Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 233

Author Topic: Gunnerkrigg Court: Confusion, confusion everywhere!  (Read 234315 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gunnerkrigg Court?
« Reply #345 on: June 01, 2010, 12:33:34 pm »

It would have been obvious from the name.

Anyways, I don't get the whole mary sue thing, it was also mentioned all over the place on the girl genius thread.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 01, 2010, 01:12:26 pm »

I'm slowly starting to get used to this "Mary Sue" bollocks. I still find the word irritating. Stop implying that there is something inherently wrong with wish fulfillment characters! >:[

Also, it seems that for Jones to be a robot, the author must be lying. Well, nothing to worry about. Authors do that all the time.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 01, 2010, 01:13:53 pm »

Also, it seems that for Jones to be a robot, the author must be lying. Well, nothing to worry about. Authors do that all the time.

Authors don't lie on T-shirt designs.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 01, 2010, 01:16:52 pm »

Except when they do! :D

Also, it's not a real T-shirt design until he can show a photo of someone wearing the shirt.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 01, 2010, 02:11:17 pm »

I'm slowly starting to get used to this "Mary Sue" bollocks. I still find the word irritating. Stop implying that there is something inherently wrong with wish fulfillment characters! >:[

Tropes are not bad.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 01, 2010, 02:15:50 pm »

Tropes are not bad.
Its just annoying to see it all over the place. 

Like bad self-insertion fan fiction...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 01, 2010, 02:22:50 pm »

I don't know, in the beginning she didn't seem that Sue-ish to me. Maybe one or two moments, but I remember that in the first three or so chapters there wasn't any danger present ever anyway, it was more like a children's cartoon. After that she started to get involved in things waaaay beyond her control, dropped into some mystical war between two factions and because of her heritage she's got the power to help both sides and the first side she's introduced to turns out to be less moral then she thought yadda yadda, it's not like the basic elements of the plot are anything new and it's not like they're bad elements either. That's why I said Tropes Are Not Bad. The story works when things really pick up the pace and even if she's a Mary Sue, it doesn't detract from it.

EDIT: For me, picking up the pace occurred immediately after the Minotaur story.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 02:25:22 pm by Jackrabbit »

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 01, 2010, 02:54:32 pm »

Also, did anyone get creeped out during the Cherry Tree bit? She had acted like an emotionless doll pretty much up to that point, then out of no where she starts playing around and crying.

I seriously thought the cherry's where drugged or something.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 01, 2010, 02:56:31 pm »

We go through four years of a vast Gunnerkrigg Court world with tons of plot lines. We go back to the cherry tree for a moment, to see Annie bleeding out and the gardener about to shoot Kat because they are in a classified zone of the Court.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 01, 2010, 02:59:37 pm »

Also, did anyone get creeped out during the Cherry Tree bit? She had acted like an emotionless doll pretty much up to that point, then out of no where she starts playing around and crying.

I seriously thought the cherry's where drugged or something.

Character development may seem strange and scary at first, but the story is growing and going through all kinds of changes. It's perfectly natural and an exciting time, when the story discovers much about itself.

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 01, 2010, 03:27:19 pm »

The way it was done was so out of place and jarring, she might as well have had tentacles sprout from out of her back and proclaimed her Dad was actually C'thulu.

Well, no. Considering the way she acted up to that point that would have been a little less weird.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 01, 2010, 03:42:13 pm »

The idea, as I understand it, was that she was acting emotionally distant and detatched because her mother had died, her father had left and she'd been unceremoniously dumped in a new school. Even worse:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All of these things would have been emotionally traumatizing. All of these things together leaves her emotionally traumatized to the point where you'd want a straightjacket on hand. I'm surprised it didn't fuck her up for life, but that wouldn't have made for a good story. When she cries, it's because she can't keep her emotions repressed anymore. I don't think she'd cried once since her mothers death, but don't quote me on that.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 03:43:51 pm by Jackrabbit »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 01, 2010, 03:48:35 pm »

She did cried once. At 'artificial' tree compound, with Kat there, after eating some cherries and stuff.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 01, 2010, 03:49:10 pm »

That was the point I was talking about.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 01, 2010, 04:08:58 pm »

I though the cherries were drugged or something too. And I get your point Jackrabbit, it just would have been better if it wasn't so sudden and jarring (possibly at a better moment too. Makes you wonder why that tree was locked up in the first place).
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 233