Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 233

Author Topic: Gunnerkrigg Court: Confusion, confusion everywhere!  (Read 232402 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Gunnerkrigg Court: Confusion, confusion everywhere!
« Reply #2520 on: March 14, 2014, 10:59:27 am »

I wonder why Jones isn't worshiped by people as some War God by this point. I mean, she seem to not give a damn about staying low profile, and also at the Dawn of Man she wrestled a dinosaur
She might have been revered in the stone age actually.  Being able to stop a 1-2 ton slab of tasty meat in its tracks when it is charging?  That has to count for something.

She is too apathetic to care about or seek attention from the looks of it.  But, it wouldn't be too farfetched for some ancient peoples to have gathered around her of their own accord and worship her.  (Then they later get wiped out for some reason or another...)
Though, one wonders if humans have tried to keep her chained/jailed indefinitely... for witchcraft and sorcery... or whatever other reason...

They might have tried, but how would they succeed? She can punch through a concrete wall. She could pinch an chains until they broke. I do wonder how Eglamore could beat her, as he says he would have a fighting chance if they were outside to fight.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 12:56:47 pm by GiglameshDespair »
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: March 14, 2014, 12:09:54 pm »

Also, was she trying to explode herself in order to attempt to kill herself or to test the strength of the bombs?

What in the world led you to that conclusion? It's a bomb/ammunition factory. They're both prone to accidents and enemy bombardment.

Ah, sorry, I just got what you were saying. I had my head stuck in the comic linked above and didn't make the connection to the "feel the might of the bombs" stuff in today's page.
Love, scriver~

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: March 14, 2014, 02:10:08 pm »

Upon seeing the latest comic all I could think of doing was this:
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: March 14, 2014, 02:37:19 pm »

Jones used to be a dick.

"Sorry kid, you're dead. kthxbai."
Jones is an emotionless golem-thing whose only emotions are likely curiosity and ennui.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: March 14, 2014, 02:43:22 pm »

If those are even emotions by themselves, and not just states of being that we view through the lens of creatures that experience emotions all the time.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: March 14, 2014, 03:05:12 pm »

If those are even emotions by themselves, and not just states of being that we view through the lens of creatures that experience emotions all the time.
Even then, Jones can likely be characterized by her curiosity. There's not much evidence I guess, but she did try to tick Annie off to see her reaction, and now she's waiting to see how powerful a WWII bomb is.

She is called the Wandering Eye, after all. I guess learning stuff is kind of her purpose of un-life.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: March 14, 2014, 05:41:03 pm »

I'm surprised that people keep talking about Jones as if she's not alive or that her life is somehow less fulfilling than a normal person's.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: March 14, 2014, 07:33:18 pm »

I suspect that she's Science.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: March 15, 2014, 06:42:05 am »

I'm surprised that people keep talking about Jones as if she's not alive or that her life is somehow less fulfilling than a normal person's.
She literally does not have a soul
Technically, she's right about how she isn't alive.

But I guess she is "alive" in the sense that Robot is.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: March 16, 2014, 12:25:05 am »

Err, do we actually know she doesn't have a soul?  That's one of those tricky things that may or may not be so (depending on whether Jones is accurate in saying she is "not alive", which itself may not be so, and whether emotion is materially linked to having a soul), but at the least, your comparison brings up an interesting point.  It is actually a reasonable presumption, and one that I hold, to claim that the robots possess enough of a "soul" to materially affect (or at least, be affected by) the Ether.  It's a relatively common assumption that the way Zimmy, who is unusually attuned to the Ether, sees Kat is the same as the way robots see Kat, so it's not much of an extension to assume that robots, at the least, have enough of a soul to be affected by the Ether.  Furthermore, assuming the theories of Coyote are true, they may also be able to affect the Ether in turn insofar as they may have created a deity in Kat (or a deity of Kat); remember, the Court robots did not start calling Kat an angel until after Robot began proselytizing, but once he had been for a while, it eventually reached a point where he could convince other robots simply by having them take a single look at Kat.  A counterargument is, of course, that Muut stated outright that he doesn't deal in machinery when Anne found the dead Tick-Tock after falling off the bridge, but then, we've never seen the Tick-Tocks buying into the Cult of Kat that Robot's been espousing; only the descendants of Diego's work seem to follow that particular concept. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 12:27:19 am by Culise »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: March 16, 2014, 03:33:25 am »

Err, do we actually know she doesn't have a soul?  That's one of those tricky things that may or may not be so (depending on whether Jones is accurate in saying she is "not alive", which itself may not be so, and whether emotion is materially linked to having a soul), but at the least, your comparison brings up an interesting point.  It is actually a reasonable presumption, and one that I hold, to claim that the robots possess enough of a "soul" to materially affect (or at least, be affected by) the Ether.  It's a relatively common assumption that the way Zimmy, who is unusually attuned to the Ether, sees Kat is the same as the way robots see Kat, so it's not much of an extension to assume that robots, at the least, have enough of a soul to be affected by the Ether.  Furthermore, assuming the theories of Coyote are true, they may also be able to affect the Ether in turn insofar as they may have created a deity in Kat (or a deity of Kat); remember, the Court robots did not start calling Kat an angel until after Robot began proselytizing, but once he had been for a while, it eventually reached a point where he could convince other robots simply by having them take a single look at Kat.  A counterargument is, of course, that Muut stated outright that he doesn't deal in machinery when Anne found the dead Tick-Tock after falling off the bridge, but then, we've never seen the Tick-Tocks buying into the Cult of Kat that Robot's been espousing; only the descendants of Diego's work seem to follow that particular concept.

The robots are likely made out of material that possess Etheric energy.
Jones is pretty much not even a spirit of controlling an object. She is just basically a force of nature that happened to be sentient.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: March 16, 2014, 04:43:47 am »

Jones is pretty much not even a spirit of controlling an object. She is just basically a force of nature that happened to be sentient.
And also happened to look like a modern day human from the get-go.  (Which in my opinion seems overly convenient.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: March 16, 2014, 04:56:15 am »

And also happened to look like a modern day human from the get-go.  (Which in my opinion seems overly convenient.)
Nothing to say the god who created humans just made the humans look like Jones for shits and giggles.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: March 16, 2014, 06:37:08 am »

Nothing to say the god who created humans just made the humans look like Jones for shits and giggles.

There wasn't a god. Human belief retroactively created Jones.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: March 16, 2014, 11:02:51 am »

There were cavemen before modern humans, so there was evolution in the Gunnerkrigg Universe.  Or I guess people can still somehow subscribe to bullshit 'intelligent design'... actively happening while Jones was wandering around.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 233