Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Is it finally time to stop the elf hate?  (Read 5391 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: Is it finally time to stop the elf hate?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 12:54:11 am »

Hi!

I am also with those who never hated elves and I also openly said so before.

I think it is funny how people only begin to discover the usefulness of elves now: The exotic animals like grizzly bears were also present in 40d and they did a very good job defending my fortress against goblins even back then.

And I don't think just because this is dwarf fortress do we need to revert to Tolkien's ideas of prejudiced societies there.

Deathworks

Lalandrathon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 12:58:23 am »

Do you need a dungeon master to train war bears? Or do you just set the kennels to train war animals until you end up with a war bear?

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 01:16:00 am »

Hey, everything has a use, even Elves.
However, most of these uses involve either magma or rapidly spinning metal objects.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 01:18:00 am »

Once we can war-train the animals they bring, I'll stop hating them. If they bring more large animals now, I definitely don't hate them that much.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 01:30:05 am »

NO!

Kill them and steal their stuff, everybody is happy or dead.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 01:46:01 am »

I've always been fond of the elves and very, very tired of the "pour magma on it" running-into-a-pit-full-of-dead-horses forum joke.  But people are gonna do what people are gonna do, and I guess they must still think it's funny even now, so eh.

I modded my elves so they're all greens and browns.  Fun times!
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2010, 02:01:04 am »

Hi!

Once we can war-train the animals they bring, I'll stop hating them. If they bring more large animals now, I definitely don't hate them that much.

Then I recommend you look at the reports in this thread:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=53846.0

The information is still sketchy, but there seem to be some war trainings found.

Deathworks

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2010, 02:51:33 am »

Basically, elves are awesome. They bring neat stuff, take away gobling clothing and occasionally eat up ambush or siege instead of dwarves.

I have only two real issues:

1) "Cloth overload". If you are giving them good deals, they will stop bringing goods you want and isntead bring dozens of cloth bins. Only way to resolve that is to piss them off.

2) I see Elves as very natruebound because they are immortals and actually will have to endure any enviromental fuck-up for eternity (So they are actually rather smart than just ecohippies; unlike humans and dwarves who could not care less and let their offspring deal with wahtever happens after they die). But, seriously, they use wood themselves and become pissed if you want to trade them something wooden. What the hell?

Sindayven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2010, 03:06:02 am »

Elves are so generous. Every year they come by offering tribute.

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2010, 03:10:57 am »

No, we can't stop hating the elves.  They're really bad at writing wiki articles! http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Category:Elven_Quality_Articles
I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.

Zalminen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2010, 03:59:57 am »

But, seriously, they use wood themselves and become pissed if you want to trade them something wooden. What the hell?
Analogy:
There was a media frenzy some time ago when it was discovered that the goose down pillows made in a certain area were made by plucking live geese.
Naturally people were also angry at stores selling pillows made in that area.

Similarly it's not the wood products that annoy elves. It's the knowledge that the wood comes from trees that were 'brutally killed' with axes.
The elves themselves use a more plant-friendly method (maybe using only trees felled by storms, maybe using wood-singing or similar magic, maybe something else).

It would be nice though if the game offered some way of creating 'elf-friendly' wood, possibly by being able to get immigrant elves if they like you enough...
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2010, 04:20:04 am »

My current fortress on 31.02 is on a peaceful, quiet little island far out to sea. The only race around are the elves, living out their peaceful lives in a small forest retreat. So, as any dwarf would do, I decided to embark into their home and greet them.

My two legendary woodcutters are responsible for turning the once lush forest into a lovely, flat land. Of course, I'm being nice to the elves and giving them their wood back, piece by piece. The rest of my fortress that isn't devoted to food is devoted to carpentry, slowly placing wooden floors that will eventually consume the whole map. Yes. I am paving over an elven forest retreat with the wood of their dead trees.

But, I'm starting to feel these elves are getting back at me in a way.
There is an aquifer here. So, naturally, I can't get down to any stone (I have no idea how to pierce an aquifer, can anyone help? It's a one-layer one, I think) and I'm suffering for it. No stone crafts (the wood is turned into wooden flooring), no metalworking (my military dwarves have wooden shields and wooden training weapons, thank goodness they don't need them.), no mechanisms. The dwarven caravan came and gave me exactly one boulder of gabbro, which I immediately turned into a mechanism for the traction bench.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2010, 06:09:35 am »

Doomshifter: I use pumps method basically it works like this-
Code: [Select]
_pp_
_pp_
+++r
top view
p is pump <- pumping this way
_ is channel
r is ramp
activate pumps and build walls from where they are pumping. Of course one pump is enough but i use few (2-3) because it causes less cancellations and is faster.

and doing this till you have a 3x3 (for one layer) area walled off. Then pump water out of centre tile and voilą.

Fetus4188

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2010, 06:19:48 am »

I've actually never had any elf-conflicts, nor do I use much wood so they don't mind me.  Wood is for pussies anyway.

In .31 they're bringing me several metric carptons of sun berries and grizzly berries, so I like them very much.  Though I wish they would leave the rest of their garbage back in their hovels.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2010, 06:44:36 am »

grizzly berries? huh.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6