Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

In what format should the reports in DFFD be?

MS Excel 2007
- 0 (0%)
MS Excel, older than 2007
- 3 (37.5%)
PDF
- 3 (37.5%)
Other (specify)
- 2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: [COMMUNITY] Helmfist  (Read 13215 times)

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [COMMUNITY] Helmfist
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2010, 03:56:39 pm »

You're a she-dwarf, too? In b4 military catastrophe when those cycles line up ::)

Tiphareth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2010, 04:03:29 pm »

A baby shield is the best shield?

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2010, 09:16:28 am »

Just posting to note that I'm still alive as well as the community fort. Just so darn busy to actually play (uni + work). I hope I will have some time to play either this evening or tomorrow.

On a side note, I finally figured out good "punishment" which doesn't include damage (hopefully) nor piercing organs. I'm going to build small, perhaps 3*3 room somewhere, put one stockpile of booze and one stockpile of food there (both probably going to be 1*3 stockpiles) and one bed. Designatining it to burrow and assigning the dwarf target of punishment to it, then lock it up for certain time. No refilling of stockpiles, no activity for the prisoner, just standing there and waiting. The only drawback could be drop of mood, though I try to avoid making melancholy or berserk dwarves.

Sooo.... how long should the Zanziik be locked there? I was thinking one season, though I'm open for opinions. The only limit would be the supplies of stockpiles. We don't want to starve Zanziik to death (or do we?  ;))

I at the beginning thought of not putting bed there, but I'm not that cruel (yet). Later I think I'm going to build second room, with only smallish (1*3 or 1*2 tiles) food stockpile, no furniture and well for source of drink.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2010, 02:35:30 pm »

Until the rats nibble at his toes!
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Tiphareth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2010, 04:35:58 pm »

Why not just assign him crappy lodgings? Let the dwarf who offends you be miserable and poor for the rest of his life? (or until you forget about it)

Alternatively, lock him up for a season. Noone suffered any FUN afterall.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2010, 02:36:35 am »

could you tell us about the Pantheon? Id like to have either the Butcher/Tanner or the Carpenter depending on which one best follows Kenis and I would like him to fairly zealous so Mosus would be my preference. This fort needs some religion!

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2010, 12:40:39 pm »

Why not just assign him crappy lodgings? Let the dwarf who offends you be miserable and poor for the rest of his life? (or until you forget about it)

Alternatively, lock him up for a season. Noone suffered any FUN afterall.

Crappy loggings = some minor bad thoughts which in long terms doesn't affect anything. And I don't want to give long lasting punishment, I prefer short term punishment with some potiential of FUN.

And this punishment is actually locking up, just I don't want to anyone to die to hunger or thirsty yet, so that's why I calculated that the food and booze should be enough. Perhaps later the punishment will turn to lock up without food and/or booze...

Oh, and some heavy updates coming, had some fine gaming session earlier today.

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2010, 12:51:34 pm »

could you tell us about the Pantheon? Id like to have either the Butcher/Tanner or the Carpenter depending on which one best follows Kenis and I would like him to fairly zealous so Mosus would be my preference. This fort needs some religion!

"Kenis is a deity of The Page of Air. Kenis most often takes the form of dwarf and is associated with consolation."

I hope that's something you meant...

Oh, and before you rush up the decision, there was new migrant wave. I'm working at posting all the reports and updates as well as pictures and whatnot. Just hope that the site keeps running smoothly so I can actually do that... ;)

EDIT: That's actually something I could post to OP as well. The description of different gods worshiped in the fortress. But that will have to wait for all the report updates, picture updates and table of relations I'm going to post.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 01:01:15 pm by Kipi »

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2010, 01:34:11 pm »

Flooding report, 2nd Limestone, year 1051
Written by Kipi Twisturns at the 2nd of Limestone, year 1051.

Zanziik came to see me this morning. She admitted that she were supposed to take care of the lever controlling the flood from river to farming sector. After questioning the reasons why the responsibility was neglected she admitted that her memory is not one of the best and that she was distracted by ISGC and his muscles. Now, even though I'm happy that she came to me herself and admitted it, I just can not let this slip past without punishment. But I'm not without symphathy either, so I decided that the punishment shall be one season in solitary.

To fulfill the punishment I ordered one small room to be build with small stockpiles to food and drink. The solitary will begin when the room is ready.

Food report, year 1051
Written by Kipi Twisturns at the 9th of Limestone, year 1051.

Finally the water level in our food production floor has got low enough to both farm to be build and the construction of butchery. I hope the shortage of food is soon just a bad memory

Fortress development update, year 1051
Written by Kipi Twisturns at the 17th of Limestone, year 1051.

I have ordered the housing section of the fortress to be dug out. The original plans were that the bedrooms would be below the working area, but that is currently impossible due the water in the stairwells. The level of the water is stable now, but it's too high for any mining to be done there. We have to find a way to deal with that later, but now we have more important things to worry about.

After all these months the farm is finally ready and Sigvardr is beginning the planting as I write this. This is the most joyous day in the history of Helmfist!

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2010, 01:36:38 pm »

Wave of immigrants has arrived!
Written by Kipi Twisturns at the 21st of Limestone, year 1051.

The migrants that came earlier were correct, more people were journeying towards Helmfist. And today they arrived at the entrance, asking to be allowed to join our community. And there is no reason to not allow them in. But before they were let in I interviewed each one of them for their backgrounds, relations and skills. When everything is finally setting down we don't need any chaos here. I don't need nor want any chaos here.

The interview was quickly done. It turned out that there was this one fellow, called Saintlance, who was high master mason and has some skills in metalsmithing as well. That's good, both skills are needed. For now I'm going to put his masonry skills in use, and later perhaps move him to work with metals. Masons are easy to find, not ones with skills with metals.

With the group came also one dwarf, Rulerglaze I think was his name, who is very talented in butchering. That is good, as no meat should be wasted at this moment. I talked to Rockmob, who has been doing bot butchering and tanning, if he was interested in concentrating to tanning only and leaving the butchery to new guy. He said it would be fine to him, though it will meen less work to do to him.

There was also one stonecrafter among the migrants. Now, I don't think we need two crafters in a long run, but at this point we need everything we can for trading some supplies, so at this point I'm going to order another crafting workshop to be build, and appoint this new fellow to work with Fountainweight.

Lastly, for "useful" dwarves, there was this lad called Appearmetla, who has some knowledge of fighting. In fact, she was the one who took the role of guard of the migrant group. Now, we don't have any military set yet, heck we don't even have barracks, but setting one will be matter soon enough, so I must begin to check out potential soldiers immediately. So far the role of leader of the military is already given to Zanziik for her knowledge of axes. I had already promised that position to her when we arrived here, and there is no way I'm going to break that promise, even when taking in account the recent flooding accident. There is also this lad, Tiphareth Paddleponder, who knows her way with maces, armor and defending. So she could be third to be appointed in military. Now there is a interesting thing, all three of us who has shown some promises in combat are all female. Not saying it's bad thing, just a interesting thing I noticed.

Rest of the migrants, well, the didn't possess any skills we need right now. But hauling, that's something everybody can always do, and that's something which is always needed to be done. So for now they will perform hauling tasks, which in turn should help to keep industries running more smoothly. None has shown any disagreement thus far, so I think that one is settled.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2010, 01:39:20 pm »

Fortress development update, year 1051
Written by Kipi Twisturns at the 25th of Limestone, year 1051.

The mining in bedroom level has progressed well. Five small and three big bedrooms are already ready for furniture and then to be assigned. When completed there will be total of 29 rooms, five bigger ones and 24 smaller ones. I also made some replanning, and instructed sets of dining rooms and offices to be mined west side of the stairways. I know that I need one office to store all the documents and to be able to work in peace, and I think that Haika, Urist Imiknorris and Nuker W would be happy to have one too. I also decided that each one of us should have own personal dining room as well so that we can have our meals when we want, even allowing to work while eating. That wouldn't be possible in main dininghall.

I also checked the reports of what others have been able to discover while mining. There is one big vein of Garnierite, which is known to contain nickel. There was also small cluster of platinum discovered, which is good thing indeed. Platinum can be very valuable as a trading goods material. I also heard that platinum hammers can be very deadly due the weight, so that should be another use for the nuggets. I just hope there is more of it, as the cluster was relatively small and not even close to supply the needs I can think for it.

Rest of the findings are not that promising, just olivine and chert. In fact, it seems that the stairway is more or less in the middle of the layer transformation, so most of the west side so far has been olivine, while the east side is mostly chert. No gems so far except the two small clusters of Rose Quartzes discovered while clearing the stairway section.

And the picture of new bedroom level (no designations of dining/study rooms in this pic, sorry!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tiphareth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2010, 12:07:43 am »

Dear Diary, I have not updated you in a long time. Following the utterly baseless accusation of boot stealing that I were faced in Mountainhome. They were gifts!
Naturally the high hammerdwarf would have none of it. So I did what all enterprising dwarves do when they got a hammering to look forward to. I signed up for a expedition,
and by signing up I mean I ran for my life, and with expedition I mean a ragtag group of adventure seeking peasants.
We took the scenic route around the wilderness I believe, it sure seemed like we went in circles often, until we happened upon this quaint little expedition lead by
Kipi Twisturns. He looks like an okay fellow, and we were down to our last pint. So, we've joined them for now.

/Tiphareth Paddleponder

Dear diary, it has been some days since I last wrote, apparantly this fort is plagued with problems, the squad leader Zanziik has apparantly been causing some mischief,
probably to try to claim the fort as her own, she was caught, which is perfect. I've signed up for her squad, luckily I do know how to use a mace. Now to gain her trust
so I can get into her fort taking schemes, this could be my chance to get a unlimited supply of boots. Mmmm, supple cougar cub high leather boots, with nickel silver
and topazolite inlays. I'm definitely here to stay!

/Tiphareth Paddleponder

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2010, 12:31:09 pm »

Nice Tiphareth!
Did you perhaps used enter to change lines in text? Made the post look a tad wonky...

Okay, some more updates coming up. As a teaser, Helmfist had it's very first mood...  ;)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2010, 12:39:16 pm »

Meeting with Saintlance and Woundrope
Written by Kipi Twisturns at the 26th of Limestone, year 1051.

Saintlance and Woundrope came to see me this morning with a request. As they are married, they asked if there would be a possibility to have a bit bigger bedroom for them to share. Now, I think that's quite possible. In fact, I should probably discuss this with Haika so that she assigns two beds instead one to one of the bigger rooms. Perhaps there should be seperate district to contain bigger houses for families like Saintlance and Woundrope.

Fortress development update
Written by Kipi Twisturns at the 20th of Sandstone, year 1051.

The living quarters are now completed, though only officies and personal dining rooms have any furniture yet. But that's a problem which can be soon solved, as there is plenty of doors and beds in the stockpiles. I also decided to agree with the request of Saintlance and Woundrope, and now there is two bigger rooms which bot can hold single family. Yes, only one is needed right now, but at least we have one ready for the next marriage.

Communal dining room is also ready to be used. There was a shortage of chairs when furnitures were assigned, so we were able to point only three chairs there, but that's second problem which should be fixed in no time. The point is, there is dining room now. No eating in dirt.

From the geological side, the living quarters were actually richer than what I wrote in update of 25th Limestone. Huge source of bauxite was found as well as several clusters of gems. No veins of ore though, but we can live with that. So far what we have discovered there should be plenty to be found in lower levels, we just need to mine it all out.

For future plans, next object is to get all the bedrooms furnitured. After that, I think we need hospital room set up. ISGC has been bugging me about this, as he will not be able to take care of any injures without proper place to work. I agree with this, and it has top priority now. After hospital is set up it's time for think our safety and form some kind of military. I earlier wrote down some formidable candidates to be drafted in military, we just need barracks built. Lastly, Gaxkang has been asking when he is able to get some engraving to do, as his skills would otherwise be in no use. That's true. When dining rooms are fully furnitured, there is a lot of engraving to be done. That includes communal dining hall, personal rooms of administration, upcoming barracks and hospital. In that order.

Lastly, I had a little surprise for the fortress planned out, and Haika agreed to organize it. Every bedroom will be furnitured with both cabinet and coffer, number of both equallying the number of residents in that particular room. Also, the admins will get their own set furniture, depending on the needs of the tasks they perform. This should be considered as an official reward for the hard working everyone has been done to get everything running smoothly.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2010, 01:08:32 pm »

Report about Pageluster
Written by Kipi Twisturns at the 22nd of Sandstone, year 1051.

I'm a bit worried about fellow named Pageluster here. He was one of those who came with last immigrant wave, and he has been acting a bit strangely last couple of days. He has not been much with others, usually spending his time alone doing some drawings. When asked what he was doing or why he has been staying alone, he has never answered, just asked that everyone would leave him alone.

Well, today he slipped a note to my office. Never came to see me directly, just slipped small piece of paper under my door. In the note he asked clothier workshop, as he does not have required skills to do that. For reasons he stated that he had "some great ideas which requires clothier workshop". Usually I wouldn't comply with this rediculous request, but I'm a bit curious of what this all means. So I ordered to construction of the workshop, though I hope it this all is worth of something.

Report update about Pageluster
Written by Kipi Twisturns at the 25th of Sandstone, year 1051.

The workshop is ready, and Pageluster has already claimed it. He is not letting anyone in, only communicating with notes he is haning outside. Now, the demands he made are somewhat absurd: stack of clothes and some wood. The wood is not a problem, we have plenty of that, but we have no cloth around here. He refuses to come out to eat or drink before his work is done, so there is nothing we can do. He demands cloth, and from some way we must provide him with some. Hopefully caravan arrives soon with some cloth.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7