Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Lovecraft, an experimental community fort. Submit a suggestion today!  (Read 9233 times)

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had an awesome idea recently, and I think it's time to put it to the test.

The idea is a community fort of sorts. Feel free to request dorfings, but that's not all - although I will be in the command chair, I will be listening heavily for suggestions on how to run the thing. I probably won't do anything stupid like embark with only ropes or build a cave-in-the-whole-fortress lever in gremlin-infested territory, mind you.

So, to kick off, before I can even embark there are some things I need to know from y'all.
This world I've genned is mostly human-dominated, with humans covering something like 2/3 or more of the world. There are a couple dwarven civs in the mountains near the north of the world, elves off somewhere in I think the northeast, and one little mountain range that still has goblins. It's a medium island (which is this awesome continent with two gigantic arms to the south that ALMOST touch each other), so pretty much I can probably (?) find any sort of features we want.
So, what do we want? Sand? Flux? Forests? Embark on an elf village? Embark on a dark tower that's been taken over by dwarves?
Also, what do we want to take for embark? I probably won't deviate too much from default here, but if you want me to replace all the meat with insect brains, I'd be only happy to.
What skills?
And most importantly - what should we call the group and the fortress?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 03:41:37 pm by Frogwarrior »
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2010 Experimental Community Fort!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 08:37:13 pm »

Name group: The Insanity of Monsters
Name Fortress: Lovecraft

Trade all meats for insect brains. Different sorts, we need variety (and free barrels).

Embark with two miners, woodcutter, carpenter, mason, doctor, Farmer/Cook/Brewer.

Make sure to get at least one of every dwarven alcohol except Wine, stock up on plump helmets and plump helmet spawn. Remove rock nuts and dimple cups from embark. Bring one male and one female dog.

Name the mason after Doomy ;3
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 09:04:45 pm »

I agree with Doom's embark setup. Give me the doctor, name him "Dr. Admin", and make him the recordkeeper, arsenal dwarf, manager, and chief medical dwarf.

EDIT: Could you find a site with sand, sandstone, marble, and granite layers?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 10:29:26 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 09:45:54 pm »

embark on a human civ and assassinate the lawgiver/warlord/general/high valley (I actually had a civ with all of these, killed each one) then steal their buildings and milk their women
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 09:51:24 pm »

What is a high valley? I found a high goal once in a human temple, I felt like I had achieved a good score.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 09:55:27 pm »

I'll snag a dorf, don't really care what profession. Also in agreeance with Doomshifter.

JagoBallium

• Bay Watcher
  • Bringer of the Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 12:26:24 am »

If I could I'd like to be dorf'd. A miner if possible but any profession is fine. I am also agreed with Doomshifter on the fort.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 02:27:23 am »

I agree with Doom's embark setup.
Also in agreeance with Doomshifter.
I am also agreed with Doomshifter on the fort.

Am I good, or am I good?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 03:34:00 am »

Am I good, or am I good?
You're just the only person in here who dosen't have fun when the entire fortress breaks down. In fact, you're good enough at it to prevent it from happening at all.
Why aren't you a mayor of some town or something?

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 04:09:15 am »

Am I good, or am I good?
You're just the only person in here who dosen't have fun when the entire fortress breaks down. In fact, you're good enough at it to prevent it from happening at all.
It could be because I'm lazy.
It could be because most towns aren't underground.
It could also be that it's because I do eventually get bored and make the death traps and such.

It's probably because I'm only sixteen.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 06:09:35 am »

Am I good, or am I good?
It could be because I'm lazy.
It could be because most towns aren't underground.
It could also be that it's because I do eventually get bored and make the death traps and such.

It's probably because I'm only sixteen.
Then wait for it and start your own coal mine.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 06:18:08 am »

I agree with Doomy.

I'll take the woodcutter.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 08:27:57 am »

You could always embark on a cave.  I've found the instant access to the underground to be FUN.  Especially if the resident megabeast is a cool one.

I'll wait for a migrant.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 03:38:08 pm »

You could always embark on a cave.  I've found the instant access to the underground to be FUN.  Especially if the resident megabeast is a cool one.

I'll wait for a migrant.

If you mix this idea with doom's embark ideas, and make it an evil biome, it should be epic proportions of Fun and firefly brains!

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lovecraft, an experimental community fort. Open to suggestions!
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 07:41:37 pm »

You are a group of dwarves from The Banner of Shimmering. You have been sent to the human town of Dabblecombines on an important mission: To convert it into a dwarven fortress. Because seriously, screw those guys.

Over 1000 years ago, those chumps let some eyeless hyena thing trick them into thinking it's a god, and it's been calling the shots ever since then. Which is stupid, since if you really wanted to let some god boss you around, you think a god of misery and torture would be the worst choice possible. But hey! You're not human, thankfully. And it looks to be a lovely site, apart from the salt-water aquifier.

At least you brought enough insect brains.

http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-8449-lovecraft

You have arrived at the future site of the fortress Lovecraft. You have parked right outside the limestone block keep. Dr. Admin, Doomy, and timferius have gone inside to scope out the locals, while Spartan 117 and JagoBallium have insinuated themselves into the populace the only way they know how: By getting totally blitzed at the bar.

There is an array of shops to the southeast. To the northeast is a temple, near to which hangs a thoroughly stupid bridge.

What will you do?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 07:47:14 pm by Frogwarrior »
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0
Pages: [1] 2 3