Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 233

Author Topic: Gunnerkrigg Court: Confusion, confusion everywhere!  (Read 232191 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Gunnerkrigg Court: Confusion, confusion everywhere!
« Reply #2820 on: March 16, 2015, 09:56:13 am »

Huh.  I...ummm...I suppose there will be no questions about nepotism in his class.  Though, he could have at least said 'hi' to his daughter before ordering her around. Wonder if he (still?) blames Antimony for Surma's death, if he's just gotten even worse about locking his feelings inside since they (Annie and Kat's parents, Eglamore, and Brinnie) were all attending school themselves, or both; they aren't mutually exclusive. 

He didn't have that scar as a kid, though; I suppose it could be something backstory in between, a consequence of having the bone spikes blow up in his face courtesy of Zimmy, or just from something unrelated. 

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: March 16, 2015, 02:59:54 pm »

Didn't notice we had a Gunnerkrigg Court thread. PTW.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: March 16, 2015, 03:06:51 pm »

To be fair to the guy, an experienced teacher knows that acknowledging your relatives is just asking for a headache.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: March 16, 2015, 03:39:40 pm »

Oh hey kiddo, I'm teaching your class now, haha!  Yeah, I haven't seen you for close to a decade and this is how I'm reintroducing myself!  Oh, and now I'm going to humiliate you in front of your classmates. 

I'm starting to understand why Eglamore hates the guy.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2824 on: March 17, 2015, 02:54:11 pm »

To be fair to the guy, an experienced teacher knows that acknowledging your relatives is just asking for a headache.

But that's exactly what he did, and put her down while he was at it.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2825 on: March 17, 2015, 03:09:22 pm »

And, leaving aside that he did seem to do so, there was no obligation to acknowledge her specifically in class, which is the actual problem teachers usually encounter (as opposed to acknowledging her as a relative in any context).  He could always have met up with her at the dorms, or in a common area, or in any other environment where the operant relationship would have been parent-child instead of teacher-student.  It isn't as if he walked onto campus and right into the classroom as a teacher only on the very first day classes began. 
Well, probably.  It's not impossible he might have intentionally arranged things that way. 

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: March 17, 2015, 03:19:44 pm »

It isn't as if he walked onto campus and right into the classroom as a teacher only on the very first day classes began. 

Judging by everyone's expressions I get the feeling that is exactly what happened.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: March 17, 2015, 05:19:58 pm »

He called her "Antimony", not "daughter".
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: March 17, 2015, 09:20:19 pm »

Guys, we're all forgetting that he has zero social skills. Remember how he was in the flashback? He was like a Vulcan. This is probably normal for him.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: March 17, 2015, 11:22:35 pm »

To be fair as a person who has been taught by their parents I can agree with him on the "sir" note (though definitely not on anything else, that's just him being a dick). When you have a parent as a teacher, there are definite times when you can address and talk to your parent, and definite times when you are going to be talking to a person who is otherwise identical to your parent but is not them. In the first situation you would refer to them as "mom","dad", or whatever else your term for your parents is, in the second situation you would refer to them as "ma'm", "sir", or whatever other term of respect you would normally use.

It's like how the kings son might refer to the king in scenarios as his father, but there are other times he has to refer to him as the king, and the father and son are both going to have to act differently depending on how they are referring to each other.

(I'd reiterate the rest of the whole scenario is just him being a dick though.)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: March 18, 2015, 01:55:56 am »

I'd buy the 'it's only good to call a parent sir in a teaching situation' argument a lot better if Mr. Jerkface Carver would actually have met with his daughter or given her any advance notice before this. Which clearly didn't happen.

I'm curious to see what Kat's parents thought of this (or if they're as surprised as everyone else). Hopefully, at some point, someone will punch him. Hard. I'd fund a Kickstarter for this purpose.

(Also, I find calling a teacher 'sir' or 'Mr. Carver' or any sort of honorific a bit weird, but that's just my Finnish mindset.)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 01:58:10 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: March 18, 2015, 01:59:51 am »

Tom should run a donation drive where every $100 donated means that Anthony will get punched.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: March 18, 2015, 06:49:30 am »

Tbh I can understand Annie almost saying father in this context, considering how baffled she looks.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: March 18, 2015, 06:58:11 am »

"And now everyone will sit here in an even more embarrassing silence while they wait for you to return."

Suuuuper dick move.
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: March 18, 2015, 11:48:40 am »

I love the art shift in this.
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 233