Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Is it finally time to stop the elf hate?  (Read 5390 times)

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is it finally time to stop the elf hate?
« on: April 10, 2010, 09:38:03 pm »

I mean, they're still hippies who hate you if you use wood or kill anything, but now they bring us bears, elephants, and giant eagles with surprising regularity. In fact, I look forward to the elven caravan more than the dwarven caravan, to the point where I embarked near elves to make sure I'd get one. Perhaps it's time to stop the hatred. War bears and war elephants can help us put the past behind us, no?

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it finally time to stop the elf hate?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 09:41:01 pm »

The hatred for elves has become an ingrained cultural idea that has no bearing on how the elves actually behave. They will be hated for ages to come.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 10:01:21 pm »

The answer is given when you open the mountain to unleash its fiery blood upon those who oppose us. You, too, have angered the gods, and must drink your fill of the holy blood with those forest animals.

In other words, no. You should be dumped in magma for this.

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 10:06:01 pm »

I simply cannot stand their mentality.I detest them because i personally don't like them,not because it's the "cool" or "Dorfy" thing to do.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 10:10:58 pm »

Its because there taller then us.

Vampire Penguin

• Bay Watcher
  • Forced on the bandwagon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 10:11:41 pm »

I never hated them. But I really wish they'd bring more cloth again. Grizzly bears are nice, but they aren't much use when you have dozens.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 10:13:37 pm »

Yeah, I never really hated them either, instead just rolling with it because we're dwarves.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 10:17:37 pm »

Bah! Not only are they blessed with natural immortality, but they waste there lives worshiping trees, rather then producing enough steel bolts to buy out every human caravan regardless of content, and that's not even going into the natural shine that there beards have!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 10:20:15 pm »

Should be worth mentioning they often bring five times more wood than I could ever milk out of the dorf and human caravans.

On a treeless map, the elves are basically your salvation.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 10:20:39 pm »

Wait, I haven't been keeping up with the new version changes, but we can make other war animals that aren't dogs now?

This...  This changes everything.  Please tell me we can ride the bears also.  Bear cavalry... @_@

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 10:23:17 pm »

Should be worth mentioning they often bring five times more wood than I could ever milk out of the dorf and human caravans.

On a treeless map, the elves are basically your salvation.

Do humans bring anything useful anymore? Between dwarves bringing some basic supplys, and elves bringing good stuff like MASSES of wood, enough cloth to last a life time and animals to spare, whats left for humans?

Although if they bought thread in bins I would be happier.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 10:25:46 pm »

This is all an elven ploy to get us to like them, that we may be caught off guard when they attack in defense of their precious "trees."

[/conspiracy]

But yeah. Elves are actually useful. Of course we now have the same situation as previously, where elves are bringing shitloads of one thing. Unfortunately, our barrel supply is only finite, so we can't butcher them without their delicious organs rotting. When it was cloth that they were bringing, I at least could always have work. Buy cloth from elves, make clothing, sell clothing to elves in exchange for more cloth. So we were slightly better off in 40d.

But the humans will sell us barrels of carp blood, so maybe I'll let it slide...
Wait, I haven't been keeping up with the new version changes, but we can make other war animals that aren't dogs now?

This...  This changes everything.  Please tell me we can ride the bears also.  Bear cavalry... @_@

Grizzlies and polar bears. There are others, including DRAGONS, but those are the only bears.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 10:34:58 pm »

This is all an elven ploy to get us to like them, that we may be caught off guard when they attack in defense of their precious "trees."

[/conspiracy]

But yeah. Elves are actually useful. Of course we now have the same situation as previously, where elves are bringing shitloads of one thing. Unfortunately, our barrel supply is only finite, so we can't butcher them without their delicious organs rotting. When it was cloth that they were bringing, I at least could always have work. Buy cloth from elves, make clothing, sell clothing to elves in exchange for more cloth. So we were slightly better off in 40d.

But the humans will sell us barrels of carp blood, so maybe I'll let it slide...

Grizzlies and polar bears. There are others, including DRAGONS, but those are the only bears.

They can be mounted or turned into war creatures (Or both)?

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 10:38:45 pm »

I never hated them. But I really wish they'd bring more cloth again. Grizzly bears are nice, but they aren't much use when you have dozens.

Your problem is not too many grizzly bears, but too few enemies to sick them on.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 10:58:40 pm »

Your problem is not too many grizzly bears, but too few enemies to sick them on.

RELEASE THE WAR DRAGONS!

On another note:
They can be mounted or turned into war creatures (Or both)?

War bears, yes. Bear cavalry, no.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6