhere!  (Read 232156 times)

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
Re: Gunnerkrigg Court: Confusion, confusion everywhere!
« Reply #2895 on: March 31, 2015, 05:53:07 pm »

I just realized. The reason that she does not have the book is because she's going to be repeating year nine.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: March 31, 2015, 07:54:57 pm »

This seems like the sort of thing you'd tell her in advance so she's not missed the first day of all her other classes. Makes it a real inconvenience for the teachers, if she doesn't still have the materials or they've changed even slightly.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #2897 on: April 01, 2015, 12:13:12 am »

Also she was wearing garish and insufferable makeup, hindering her clear view of the blackboard and flustering the teenage boys! The class really needed that awkward five minute silence to get over that.
Hear hear!

This seems like the sort of thing you'd tell her in advance so she's not missed the first day of all her other classes. Makes it a real inconvenience for the teachers, if she doesn't still have the materials or they've changed even slightly.
But how will the child LEARN from her mistakes? I mean, just because, as a father, you'd disappear out of her life during one of most important life stages while being already estranged before does not mean you CANNOT resort to cruel and unusual punishment! Discipline, we need her disciplined!
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: April 01, 2015, 03:13:31 am »

Okay, this plot is all well and good, but when does Anthony get punched?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: April 01, 2015, 04:04:36 am »

I'm hoping for Jones to show up. Or even Kat's parents. They could shout at him or something. I suspect it'll be Eglamore and things will go even worse, though.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: April 01, 2015, 07:49:00 am »

Anthony is a glorious human being. He has all of the same stoic, cold, and academic traits of Jones put into a negative spiral. I'm fairly certain at this point he doesn't have a damper button. There are several points where he should have been more polite. For instance, if Antimony's make-up did bother him so much that it had to be removed right away, then he probably could have left out saying that everyone was going to sit silently while she cleaned herself up. But frankly, whether he said it or not, everyone was going to do that anyways.

But there are two things that strike me odd about Anthony. First, why he is so defensive about his hand? The only moment where he shows any real emotions is when Antimony points out that it is a plastic mess. Secondly, during the whole disappointment monologue, he's either got his eyes shut or just held tight. I'm wondering if that is a sort of sign of his emotional state. If so, he's probably bothered by the whole grades thing much more than he's outwardly appearing to be.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: April 01, 2015, 09:02:35 am »

Okay, this plot is all well and good, but when does Anthony get punched?
I wonder, does this count as a pay-forward?  I think we'll have to do it one or two more times, just to make sure.  After all, experimental repeatability is a cornerstone of science. :P

But there are two things that strike me odd about Anthony. First, why he is so defensive about his hand? The only moment where he shows any real emotions is when Antimony points out that it is a plastic mess. Secondly, during the whole disappointment monologue, he's either got his eyes shut or just held tight. I'm wondering if that is a sort of sign of his emotional state. If so, he's probably bothered by the whole grades thing much more than he's outwardly appearing to be.
We already know that he tends to both repress any outward sign of emotion and to take things much, much more seriously than they ought to be taken from the flashbacks; if these similar traits in Annie are any indicator of Anthony's behavior under similar stressors (specifically, in the same chapter we learned this about Tony), it's probable that it is indeed a sign of how he feels that he can't quite hold his emotions in check.  Those together make me wonder just how much he's hiding behind his own mask.  I wouldn't be surprised at all to find that whatever state his hand is in underneath that lab glove is directly tied to his efforts to "protect" Surma and Annie from their own fire elemental heritage, and that he brutally quashed her question in order to avoid admitting his actions to her (since, after all, he's thus far failed, and failed so badly that it has cost him his wife and Annie her mother)*.  This is definitely exactly what Annie didn't need from her first meeting with her father ever since her mum died, though. 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 09:04:40 am by Culise »

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: April 01, 2015, 11:27:25 am »

That explains the hand. .O.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: April 01, 2015, 12:27:17 pm »

We already know that he tends to both repress any outward sign of emotion and to take things much, much more seriously than they ought to be taken from the flashbacks.
Oh yeah, that's a good point. I just looked backwards a bit and got to this and the following pages that perfectly illustrate that.
And Donny and Annie sent Tony some stuff, including... a scalpel. And now he's minus one hand. And after that, Annie collapsed and ended up in the hospital.
Now, I really wonder what the hell happened to him.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 12:30:02 pm by MC Dirty »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: April 01, 2015, 12:57:12 pm »

It might be worth noting that that time that Annie collapsed in the hospital at least his right elbow was still ok at that point (or at least in the ethereal realm where Zimmy punched him).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We can still see his right elbow just above the bottom of the page and it certainly doesn't look like a rubber monstrosity to me.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: April 01, 2015, 01:08:18 pm »

Can we? Looks like we've just got a nub of space between the sleeve and the border, and the bright light makes it hard to discern anything.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: April 01, 2015, 01:11:08 pm »

Tilt your screen down to reduce the brightness in the picture and it's a bit easier to tell. It's definitely got the same ridges that are on his other elbow to denote his skin (as opposed to his fake hand). Of course, considering that he bent his arm to put his fake hand in his pocket, it's totally possible that it could just be his hand missing, and not his whole arm (further reinforced by the fact that our author chose the words "your hand" instead of "your arm" subconsciously :P).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: April 03, 2015, 03:22:08 am »

Oh boy, anyone else get the sense Jerkface is, uh, slightly overstepping his bounds here? Unless the Court has decided on a radically different course, Anthony's going to be overruled fast.

When I say overruled I hope by getting punched. Preferably by someone unexpected like Jones or Kat's parents.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: April 03, 2015, 06:40:37 am »

I'm preferring the "fucked anally by a cactus" route myself
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: April 03, 2015, 12:11:11 pm »

Ya'll need anger management classes.
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 233