Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Suggestion for new Dwarf Activity: Apply water to zone  (Read 7329 times)

Raminagrobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion for new Dwarf Activity: Apply water to zone
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 12:15:53 pm »

I agree that farming should be made harder than it was before, but it shouldn't be frustrating either.

• The bucket idea is the least dwarfy, but also the easiest to program, I guess.
  • I really fancy the channel idea, which is the most elegant solution as far as I am concerned, but channels should make a 2-3 tiles zone along them farmable, in order to allow 4*X or 6*X sized plots.
  • Pumps is the dwarfest way to solve the problem, but it's way too much of a hassle to set up at the beginning of a fortress, and it might kill you just too easily. Plus, it spills mud everywhere and taht disturbs my OCD mind.

So my vote if for channels, but with a wider reach.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 12:22:56 pm »

Um if irrigation at all is needed every farm project its a bit counter-productive i think. Especially since places without running water get suddenly very uninteresting. I can see that irrigation applies to deserts etc. but Rainforests? Swamps? India during Monsun?

A nice solution would be to have soil arable just as it is in any place with enough water aka just the right rain respective drainage values.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 01:12:25 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 12:42:25 pm »

I agree. Occam's Razor says that the simplest solution is best - That being allowing muddying of the ground by the dwarves directly.
That's not Occam's Razor. Look it up.

What I do is dig up to the river, place a floodgate, channel the tile between the floodgate and the river, then flip the switch. Once my 15x10 (5x5 * 6) room is about 1/2 full, I flip the switch back off. Presto.

But, yes, dwarves should be able to use buckets (even though I'd still use this method, most likely).
How about we just go by the KISS principle?

"Keep It Simple, Stupid!"
:D
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Vulkanis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 02:56:25 pm »

Thing is with the above design, you can no longer have 5x5 plots of farms, just 2xX.
Just go with the watering can.

It sorta means that every farm is a bit smaller sure, but what if you simply had dug out the entire underside of a soil cave you intend to use for farming and fill the area below it with water (with a few pillars left behind of course) and you can simply plant on those tiles because the water is still technically touching the soil tile, then you can farm the cavern entirely, it could also serve as an area for a well to.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 11:55:40 am »

Farms should probably take more space anyway. Right now, you need less space to support an entire fort than it takes to make a log cabin for the starting 7.

Vulkanis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 10:45:25 pm »

Farms should probably take more space anyway. Right now, you need less space to support an entire fort than it takes to make a log cabin for the starting 7.

By a bit smaller I mean the area for planting it self, if you were to try and get the same yield as the 40d system you'd need twice the space because of it. So I assume that this is appealing to your idea then?

DoctorZuber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 03:48:18 pm »

Personally I either dump a pond on it (the quick and dirty way) or I pull a tunnel down to where I need it and use the old vault irrigation method. No pumps needed, and can be done pretty quickly if you just do it. I've been getting my farm done and growing before spring is out consistently even the current quirk in the mechanics.

I do agree with the suggestion for allowing more direct pond irrigation without the need for a z-level drop. that only makes sense. And that shouldn't take any real work to change either.
Pages: 1 [2]