Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Genetics  (Read 649 times)

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Genetics
« on: November 18, 2006, 12:14:00 pm »

Is there any genetic behavior being passed down from parents to children?  This could be fleshed out more during the Family/Relationships Arc.  It would be cool if all monsters had families too.  The son of a Cyclops that you killed could avenge his death and come after you.

Also I would like it if there was a little more notification when a mother is pregnant, when she miscarriages, and when she gives birth.  Maybe just a flasher along the bottom.

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
Re: Genetics
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 05:28:00 pm »

Giving birth is announced, I know.

What kinds of things would dwarves inherit from parents?  Until the game describes them, they're functionally identical except for skills and stats, and those are learned (and thus not transfered by genetics).  You could make the case that the not-quite-normal abilities of a legendary crafter might make it in some small part to his or her child.  More likely, I think a dwarven child should grow up learning the skills of his parents, possibly gaining Novice in the both his parents' best skills upon becoming an adult.

"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 05:32:00 pm »

Those are some good ideas - to have novice skill in things the parents already learned.  

quote:
What kinds of things would dwarves inherit from parents?

I was referring to the preferences of the parents when you 'v'eiw them.  Like if they prefer working indoors, preferring certain colors, don't like rain, etc.  It could be possible, maybe, to breed a the perfect Dwarf who works under any conditions.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 06:19:00 pm »

From the dev notes:

Hereditary Traits:  It would be fairly trivial to introduce "genes" that are passed down and influence traits. In this way, there can be different blood lines and so on -- the hereditary traits might include supernatural powers.

20,000leeks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 08:31:00 pm »

This could be cool or uncool depending on what gets passed down - and also how the whole bloodline thing is handled. Skills, unless the parent is legendary (thus indicating some kind of natural talent) probably shouldn't be, that's a little too Lamarckian. But traits, if/when they get implemented, stuff like appearance or temperament, and the likes and dislikes that are already in place... that kind of minor thing would be interesting. Likewise, if the child felt some loyalty to the parents - elephants kill the child's father, and in his free time he starts practising with a crossbow over and over and over until eventually he's good enough to go out and take those damn elephants down. Or something similar.

dav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 02:12:00 pm »

Anyone can become legendary with enough practice.  My original miners are legendary within three seasons.  My mason is legendary within the first two or three years.  Given that dwarves live long natural lives, it's not just talent + luck that makes you legendary.  

I suppose this could be "fixed" with a new level, but shouldn't pass down anything to kids.  There might be a preference to have a similar job, or an affinity for axes if Dad's an axedwarf or something, but that's not the same thing as being born a natural armor user.

Genuine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 10:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by 20,000leeks:
<STRONG>But traits, if/when they get implemented, stuff like appearance or temperament, and the likes and dislikes that are already in place... that kind of minor thing would be interesting. Likewise, if the child felt some loyalty to the parents - elephants kill the child's father, and in his free time he starts practising with a crossbow over and over and over until eventually he's good enough to go out and take those damn elephants down. Or something similar.</STRONG>

I agree with your whole post, in that dwarves shouldn't just be 'born' with legendary skills or whatnot. However, sometime back I was wondering where, since the child spends much of their lives with their mother, if they might gradually pick up on the trait of the parent just from having watched or been around them. This might take place while the child is standing next to a workshop where the parent is working, or whatnot.  This would also help the player by making it so the child does not simply grow into another relatively skill-less peasant, and at least develops one minor 'novice' or 'regular' skill.

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 02:53:00 pm »

quote:
good enough to go out and take those damn elephants down

I thought elephants could just stop crossbow bolts in midair like Neo in the Matrix?

"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA

Dumatoin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 03:05:00 am »

Just please don't make it like the Diggles.

Great game, but the genetics there made every single dwarf as grumpy as hell. game breaker there.

Seems the grumpy dwarves could pass down their grumpy genes.

*frowns*  :(   :mad: