Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Standard goblin seige?2010  (Read 3532 times)

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Standard goblin seige?2010
« on: April 10, 2010, 10:37:32 pm »

What comes with the normal goblin siege? I want to test what military I have in arena mode, to see if it is an adequate defense.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 11:08:15 pm by druid91 »
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
Re: Standard goblin seige?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 10:59:43 pm »

a large part of defenses is strategic placement and traps.  making a long corridor filled to the wall with cage traps and weapon traps, with a balliasta opposite the door, you hardly need a military to take down a good number of goblins.  however, your first siege will likely be 10-20 goblins with iron-copper weapons and armor (not entirely sure about how it is in 2010, though)
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
Re: Standard goblin seige?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 11:02:21 pm »

Traditionally you'd get 2 to 5 squads of gobbos.  A couple of these would be led by goblin weaponmasters (elites).  Each squad would consist of probably 5 wrestlers and 3 weapongoblins usually wielding the same weapons.

Don't know if 2010 is the same.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
Re: Standard goblin seige?2010
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 12:11:53 am »

I haven't seen a goblin/kobold yet!

Do they only happen after breaching a cavern? I didn't see any Goblin Civ's during my last embark
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Griz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 12:36:03 am »

I haven't seen a goblin/kobold yet!

Do they only happen after breaching a cavern? I didn't see any Goblin Civ's during my last embark

hitting a cavern just opens you up to attacks from underground. goblins still live aboveground, so if you don't have any they're either extinct or have no land access to your fort.

I had a siege show up with a squad of crossbows and a squad of lashers or something, all with iron/copper/bronze gear (which is now dwarf-sized so you can get lots of usable free stuff from a trap corridor)

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 12:59:50 am »

Yeah, I can vouch for the goblins dieing off, I had their civs die off in two worlds I genned. I heard something about them not having the breed tag anymore. So they don't have kids. They just steal them.
To the dorf pulling the lever, the lever is just a lever. The magma pouring out of the mountainside is just a coincidence. To the dorf designing a pump stack from the magma sea, it is just that: a pump stack. No specific reason for it. It will never do anything.
for reasons best knows to themselves, the elves decided to explode

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 05:34:29 am »

So, what. If you let the goblins steal enough of your kids, eventually the goblin raiding parties are just DWARVEN raiding parties?!

Whisp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 10:30:52 am »

Dworfs solen by gobling, raised by goblins stealing dworfs.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 12:28:33 pm »

i just had like 7 ambushes in a row

if not for my ~10 war elephants, robbed elven caravan shitty weapons, 30 cage traps, terrible ai and good mechs on weapon traps, id be a dead god

now i have a pimpy blood soaked entrance worthy of armorks blessing, and coffins with elephant hero bodies
not a single dwarf lost, elven merchant on the other had werent so lucky

its not exactly a siege, but it was wayy larger than it

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 01:39:30 pm »

So, what. If you let the goblins steal enough of your kids, eventually the goblin raiding parties are just DWARVEN raiding parties?!
I think raiding parties are spawned when they attack, so they consist entirely of goblins.
Though, IIRC, they might have a dawrf leader if they've stolen your dwarves before.

Mr_Bucket_Hat

• Bay Watcher
  • Celtic warrior Chicken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 01:57:33 pm »

I've been in my fortress for five years so far, and I haven't gotten so much as a kobold thief. No antman/batman invasion tunnels, no goblin sieges, no Irate elves, nothing. Just a few racoons, a couple of dear and one dead dwarf because he jumped into a lake to fight a racoon and drowned. Partially because he couldn't do anything more than bruise the racoon because of his training axe.

CptFastbreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 02:13:11 pm »

I think both gobbo presence and equipment heavily depends on worldgen. I have been consistently getting about 3-4 snatchers followed by 2-3 ambush squads from the end of the second year on. Last time I checked, the ambush squad had mostly silver equipment.

Mr_Bucket_Hat

• Bay Watcher
  • Celtic warrior Chicken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 02:17:27 pm »

Nice, but not able to be used as picks.

Well, that may explain it. I don't know how far the Goblins are from me, but Its obviously a trek. To bother making the trip I'd need to have something really worth stealing. Its a bit more boring this way though. My military is non existant because last time I tried to start one only one member turned up. The rest wouldn't do a thing.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 02:14:40 pm »

On the game where I had ambushes, they all came in leather armor with iron weapons.  Groups of 6-8, three to five groups.  I did have a Human Priest leading one of the groups before.  Well, I assume he was the leader, he sort of stood out ;p

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 07:18:53 pm »

Well, I just got my fort up to 80 population, and a siege came within a season.  We've got a bit less than 300000 created wealth.  (More, now that the mid-siege mood is complete.)  I got a single squad of 15 swordsgobs, and a hammergob RIDING A GIANT TOAD.

They killed a dog who attacked them, and a kitten who happened to be outside, while the rest of my fortress ran inside.

Then the giant toad jumped into the outdoor well.  The hammergob drowned.  The giant toad is still sitting there, and most of the swordsgobs are standing around the totally bloodsoaked well.

This might be what you can expect.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.
Pages: [1] 2