Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 233

Author Topic: Gunnerkrigg Court: Confusion, confusion everywhere!  (Read 232397 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Gunnerkrigg Court: Confusion, confusion everywhere!
« Reply #2535 on: March 16, 2014, 01:20:33 pm »

I suspect am pretty sure that she's Science.
Fixed that for me. An immutable fixed point in a universe shaped by belief, eternally observing and learning for the sake of curiosity, unmoved by passion? If ever there was a character representing the ideal of pure Science in humanity's consciousness, it's Jones, and it seems pretty reasonable that such a being would exist in this setting. As reasonable as any mythological figure representing some facet of humanity.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: March 16, 2014, 03:13:21 pm »

Fixed that for me. An immutable fixed point in a universe shaped by belief, eternally observing and learning for the sake of curiosity, unmoved by passion? If ever there was a character representing the ideal of pure Science in humanity's consciousness, it's Jones, and it seems pretty reasonable that such a being would exist in this setting. As reasonable as any mythological figure representing some facet of humanity.

I agree completely.
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: March 16, 2014, 03:18:56 pm »

Gunnerkrigg Court: The webcomic where the literal incarnation of Science wrestles with dinosaurs.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2538 on: March 17, 2014, 02:41:40 am »

Well, looks like this'll be mundane, failing massive deus ex machina.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: March 17, 2014, 08:36:05 am »

She looked like a modern human before modern humans came about.  Before the dawn of life.
Maybe she copulated with cave people and she is now related to everyone... and it would explain why humanity looks like her.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: March 17, 2014, 08:44:02 am »

She looked like a modern human before modern humans came about.  Before the dawn of life.
Maybe she copulated with cave people and she is now related to everyone... and it would explain why humanity looks like her.
More likely she's retroactive - she's existed since the beginning of the Earth because science is thought of as an eternal truth that isn't special to humanity. She looks human because people are really bad at internalizing what that really means :P
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: March 17, 2014, 08:48:26 am »

Nothing to say the god who created humans just made the humans look like Jones for shits and giggles.

There wasn't a god. Human belief retroactively created Jones.

With how these things work in Gunnerkrigg, it's highly possible human belief created gods which then created humanity. It's a paradox, yes, but it's been said already they exist: coyote put the stars in the sky, and it wasn't a lie, but they were also there before he did, as said by Jones. It's possible Jones was also created by belief, but I get the feeling she's different from the other beings.

Deus ex machina? How so? A german air raid dropped a bomb on them, it's kinda what happened during the bombing attacks of WW2.

Sex doesn't really seem like it'd be Jone's thing, even if she could, being a impossibly solid, indestructible superbeing.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2542 on: March 17, 2014, 08:57:55 am »

Deus ex machina? How so? A german air raid dropped a bomb on them, it's kinda what happened during the bombing attacks of WW2.

No, what I meant was that unless there is a sudden and massive deus ex machina (which this isn't), Mort's death will not be caused by falling bricks, inaccurate JonesChopsTM, or any other unexpected cause.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 11:36:11 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: March 17, 2014, 11:59:00 am »

'Achewater', uh-huh. Oh, Annie.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: March 17, 2014, 12:01:26 pm »

No, what I meant was that unless there is a sudden and massive deus ex machina (which this isn't), Mort's death will not be caused by falling bricks, inaccurate JonesChopsTM, or any other unexpected cause.

Oh, I get you.

How disappointing.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: March 17, 2014, 06:08:16 pm »

Well crap. Now the incident with Jack makes so much sense and now I'm sad.
It's FEF, not FEOF

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: March 17, 2014, 07:36:56 pm »

Well crap. Now the incident with Jack makes so much sense and now I'm sad.
Which incident?
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: March 17, 2014, 07:39:01 pm »

The one where Annie was like "I don't think I like you very much Jack" and Jack was like "Oh good I was having trouble deciding who I liked but if that's so then I like Zimmy" and then annie was like "wait what?"
It's FEF, not FEOF

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: March 17, 2014, 07:39:23 pm »

Chapter 34: Faraway Morning.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 233