Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 233

Author Topic: Gunnerkrigg Court: Confusion, confusion everywhere!  (Read 232206 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Gunnerkrigg Court: Confusion, confusion everywhere!
« Reply #2790 on: December 29, 2014, 09:53:05 am »

The robots' apparent developing thing for sacrfice is simultaneously creepy and sensible.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: December 29, 2014, 05:50:13 pm »

Their name was Robot Paulson. Their name was Robot Paulson. Their name was Robot Paulson.
Love, scriver~

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: December 30, 2014, 12:47:20 am »

Robot is far more of a power in this than I thought. I wonder how much Shadow knows, if anything.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: December 31, 2014, 12:34:37 pm »

Oooooh, chapter end page! Time for random symbolism guessing!

Some things I noticed:
1) Reynardine is still on the court side, while Annie has moved over to the forest one. Wonder how that friendship is going to hold up.
2) Is that robot's silhouette in the whole Jesus posture on top of the mountain for the court robots? Messiah thing?
3) The grass beneath Annie's feet is bare. Fire elemental thing, or sign of things to come?
4) Trees are encroaching on the court bottom left. Conflict of some kind?

Also that doll at Kat's feet seems familiar, can anyone place it from previous comics?

Edit: Dang autocorrect
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 08:31:28 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: December 31, 2014, 01:19:07 pm »

That mort's helmet?

Also, the shadow of a man on the grass behind Annie. Probably indicating her dad. Will he emerge, I wonder?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: December 31, 2014, 03:45:53 pm »

There's also a doll on the Court side of the tree. Maybe the doll that Reynard killed that I can't remember the name of will make a return.

Also, a LOT of alchemy symbols. I'm going to go dig through some stuff to find some of the more philosophical meanings of them and make a list here.

Alright, first, at the top of the tree is Bismuth. There is, of course, the whole "Grown from the Bismuth Crystal" thing about the Court. Aside from that, I can't find much relevant information, other than that it's supposed to be very toxic, which might tie in to the whole Court vs. Forest thing.
On the left branch just under Bismuth is gold. Strangely enough, gold is ruled by the Sun in alchemy, and it's opposite of the sun. I don't recognize the crown symbol opposite gold. I also don't recognize the symbol below gold. The symbol below the crown appears to be a combination of two mercury/quicksilver symbols. This gives another hint towards the doll character, as that's the symbol that was on her.
The moon represents silver, though it might also just be a moon.
Then there's the two triangles. The top, facing up, is the symbol for fire, while the bottom is the symbol for water. Strangely, in the top right corner of the bottom triangle, there's another fire symbol. The top left has no meaning that I can find. The bottom is mercury/quicksilver.
The top corner of the top triangle appears to be a sightly modified version of the symbol for tin. The I or the other symbol I can't find a meaning for.

Also, the doll under the Court side of the tree has a symbol on it. I can't quite tell what it is, but I think it might be a slightly modified version of the sulfur symbol.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 04:05:50 pm by flameboy99 »
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: December 31, 2014, 04:23:05 pm »

Oooooh, chapter end page! Time for random symbolism guessing!

Some things I noticed:
1) Reynardine is still no the court side, while Annie has moved over to the forest one. Wonder how that friendship is going to hold up.
2) Is that robot's silhouette in the wholeness posture on top of the mountain for the court robots? Messiah thing?
3) The grass beneath Annie's feet is bare. Fire elemental thing, or sign of things to come?
4) Trees are encroaching on the court bottom left. Conflict of some kind?

Also that doll at Kat's feet seems familiar, can anyone place it from previous comics?
Doll looks a bit like Diego's camerabots, but wooden instead of metal.  I think it's the shape of the head. 

Let's see.  Lowest on the tree, Antimony Carver is still naturally denoted by Antimony.  Kat is represented by the Mark of the Creator.  Above these, the Sun and Gold (shared symbol, due to the Sun's rulership over that metal) is on Kat's side, while the crown is likely a repetition of its previous motif surrounding Annie due to also being the alchemical symbol for regulus (metallic antimony, or what Pliny termed its "female" form).  Crowning the tree is Bismuth, the Seed of which we've encountered repeatedly and seems to be one of the core mysteries of the Court's formation.  The top triangle bears three Greek letters: Zeta at the top, Gamma to the right, and Iota to the left; Zeta and Gamma are known to us, but Iota is likely representative of a Court party...due to the evolution of the letter "J" and his position with respect to them, perhaps Jack.  The second triangle bears the alchemical symbol for fire to the right, mercury (quicksilver) below, and to the left, I am unsure of the meaning S.M, but I feel it should be familiar.  Perhaps not symbolic, but it's worth noting that the triangles themselves are symbols for fire and water; I say it may not be symbolic because Fire is already included within the Water "containing" triangle.

EDIT: Ah, flameboy already edited in his clarifications.  C'est la vie.

EDIT: Also, speaking of Quicksilver, anyone recall Hettie's sealing symbol?  I called it phosphorus after confusing it for sulfur last time, but I'm not so certain on that now...at any rate, it seems to be similar to that on the doll.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 04:29:38 pm by Culise »

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: December 31, 2014, 04:27:03 pm »

SM could be Samarium. Less likely is the Society of Mary.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: December 31, 2014, 04:41:33 pm »

It could be, but it wasn't discovered until the mid-1800s, well after alchemy was discredited.  Though their notations are themselves myriad and thus subject to some question, that sort of notation seems to be used in many spirits - aqua regia (A.R.), aqua fortis (A.F.), and aqua vitae (S.V.; spiritus vini).  As such, I want to say it's a tincture of something, but I can't think of anything beyond...well, spirit of mercury, of which I have no idea if it even exists and would be of questionable relevance (the Latin for the element mercury being hydrargyrum), and after quite some digging, spirit of Mindererus, which we today call ammonium acetate.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: December 31, 2014, 04:44:28 pm »

The symbol on Hettie is very similar, but it isn't quite the same. The doll doesn't appear to have any lines running perpendicular to the vertical one, and it seems to have an arrow coming off of the vertical line.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: December 31, 2014, 08:03:09 pm »

Culise, is it is ammonium acetate, then the wiki page has a few interesting things:

• Can be used with distilled water to make a protein precipitating reagent.
  • Useful in dialysis as part of a protein purification step to remove contaminants via diffusion.

Namely, that it can interact with proteins. Possible tie-in with Kat, then. Also, while the eye may be an alchemical symbol, has anyone considered that it might also symbolize Jones? Coyote called her a 'wandering eye', after all.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: December 31, 2014, 08:15:19 pm »

In addition, the sigil Kat's parents use to access magic is an eye. An eye symbol is tattooed on both Kat's dad and Eggers to prevent possession.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: December 31, 2014, 08:33:37 pm »

That mort's helmet?
Pretty sure it is, yeah.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: January 02, 2015, 12:55:00 am »

Also, I think Kat's wearing Diego's clothes in the cover, or at least something similar.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: January 30, 2015, 08:32:49 am »

Kill the wabbit!

Also, loving this chapter. Any Coyote chapter is a good chapter.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 233