Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

In what format should the reports in DFFD be?

MS Excel 2007
- 0 (0%)
MS Excel, older than 2007
- 3 (37.5%)
PDF
- 3 (37.5%)
Other (specify)
- 2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: [COMMUNITY] Helmfist  (Read 13210 times)

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [COMMUNITY] Helmfist
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 07:40:08 pm »

Thinking on the logical side,i would like to see this fort last a while.so,i too change my vote to 5 z levels.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 07:10:47 am »

wow, 5 z levels is really rather boring. I say dig down to the first cavern, find a spot of wall off and defend, farm in the mud that's there, and bring a tunnel ramp down for trading.

The first cavern is usually fairly easy to deal with, and there should be 2 more caverns before you hit anything HFS related.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 08:57:04 am »

The only problem with farming in caverns is that, at least in my experience, the muddy soil is very clustered down there, so either I need to build small irrigation system (pumps) to muddy bigger area or build farms down to the same level as where the water is, resulting irrigation again.

But yes, I thought first cavern as well, and we have one axedwarf in our ranks at the moment. Though One of my other forts the first cavern contained four trolls, all of them assaulting my group of seven dwarves immediately when I got passage there. Result: 3 dead trolls, 6 dead dwarves, one severely injured dwarf who died before the immigrant wave arrived...

So the votes went:
5z: 5 votes
Cavern: 1 vote (plus my vote, though I'm not yet fully decided)

I think it's around five floors, tap the cavern (if it's close enough) and put one of warpigs to guard the entrance to the cavern. If it turns out to be safe, I think I will move farming down there to get it as far away from ground as possible at this point.

Though there is one "irritating" aspect in tapping cavern. It results the same as finding underground river in 40d, and I just hate it when at early stage all soil layers get littered with trees and bushes.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 10:13:13 am »

Report update of Hematite, year 1051
Written by Kipi Twisturns at the 1st of Malachite, year 1051.

The votes went 6-1 to dig only small distance down to establish the fortress. We never know what may be found down there, so no rushing. The only one who was against this decision was Haika Veiledships, though she decided to accept the decision of majority.

The digging down was interesting feat. We went through layers of ore, gems and more or less precious stone, ending to a layer which ended up looking very psychedelic. Blue, gey, brown and green stone combined with red, white and magenta gem clusters here and there. This was decided to be the layer where the initial fortress shall be.

Zanziik is still working on the irrigation system to muddy the soil for farming. So far she has completed the floodgates between the farm and river with links to lever. This was done during spring, as I remember. Also, the five floodgates has been built up to stop the water from flooding other parts of the fortress. Next should be to link those floodgates to another lever, and after that the system needs some way to drain the excess water from the farming area. If we can not find any specific solution to that, we can always just release the water from the farming area to the rest of the fortress, though that means at least minor flooding and muddy soil outside the farms.

While Zanziik has been working on irrigation, the project of mining the fortress has made some progress. We have big enough furniture storage, meeting area has been clear and only needs furniture to be complete, and the industry areas for carpentry, masonry and mechanics are nearly ready. The storage for wood has also been planned to be connected in carpentry industry. Next I think we need some housing and perhaps place for crafts.

Picture of stage of fortress floor:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 12:28:40 pm by Kipi »

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 12:43:23 pm »

Report update of Malachite, year 1051
Written by Kipi Twisturns at the 2nd of Galena, year 1051.

It's late summer and we have been living here nearly two seasons. Five months behind us already, and we don't have any proper industry running yet. Working with irrigation is almost finished, the farm is filling up with water as I'm writing this. We had to abandon the idea of draining system, as it would have taken too much time to implement it, and we need the farms running soon.

We got the first immigrant wave yesterday. Six dwarves came to knock the gates, though not literally speaking as we have no actual gates yet. Six more dwarves to help getting things ready and running. I think Zanziik especially will be relieved, as now I hope we can remove some burden from her shoulders in terms of running all three industries. But we have to see what these new ones can do.

Six new dwarves to claim from, I'll update the OP for them

EDIT: Zanziik, which profession do you want to concentrate from this point on? Carpentry, masonry, woodcutting or mechanics? You can choose one or two of those professions to keep, others will be given to immigrants.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 01:15:01 pm by Kipi »

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2010, 01:14:32 pm »

I'll take one [you havint put them up yet so I cant say the name], and if possible can you make them the sheiff? Thanks alot if you can, if not ill just take a mason dwarf.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2010, 01:22:56 pm »

OP updated with info about the new dwarves as well as list of jobs I hope gets taken.

I will also update pictures of the fortress in the OP, as I'm not playing the fort today anymore, as I'm waiting for some possible claims as well as Zanziik's answer.

Oh, and nuker w, the sheriff is okay. Just tell me which one you want. And do you want other jobs to be turned on, as I remember sheriff being able to do other tasks as well

EDIT: As I'm going to turn all the skill lists of each dwarf to screenshot format, I need a know which ones are required. So vote on the poll. The poll is going to end tomorrow around the same time as now.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 01:38:20 pm by Kipi »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2010, 01:42:49 pm »

For the poll, I would recommend military skills for soldiers and labor skills for civilians.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2010, 01:49:21 pm »

For the poll, I would recommend military skills for soldiers and labor skills for civilians.
Good idea, didn't think it that way.
But how about new immigrants?

Edit: Added you suggestion to poll

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2010, 01:55:21 pm »

Ill take Meng Armoriron and give him another "proper" job, what ever one his skills point to, if none i'll just do mason

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2010, 02:19:58 pm »

Done. Added a mason as your "secondary" job, though if you want I can always move you to military side when I'm setting it up.

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2010, 02:46:51 pm »

Kipi, I'd like to focus on masonry until you get a military started, and if it's alright, from then on focus on my axedwarveship. If it'd be easier to have me focus on another skill, I really have no preference aside from the eventual military dwarf.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2010, 02:48:48 pm »

Kipi, I'd like to focus on masonry until you get a military started, and if it's alright, from then on focus on my axedwarveship. If it'd be easier to have me focus on another skill, I really have no preference aside from the eventual military dwarf.

Masonry is fine to me. I was actually kinda hooping that you would make the comment after the masonry, as I in a way planned that dwarf to be part of the military  ;)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2010, 02:37:32 pm »

Flooding!
Written by Kipi Twisturns at the 11nd of Galena, year 1051.

Somebody forgot to do his or her job when immigrants came. When it was time to drain the farming section from water, we noticed that somebody had forgotten to close the floodgate between the river and farm!

The farm was half full of water, which after releasing spread everywhere. The farming floor is now partially muddied due all those extra waters, and the bottom of the staircase is now forming two small bonds of water. Luckily the industry floor survived, as the water fell right past through it in staircase. Had to admit, though, that it formed nice small waterfall there for a short period of time. Still, it will take some time before we are able to empty those two small ponds down there, and I fear the mud will stay forever.

Partially due to this event I appointed Nuker w Armoriron as new sheriff of this community. First task, besides his job as second mason, is to find out who is guilty for the flooding.
Now, as the management of this community comes more and more complex due all the problems, incoming immigrants (the recent arrivals hinted more to be coming) and scheduling I have decided to form a leader hierarchy, where couple of selected dwarves get the responsibility of one field. Besides Armoriron taking the responsibility of order, I have appointed Haika Veilships as new manager of the fortress. Her responsibility for now is to manage the work schedules and orders, and to make sure every industry is running when needed. Also, I have appointed ISGC Castlewall as new head of medical team. Now, I hope we don't need his services as doctor, not saying that he is bad one at all, but the signs are we are going to have some serious injuries sooner or later. Or what could be taken from the recent flooding accident?
The last one for now is Urist Imiknorris Inktest. I decided to make him as our bookkeeper, as he seems to have good head with numbers. For example, when we were digging down the staircase, he was able to count all the gems in walls with just a quick glance, and even remember the number for long period of time. Right now the operation of keeping track of all the stuff here is not a problem, but I suspect it will be soon.

Aaaaand....
Pictures of the flood:

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2010, 03:14:40 pm »

Report update of Galena, year 1051
Written by Kipi Twisturns at the 1st of Limestone, year 1051.

Sheriff Armoriron has not yet found out who was guilty for the flooding at the beginning of this month. Everybody claims they weren't responsible of the levers and none of them claims knowing who could have been. It's getting frustrating, and I promise some major punishment to whoever it was.

We are trying to recover the flood, which was worse than initially seemed. There were so much water that the farming sector is still in no use of farming, and the brewery and construction site of butchery are also submerged. Hopefully the water will get low enough soon, as there are going to be problems otherwise.

The real problem we have at this moment is the reducing supplies of food. We have only few pants left, somewhere between 15 and 35 plants. No more plants before farming, and we can't even get meat as the butchery is submerged. Now, I already ordered the slaughter of dog and those two hogs we embarked with as soon as the butchery is in usable condition. We need some food and fast.
Other source for food could trading caravan, if and when it arrives. Trading depot is under construction, but that alone doesn't help us, as we need something to trade. Thus, after discussion with Haika we decided to order Fountainweight to start producing some basic rock crafts. Hopefully the caravan comes soon...

Speaking of industries, we have finally got the masonries operating as well as carpentry. Stockpiles are full of wood, well as full as all those loose stones would permit.

Pictures of the fortress coming to OP tomorrow...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7