Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Version water/magma ideas.  (Read 457 times)

Retro42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Version water/magma ideas.
« on: July 31, 2007, 09:24:00 pm »

One thing I've been thinking about alot is how to build a stable econ without water/magma.

Water:
...What about glacial runoff?  Tap into the mountains ice cap or runoff stream.

...Moisture collection or rain catches?  Think windtraps ala Dune, or maybe just a simple funneled depression leading to a cistern.

Below is a simple design for a rain-catch that would funnel falling rain into the underground cistern for use.

code:

+++++++++++
.._______..
....___....
....._.....
....._.....
._________.
._________.

+ = sky
. = ground
_ = dug cistern

...Underground fungal growths?  WAAAAAY out there but fungi adapted to produce it's own moisturein an isolated environment.

Magma:
...Burnable bodies or other objects for fuel?  Think of forging your weapons using goblin corpses as fuel.

...Large-Scale smelters?  Most modern foundries NEVER cool down (It's too costly to try and re-melt all that metal).  What about centralized (and backups) smelters for each metal.  Instead of a 1:1 (fuel) : (ore) ratio why not make the smelter consume fuel on a semi-regular basis, ie: stoking a boiler.   Besides nothing says Dwarven Stronghold like giants vats of molten metal.

Below is a simple design for an Iron Smelter.  Charcoal/wood/etc is deposited at the [] and burns at a slow but steady rate to keep the Iron Molten.  Dwarves will stockpile ore in the : and it'll melt and be added to the rest.  The " are the output channel toa forge.  Dwarves would simply direct a small flow of molten iron to their forge to work.

code:

(Simplified to 1 z-level)

....=[]=....
...==II==...
...:IIII=...
...=IIII=...
...==II==...
....=="=....
......".....
......".....

. = level ground
= = Wall of smelter
: = Hopper to deposit ore to be melted
[]= Fuel input
" = Molten metal output channel to forge
I = Molten Iron

...Oil or other fuel sources?  Caged Dragons or salamanders....Oil....Alcohol(blasphemy!)  These could all be used to fire a forge.

Just some thoughts, I know these are long-term ideas, but what the hell...can't hurt to open a dialog on the subject.

Retro

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Version water/magma ideas.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 02:42:00 am »

Would lyke something lyke that implemented. The large scale smelter however can easily be 'replaced' by the magma smelter.
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 04:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Retro42:
<STRONG>Caged Dragons or salamanders</STRONG>

Dragons is why I can't wait for Trials of Ascention.  If the dragon PCs can't heat up forges with their firey breath I'll rant on the forums (of course, that's after I and several friends conquer the TA world by force--an adult dragon is strong enough to best an entire city of non-dragon PCs, the problem is getting there).

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 04:50:00 pm »

It would be interesting to have the a fort with molten metal channels (maybe acting like magma channels, except orangish liquid?), bringing the metal from the foundry to all of the forges in the fort. I would imagine a fort with molten iron channeled all around, the channels even going across paths, bridged with retractable, steel bridges, would definately give human traders the sense of being in a flourishing industrial center :P