Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Is it finally time to stop the elf hate?  (Read 5387 times)

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
Re: Is it finally time to stop the elf hate?
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2010, 11:51:56 pm »

-technical stuff-
Thanks Darius, I'm trying this now. Those damn aquifers won't keep me from striking the earth now! BWAHAHA.

Also, I just watched a racoon run away with an elf's underwear. I assume said elf was wearing it at the time. I was highly amused.
This friends of nature thing of the elves is getting a bit unsettling.

Dwarven WMD

• Bay Watcher
  • Amateur Aspiring Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2010, 11:59:14 pm »

And here comes the crowd of elves singing "We're not gonna take it"...
The Russian throws Steiner into a chair, screaming "I do not care about genetic research!"
The Russian pulls out a M1911!
The Russian screams "I am Viktor Reznov! And I, will, have, my, REVENGE!"
The Russian shoots Steiner between the eyes.
The Russian loses juice.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2010, 12:31:53 am »

You know, in the last version, they sold exotic critters too.  One of the first things I bought in one of my first fortresses was a cougar that I chained up in my mayor's bedroom.

I don't hate them for the tree thing either.  From the stories at least, it seems like they can kind of talk to trees, so it makes sense that they wouldn't like you cutting them down and then burning them.  Dwarves don't exactly like it when one of their friends gets murdered to make an earring either.

I've never had a problem with too much cloth either, but most of my fortresses get abandoned a few years in because I get frustrated by my lack of planning.  They do bring a lot of wooden armor though.  I mean, I kind of appreciate the gesture.  "Here, we asked our tree friends to make wood and turned it into something to protect you."  But it's not like they're replacing my wood usage by doing that.  I wasn't making armor from the wood anyway.

I've never had a quota either.  If they do try that, I won't make any special effort to stay within the limits.  If they get uppity, maybe I'll let them see the real reason I don't need wood armor.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2010, 12:48:07 am »

Should be worth mentioning they often bring five times more wood than I could ever milk out of the dorf and human caravans.

On a treeless map, the elves are basically your salvation.

Do humans bring anything useful anymore? Between dwarves bringing some basic supplys, and elves bringing good stuff like MASSES of wood, enough cloth to last a life time and animals to spare, whats left for humans?

Although if they bought thread in bins I would be happier.
I always used Humans to supplement the metal bars and booze that I would also ask of the dwarven caravans. The humans never brought anything that couldn't also be provided by the elves or dwarves, but they did bring useful things nonetheless.

Also, cougar leather.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2010, 01:44:23 am »

For the first time for me, I have an elf king!

WOO! Now I need to work hard to get up to mountain home status! I IS TO BE WANTING ELF KING IN MY HOME!

docawesome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2010, 02:54:50 am »

I mostly hate them because in any other game they would be the good guys.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2010, 03:19:00 am »

I mostly hate them because in any other game they would be the good guys.

You should of played the dungeon keeper series.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2010, 03:45:14 am »

Is it finally time to stop the elf hate?
No.

Perhaps it's time to stop the hatred.
No.

War bears and war elephants can help us put the past behind us, no?

No, but they can help put the elves beneath us. And by beneath us I mean in shallow graves, and by shallow graves I mean we're killing them and turning them into ☼Elf Bone Bolts☼ to kill more elves with.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Dwarven WMD

• Bay Watcher
  • Amateur Aspiring Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2010, 03:51:01 am »

Is it finally time to stop the elf hate?
No.

Perhaps it's time to stop the hatred.
No.

War bears and war elephants can help us put the past behind us, no?

No, but they can help put the elves beneath us. And by beneath us I mean in shallow graves, and by shallow graves I mean we're killing them and turning them into ☼Elf Bone Bolts☼ to kill more elves with.
Oh the irony.
The Russian throws Steiner into a chair, screaming "I do not care about genetic research!"
The Russian pulls out a M1911!
The Russian screams "I am Viktor Reznov! And I, will, have, my, REVENGE!"
The Russian shoots Steiner between the eyes.
The Russian loses juice.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2010, 04:00:07 am »

It's also fun to sell elf skull totems to the elves when you kill so many of them they give up in their war on your fort.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

docawesome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2010, 04:53:55 am »

Hell, if anything elves get off easy I mean the only reason we keep dwarfs alive is to get more work out of them before they die in a work mishap has anyone even seen a dwarf die of old age?
and it is kind of crap that elves live for so long and are made to live in the forests and expect everyone else to do the same. 

The Eviscerator of Gods

• Bay Watcher
  • Britannia's finest* paladin**
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2010, 05:04:39 am »

People hate elves because dwarves in D&D hate elves.
Vampires hate Werewolves because White Wolf said so.
They're like Crips and Bloodz.

Who will stop the hate.
(someone replace dwarves and elves with Crips and Bloodz plz)
Tom Cruise never had sex w/ his wife that baby's an alien from Xenu.

Naero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2010, 05:32:20 am »

I never really shared that communal hatred of Elves to begin with. I admire their blatant hypocrisy. "Those short bastards are cutting down trees for wood! Quickly, let us kill them with our various wooden war implements!"

Humans, on the other hand, are boring. The only entertainment to be had with them is pissing them off (in as much as you can be pissed off while on fire), because at least their soldiers aren't armed in the ablative equivalent of a wicker chair.
Quote from: Toady One
# 03/17/2009: The broken-armed dwarf understood that he needed to run off to the hospital zone properly, but care never came, because I'm still working on that. Poor little buddy.
#  03/18/2009: He's now surrounded by many skilled medical professionals. They still aren't all that useful, but just their presence must be encouraging for him. Well, I guess that's not true either.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2010, 06:44:04 am »

It's also fun to sell elf skull totems to the elves when you kill so many of them they give up in their war on your fort.

Total agreement.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Wine Biscuits

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2010, 07:22:36 am »

Hi!

Seriously?  Never?  Color me amazed!  The quota stuff has been around since the 2D days!  I don't think there's a population minimum.  Just an elf popping up in the middle of your fort asking for a meeting with whoever's in charge.  That would've been the baron or duke in the 2D days, and I think it's the same in since z-levels were introducted, but it might also have been the mayor.

I know about it being around for a while. But if it is the baron/duke, then that could answer the question - I always play with pop cap around 0 to 8, so I only reach mayor in most fortresses. So, I am probably too insignificant.

AtomicPaperclip: I recommend you gen worlds with a lot of minimum forest tiles and also large regions in general (low variation values for rain, drainage, savagery and height I would assume). Traders bring goods based on what is available around their settlements. So, the larger the elven civ you are in contact with, the more variety you get in your goods. And elves need a lot of forest tiles to spread and are not very good at crossing non-forest areas while settling.

Deathworks

cool, thanks for this, i'll take a look at this next time I gen a world
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6